BR brake van liveries?

So should I, looking back at that post. Red/grey was 'the Speedlink livery' and thus only applicable to stock fitted with air brakes - vac fitted, piped or unfitted wagons should have retained existing liveries or, if repainted, been done in bauxite/brown. I do STR though that a few CAP (vac piped) brakes incorrectly got the red/grey.

Yes, seem to recall that around the same time as the red / grey speedlink livery appeared, or following introduction of TOPS,  the unfitted stock grey was discontinued, any unfitted stock repainted then being bauxite/brown, as brake status was then indicated by the TOPS code

• Informative/Useful 1

• 5 years later...
On 09/07/2011 at 10:26, hmrspaul said:

As you say Gent E (1999) British Railways Brake vans and ballast ploughs. Pub. By HMRS 92pp. ISBN 0 – 902835 – 16 –5. should be referred to for brake van liveries.

Paul Bartlett

So the good news, the book has been reduced from £12 to £4. The bad news dispatch has been delayed due to Covid.  

I've ordered a copy and am looking forward to it arriving when it comes so highly recommended.

11 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

So the good news, the book has been reduced from £12 to £4. The bad news dispatch has been delayed due to Covid.  

Where is the book available at £4? Seems a real bargain at that price.

On 09/07/2011 at 15:55, Pennine MC said:

It's in the Minutes of the Wagon Standards Subcommittee Paul, minute 5821 dated 28.2.63, and now I have it here it specifically says 'This code figure would supersede existing "XP" and "Star" markings. It goes on to list specific vehicle types/classes. It has a handwritten note, 'Amended - See Minute 5851', which I dont think I have any notes of, but as it's clearly only a proposal, that might refer to its non-adoption.

If you need anything more, get one of my friends to let you have my email addy (as you can't PM me), or if you find it it, would you report back on whether 5851 adds anything?

Sorry to jump back a long way, but this relates to a query I posted recently about the 1964 speed classification box. Has anyone got a copy of the list in the above mentioned minute please ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update - RE the brake van book from HMRS.

It's arrived and it's an excellent source of information for anyone interested in the subject and their use from the steam days of BR right through to EWS livered brake vans - a great read!

Also I'd like to publicly thank Tony & Heather Straw who run the HMRS bookshop for their efforts to get this book to me. There have been some delays and issues caused by the Covid crisis, but they kept me informed throughout and got the item delivered much quicker than was originally envisaged - great service, many thanks. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/08/2020 at 23:41, HGR said:

Sorry to jump back a long way, but this relates to a query I posted recently about the 1964 speed classification box. Has anyone got a copy of the list in the above mentioned minute please ?

The OP got it from the NRM, you could try their free enquiry service - search.engine@railwaymuseum.org.uk