Polpendra, Cornish branch in N 1958-62

bridgiesimon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For anyone in the area, I will be exhibiting Polpendra at the Ross on Wye exhibition this weekend -

John Kyrle High School, Ledbury Rd, Ros on Wye, HR9 7ET. Show is open 10-4 both Sat and Sun!!

Am looking forward to the show, I will be runing mostly diesels for the wekend for a change with the view to runing 1970 only in the future!

I have had a couple pieces of damage to sort out this afternoon after the jooint where the front fascia joins has opened a litle and cracked the plaster, possibly the heat? Anyway all covered and hidden now!

Best wishes and hope to see some of you there, please say hello

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Simon, I would have really liked to have met you yesterday. However, my youngest son (and family) who lives directly opposite JKHS just shows no interest at all in trains of any description so there was no invite to attend (from 36E)

Looking forward to pics.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

You missed a hall that can only be described as an oven, sweltering all weekend, likely to be the reason it was rather quieter than expected!

Although I enjoy exhibiting, I am pleased to be home, shame I have to work tomorrow though!

Best wishes

Simon

• 1 month later...

Excellent Layout ! using your layout and a 00 version I saw at Northholt show last year I am building a 00 version here in South Africa Its, 8 ft x 16 in.

and will use my GWR stock. Hope I can get near your standard of realisem

• 2 months later...

Hi guys any one around the Ilse of Wight this weekend?

Polpendra and I will be there -

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/7972-Wightrail2013

Looking forward to the show, thankfully the storm  was last week otherwise getting there and home would have been a problem!!

Several new acquisitions have been prepared for the weekend including some of the new Dapol models such as the Grampus and fruit D adn from Bachfar, Southern brake vans and Mk1 horse box.

Have had a couple days off so I have been able to check everything but that does not always result in trouble free weekends.

If you are there, please say hello.

Just read back and noticed I was going to take and add piccies, oh dear, never did - smached hand, I will take my camera at the weekend and take some to upload nmext week.

best wishes

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

OK, after 3 weeks with 3 shows and 3 different layouts, I have time to breath again so here are a few photos as a mini update -

Firstl, a trio of my more recent acquisitions -

Bachmann Warship, Bachmann Mk1 horsebox and a Dapol fruit D van, all superb models I am really pleased with.

post-3347-0-95240200-1384969499.jpg

Another recent addition to the fleet is a Dapol D6300 in Br blue fdor the 1970s era, an awesome model which will be joined by a greenie one sometime soon.

post-3347-0-71984400-1384969492.jpg

(This really needs weathering, much too clean)

Next picture shows the arrival of the quarry shunter and a short train of loaded china clay wagons, the shunter will exchange them for the empties left in the rear siding so a BR loco can collect them later to take down to the mainline.

post-3347-0-58966600-1384969482.jpg

I have also acquired a rake of the lovely, if wagons can be, Dapol grampus wagons which I have loaded and weathered, a pleasing short train ideal for the layout.

post-3347-0-82855600-1384969389.jpg

94xx arrives on the brake van special, a train I got together ages ago but really like running.

post-3347-0-86281800-1384969450.jpg

I am afraid I like my bubblecars and could not resist posing the pair of them in the station att he same time, looks great!!

post-3347-0-59479400-1384969471.jpg

Finally, a rarely seen view - under the hill from the back of the layout showing just how little headrom there is under there!!

post-3347-0-49840000-1384969864.jpg

Hope you like these, comments welcome and appreciated.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

7 months since my last post, blomin eck!! Anyway, we have a show with Polpendra next week, Sat 21st June

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/7994-GloucesterModelRailwayShow

We are really looking fiorward to this as we have not shown the layout since Januar, I will take some piccies and add as well as some vidz if I can.

Hope to see some of you there.

Best wishes

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

The Gloucester show was great and despite the very hot weather, it was not too quiet. The layout ran really well without any major issues despite not really being used for nearly 6 months, proves the importance of time spent before a show cleaning and servicing!!

Anyway, it has given me motivation to really get on and I havce got the airbrush out and have been weathering the motive power, piccies to follow!!

Best wishes

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

New lead arrived and works, cue the manic laughing!!

Anyway, am pretty pleased with my weathering attempts -

Starting with the little one, the 03 shunter -

post-3347-0-31034100-1404929979.jpg

Then had a go at the old class 25 from Farish, a very old model, brass gears in this one!!

post-3347-0-46732500-1404930044.jpg

Followed by the class 22, tried to match the factory weathered one I already have to a certain degree as well as looking at piccies.

post-3347-0-91321200-1404929965.jpg

And finally my pair of warships, the piccie does not show up the grime added to the roof though, photography not my strong point!!

post-3347-0-97193800-1404929987.jpg

post-3347-0-36713700-1404930055.jpg

Anyway, please let me know what you think and anything I should do differently, better, shouldn't have done etc. Always ready to learn!!

Best wishes

Simon

post-3347-0-72871500-1404930003.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

just the airbrush and non air brush thingy but I do think I need to add some downward streaking especially on the class 22.

Best wishes

Simon

The one thing about a 22 is you can never have too much weathering - if you think you've overdone it just look around on Flickr, there will be a shot somewhere of a real one that looks worse :)

Try spraying a whole loco side in 'gunk' colour, wait 6 hours or so, then wipe most off in downward strokes with a thinner soaked cotton bud - leaves the dirt in all the nooks and crannies, just like the real thing. Add dry brushing to taste when thoroughly dry

Sounds interesting, will give it a go, just ordered a greenie one to go with my 2 blue ones and my worsley works disc headcode one.

Been spraying a pair of class 31 bodies today into Br blue with full yellow ends, not for Polpendra but for my next long term project which will go onto here at some point when I am further on with the layouts I have and when the exhibitions slow down a little.

Speaking of which, Polpendra will be at the Ross on Wye show -

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/9149-RossonWyeModelRailwayExhibition

• Sat 16th August 2014 - Sun 17th August 2014
  • John Kyrle High School, Ledbury RD, Ross On Wye, Herefordshire HR9 7ET
    OPENING TIMES: SAT & SUN 10am- 4pm

Got some time off hence the spraying so better get on with Polpendra, sorting and tidying scenics, checking everything etc.

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

Just found this thread and have been admiring this fantastic little layout. Great track plan and looks like there is a lot of operational interest there. The overall scene and subtle weathering are excellent, really impressed with your modelling. 

David

Thank you for the comments David, most appreciated.

The track plan came from an Iain Rice book so cannot claim to have drawn it but i like the balance achieved with it.

Best wishes

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Ian Rice plan it may be but you have certainly brought it to life and given some fantastic individual character... Top stuff!!

David