removing Paint on Diecast vehicles.

shinter

hi Folks

I use Caustic Soda in warm water to remove paint from Diecast toys such as the Corgi toy Lorries .

Unfortunately I have just found a coffee jar full of lorries that I put in over Christmas and forgot about.

The paint has fallen off , but I have a crystal like deposit left on the bare metal which won't come off , even when I attack it with a wire brush in the Dremal drill .

I guess an unwanted chemical action has taken place , anyone got any ideas for getting the stuff off ?

thanks in advance

Martin

• 2 months later...

I guess caustic soda is your preferred method of paint stripping; Nitromors is obviously another, the worst that happens with that if you leave it too long, is it dries out and forms like a 'shell' or 'skin'

which isnt too hard to remove but there seems to be no other downside. I expect youve overcome the crystal like deposit problem by now (sorry dont read RM web very often!) I think probably the best you could do is scrape off the heaviest deposits with a blade or something, and maybe sandpaper smooth anything remaining. Hopefully anything remaining wont react with the paint when you get that far. There might be some sort of neutralising chemical you can rinse the castings in before you paint (?)

There might be some sort of neutralising chemical you can rinse the castings in before you paint (?)

Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide so you can neutralise with an acid, such as a vinegar solution. This is good practice when using caustic soda, regardless of the fact that the OP now has deposits on their model.

The deposits are zinc oxide, the material is an alloy of Magnesium and Zinc, and is the same white powder that appears with Mazak rot.. It indicates impurities in the metal, which usually are very low, and do not affect anything, but the Sodium Hydroxide has got at the metal structure, and may well have done permanent damage.

It does mean that once the powder is formed, more damp may cause more breakdown of the metal..

With all Mazak die cast it is better to use Nitromors or Methanol based, and to remove asap. If the Caustic soda method is used, then only leave till paint shifts, no more, and then a mild acid wash, like vinegar to rid it of caustic.

Another way is soaking in cellulose thinners, no possible harm to the metal, but slow and expensive.

I frankly do not think you will be able to stop the oxide completely, apart from effective sanding away, if pitting of the metal has already occurred then it may be fatal to long term use.

hope this helps,

Stephen.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how you've got on with the replies above, but I use nail-varnish remover to strip die-cast paint work.

It doesn't matter how much the nail varnish remover costs, because what matters is the ingredients, you are looking for a product called ACETONE.

Acetone is a solvent, and can be used to lift paint and debond superglue, but it will also lift the natural oils out of your skin (your hands will feel cold), it is advisable to rinse your hands and models after being stripped.

Thanks for all the advice folks .

As you would have gathered , I am very forgetful and had forgotten not only the Corgi lorries in the Jar , but also that I had posted a cry for help !

Clearly I need in future to revise my paint stripping procedures and find a way of reminding myself .

kind regards

m

• 3 months later...
Guest AlexTM

Hi folks,

Just came across this thread. I found Nitromors to be the best at stripping the models; you just have to remember to make sure you have removed every non-metallic part before going near the stuff. Wash off the gunge with warm soapy water and do it in a well ventilated place. Like a lot of these suggested chemicals, this stuff is not good for the skin so I would suggest heavy duty rubberised gloves (I use the type that can be found in the garden section of well known DIY stores). Once you have used them a few times you may find you get a bit of a tingling sensation - that's the time to get new gloves, although they'll still be fine for garden muck.

Hope this is of help, even if late in arriving.

regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys for all the guidance , it is much appreciated . I have now updated my methods , with succesful results .

Although I have not been able to save the original vehicles, it has been a procees of positive discovery , in that as well as the deposits , the vehicles fall apart ( almost crumble )

An ideal situation when they are destined for a scap yard scene !

kind regards

Martin

Thanks for all the advice folks .

As you would have gathered , I am very forgetful and had forgotten not only the Corgi lorries in the Jar , but also that I had posted a cry for help !

Clearly I need in future to revise my paint stripping procedures and find a way of reminding myself .

kind regards

m

If you're married then just leave the jar of them on the kitchen table or coffee table, you'll get reminded daily about them!

doesn't work if you live on your own.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back life to this old thread, but I have recently been having problems removing the paint from old Hornby Dublo loco bodies using Nitromors stripper.  On closer inspection I have found that the formulae has changed, because certain chemicals have been banned.  Has anyone else had this problem, and have you any advice as to the way forward.  I still have a few bodies to respray, and would like to get back to the bare castings.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

On closer inspection I have found that the formulae has changed, because certain chemicals have been banned.  Has anyone else had this problem, and have you any advice as to the way forward.  I still have a few bodies to respray, and would like to get back to the bare castings.

what's changed is that the Nanny State decrees that the bloke in the street cant be trusted with the chemicals that used to be in Nitromors; so they remove them making the product as good as useless,and a waste of money.

What they dont tell you is, you can still buy products which have the same makeup as the old Nitromors, but you have to be a 'professional' i.e. not the bloke in the street. Once you find a supplier (most places that mix/sell paint for instance) you can just go and buy it. I get my stripper in 5Litre tubs for about £27, which works exactly the same as the old Nitromors, but at that price is an absolute bargain. Previous to that a 375ml tin (yes,apart from changing the formula, they made the tin smaller and charge the same price) of Nitromors was almost £12.

There is a similar situation whereby supposedly lead is banned from being used in paint. It isnt banned, I have a local paint manufacturer who confirmed it- but the rules and regulations about using lead in paint manufacture are so strict, it costs the manufacturers a fortune to comply, and so it ends up not being worth their while. Thats the only reason lead has all but disappeared from paint you can buy.

I recall using brake fluid to strip paint off models - way back in the early '80s.  It certainly removed Humbrol enamel quite effectively.

I expect there is an EU regulation that means this is frowned on now and/or they have altered the formula so that it is no longer capable of stripping paint.

• 1 year later...

Brake Fluid is good and still doesn't affect plastics in my experience. Is water soluble to boot. Fairy Power spray works well on some paints as does Dettox.

For METAL ONLY  Nitromors can be effective but the best I have found is B&Qs own Diall paint stripper. Comes in a white plastic bottle, smells quite nice, is alcohol based so  relatively benign, cheap at 2.99 a bottle and best of all Bl**dy effective.

• RMweb Gold

Brake Fluid is good and still doesn't affect plastics in my experience. Is water soluble to boot. Fairy Power spray works well on some paints as does Dettox.

For METAL ONLY  Nitromors can be effective but the best I have found is B&Qs own Diall paint stripper. Comes in a white plastic bottle, smells quite nice, is alcohol based so  relatively benign, cheap at 2.99 a bottle and best of all Bl**dy effective.

Ah yes! see here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101903-inappropriate-stripper/ for what that stuff does to a plastic loco body.....!!!!

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Archived