Heljan O Gauge Class 20

Guest Digital

• 1 month later...
Guest Digital

The 20's and the coaches will be un-numbered so you can have what number you like. Just make sure with the 20 that you do not choose an ex token recess one as they have deeper side windows.

According to the Tower models Website The ship carrying the Heljan Class 20's from China is due to arrive at Southampton on 8th Feb.

John

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Digital

Both now in stock at Hattons http://www.ehattons....cklist/new.aspx

No pictures just yet but there are some pictures on the Heljan website http://www.Heljan.dk...d&artikelid=254

Edit : Some better pics on Modelfair http://www.modelfair.com/whats_new.htm

Tower Models website shows them arriving at Southampton now on the 13th Feb.

Must be on a slower boat.

Well here you are then a blue Heljan 20. It looks the part which is a good sign. As usual there are a couple of improvements to be done. Number one is to put some decent Oleo's on. the front and rear cab windows have the rubber moulded on but not painted so some black paint needed there. The long handrail should have more of a curve on it where it goes from horizontal to verticle. The yellow on the cab end does not come round the cab corner far enough so I will touch it in with Railmatch 204 which is the specified colour match just have to see if the Chinese did a good match. Exhaust could do with opening out or just painting black. The rad fan needs painting red. But apart from these little niggles it's a very nice model. There are spare headcode discs in the box and the usual style snow plows and the cab steps are separate for you to add yourself (which I have done on this one). The air pipes are already fitted but could do with a bit of white and yellow paint on the ends but the MU jumpers are already painted orange. Just got to decide on a number to put on it now.

post-6766-1265539990884_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655399930204_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655399953435_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655399972998_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655399991672_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655400011539_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655400035396_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655400058467_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12655400081682_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished detailing up the Heljan 20 a little bit. It's generaly bufferbeam stuff to do. The first thing to do is take it apart. This done by unscrewing the chassis via 4 shiny screws then to remove the cab from the body you have to use a sharp knife blade to prize the 2 large rear windows out. Then there are 2 screws in the cab front to undo. The 2 small front windows pushed out ok but the side windows are glued in to much to remove them. With the front and back windows removed it's easy to paint the window rubber edge black. I replaced the 2 handrails on the rear with a couple of spare castings I had from my previous JLTRT kits but should be an easy job to bend a piece of wire and make a support for it. I also painted out the silver window frame. The BR Blue version needs the yellow painting round the corner of the cab a bit further so I used Railmatch 304 Yellow with a bit of orange in it to get a pretty good match. Also unscrewed the rad fan and painted that red. The cab interior was removed and painted in suitable colours. Further along the body I painted the small handles blue and put a better curve in the long handrail at the front. On the bufferbeams I replaced the airpipes with some JLTRT under bufferbeam fitting ones and cut off the MU cable from the jumper and replaced it with rubber tubing and also lowered the socket on the right hand side of the buffer. The buffers are from JLTRT as well. I replaced the speedo on the axle end with a spare JLTRT one as well. You could add some pipe work around either side of the battery box if you want but I have done all I want to on this except for a bit of muck of course. I have removed a black and a blue wire from the terminal block to disconnect the red tail lights as I don't want these on with a train behind it. It's a bit of trial and errtr as to which 2 black and blue wire to disconnect. I put a bit of yellow paint on the white LEDs as well to tone them down a bit and some black paint on the covered over disc LEDs as they were shining through the yellow disc! One thing though don't put the steps on untill you have finished doing it up as I now need a new setsad.gif

All in all a nice loco. There are a couple of pictures of it next to a JLTRT 20. I have used a few bits I know from JLTRT but I had them in the spares box so I should use them. I don't know if they would do a "bufferbeam detailing set" for sale?

post-6766-126693890389_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693891754_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693892052_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693892288_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693892615_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693892865_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693893079_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693893342_thumb.jpg

post-6766-126693893626_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes - nice model that 20057 - for the BR Blue version it's a real shame Heljan have cocked up the painting somewhat where the yellow meets the blue at the cab end as noted above - not everyone is an expert at having to paint some extra yellow on! You can do without having to get the paint brush out straight away on a RTR model. The discs on the Heljan one seem to sit a bit flush compared to 20009. How does the Heljan one run? - spoke to a model shop owner the other day who had a couple returned for attention due to poor running - anyone else? - hopefully not....

Headcode discs are fine on the Heljan 20 I think. It is a shame about the yellow though isn't it.

I ran this at an O Gauge running session a week ago and it ran just fine, until a motor decided to leave it's housingangry.gif The motors are held in place by a clamp arrangement which had come loose allowing the motor to rise up and de-mesh the gears. Just a case of poke it back down and tighten the clamp up again. No great problem, just hope it don't keep doing it! One good thing on this loco is that when you remove the body the wires are long enough to get in and do stuff.

• 2 weeks later...