Another Newbie

Alan76

Hello. A modelling forum with special sections for 2FS AND the Manchester, Sheffield and Wath system! How could I not join? Let me introduce myself: my name is Alan Whitehouse. I've been a 2mm finescale person for about 10 years now and I'm the builder of Mini-MSW, the small circular layout based on the MSW (or Woodhead Route if you prefer). I've signed up partly at Andy York's gentle insistence because he suggested I attempt to post a picture or two of my latest project, a 2FS model of 'Tommy', the prototype MSW locomotive. I'm an IT dinosaur, but I will have a go a bit later, assuming this post is successful. I should also say that another excellent reason for signing up is the excellent quality of the modelling on view!

Alan

Hello Alan. Welcome to RMweb and the 2mm modelling area. These MSW electrics seem to be taking over judging by the number of models appearing on here!

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of 'Tommy' on here - was that the model you brought to the last 2mm NE group meeting?

Andy

Welcome aboard Alan, nice to see you here and have a respected MSW devotee around. yes.gif

Thanks for showing me 'Tommy' a couple of weeks ago; you've really captured the form.

Well, that worked up to a point - with the image about four times actual size at least you can see all the imperfections! I'm not able to post for the next few days so in the meantime I'll try to learn how to post pictures of a manageable size.

Don, thanks for your remark and hello to you too Julia.

Alan

I'm not able to post for the next few days so in the meantime I'll try to learn how to post pictures of a manageable size.

Hopefully you'll find this when you get back. An easy way is just to re-size the pictures first. Open in paint (or something more advanced) There is a re-size button obvious in the ribbon if you have Windows 7, otherwise it will be in the edit menu iirc. Enter a suitable reduction amount in both the boxes and then save as (you probably want to keep the original sized images somewhere?) and then upload the smaller photograph. They'll probably still be cruel though: photographs usually are to this scale.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

nice to see you here.

Having had the chance to see the model up close it is a work of art after the amount of work that I know you have put into it.

Looking forward to Rochdale and fingers crossed the 24 being ready.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum and especially the subforum - always admired MSW and it's good to see it here! Do I sense some backdating with that very pretty model of black Tommy?

Pix

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum and especially the subforum - always admired MSW and it's good to see it here! Do I sense some backdating with that very pretty model of black Tommy?

Pix

Oh, he already has more EM1 bodies than appear on his layout.

Chris

Back from a little holiday, so I'll try another picture in a minute... but first Thanks Tom for your support. Rich and Andy, thanks for the advice on picture sizing. I admit that Mrs W's done the one I'm about to post as she's handier at this sort of thing than I am. Pixie, thanks for the compliment and you're absolutely right, Chris Higgs knows the secret: I have a little stock of EM1 bodies which I intend completing in black to run alongside a small collection of ex GC steam locos. I've got vague ideas about a steam/electric project or even one where the period can be changed by swapping a few accessories. I'm thinking about tackling 26020 next - the Festival of Britain loco that had polished steel handrails and windscreen surrounds.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jack... Mini-MSW should also be in an upcoming edition of Model Rail - I think Ben's wanting to do a Woodhead special edition to tie in with the release of the 4mm Olivia's Trains Class 76s.

Archived