James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Nice modelling James.

Probably partly explains why I model 30 years ago with rose tinted glasses, before the rise of the underclass who think this sort of thing is acceptable .

It's not even artistic is it ? At least in places like Spain some of the graffiti is artistic to some extent !

Thanks Rob!

Some of the multi-colour 'mural' graffiti can look appealing when done in the right place, but I must agree that generally it's not normally very artistic..!

The one-colour 'tagging' is particularly bad - but it's always interesting to see the lengths that these guys go to in applying their tags to the most remote places, very often on the railway you see a tag and just think "how did they even get up there?!"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while since the last update, what with work commitments and the successful Worthing MRC show featuring the newly-enlarged Loftus Road debuting (and working!) - much action has been taking place on layout scenics and less workbench-friendly rolling stock projects!!

Big news is that Railtec have now released the First Great Western 'fag packet' metallic gold transfers - I've worked with Steve over a number of months to help design these and Steve's done a great job bringing them to market, with stripes to repaint the current Hornby power cars, logos and detailing pieces and also a pack for additional coaching stock - I recommend viewing the Railtec website!

Work can now recommence on my FGW HST, I've already started to strip and prepare the power cars for a coat of green, exciting times ahead and photos to follow in due course!!

• Like 1

Thankfully I was talking to the tour guide and after a long chat he gave me the wagons tops list as I'd purchased the loco list. However you need a degree in code breaking to understand the majority of it!

This OBA is a freightliner example and one of only 7 freightliner has on its books (it has 3 OCA wagons as well)

They have the following OBAs

And they have the following OCA wagons

The example I got a snap of is OBA 110414 I think?

*NOTE: I am NOT a wagon spotter!!! Never have been and never will be*

Freightliner don't own any OBA or OCA, all the above wagons are owned by DBS

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's the next 'retro' Brush out of the works! 

47712 Artemis in the smart Fragonset colour scheme. It's hard to think of something this new being 'retro' but a sobering thought to think that it's not far off 20 years old! 

28297737224_9d81189fb4_b.jpg47712 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Based on another Bachmann model, 47712 utilises an old Railfreight example, with modified underframe from a Heljan '47'.

28297740964_ecb4bf0815_b.jpg47712 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've modelled 47712 in two guises now, both in this livery and it's 'Blue Pullman' incarnation just days after the real thing was unveiled in it's attractive blue livery.  I can't imagine modelling something that quick these days!!

Despite the gorgeous blue colours, it's always been the attractive black colour scheme that 'did it' for me - this particular 47 was another to leave a mark on me - as a 14yr old visiting relatives in Didcot one Winter Sunday afternoon in 1999, I was allowed to go back to the station and as soon as we walked up the steps to platform 3, in came a West-bound VXC service with Virgin's 47841 Spirit of Chester towing a dead 47712, absolutely covered in oil! The noise and smell was incredible...good times!

28630408440_39cb7fc000_b.jpg47712 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Moving back to the model, the loco was painted in standard Humbrol colours, gloss black and No.1 grey for the roof, with Fox Transfers livery elements and matching plates. The roof has been weathered with the paint-on/wipe-off method, it's a bit of a dirty one!

28299914573_69236e9f28_b.jpg47712 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The axleboxes are also inconsistently painted! A set of white pipework was liberated from a Virgin 57, one day I will get round to scratchbuilding a proper replacement and reunite that 57 with the robbed parts!

28915539985_2145930596_b.jpg47712 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This one was highly enjoyable to model, so much nostalgia flooding back and really good to see in model form. This will inevitably join the head of a Virgin Cross-Country set, maybe with an optional 47841 on the front for good measure!

It's about 42 sleeps to Christmas but I'm not done yet, there is much more work on Loftus Road buildings coming, some HST power cars and another Brush - I won't spoil the surprise but the next one is elegant, rarely modelled and very, very classy!

Cheers

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

some more great work as usual! could i ask what model club loftus road is part of?

Thanks, we're in the Worthing MRC with our Loftus Road - website here www.worthingmrc.co.uk

We've got Stafford as our next outing in late January so it's all hands on deck to finish our slice of West London ready for the show!

• Like 1

Thanks, we're in the Worthing MRC with our Loftus Road - website here www.worthingmrc.co.uk

We've got Stafford as our next outing in late January so it's all hands on deck to finish our slice of West London ready for the show!

I live not too far from kensington olympia station, and find the layout very interesting as I can relate to it very well! What is the next exhibition down south so I can come see!

• RMweb Premium

I live not too far from kensington olympia station, and find the layout very interesting as I can relate to it very well! What is the next exhibition down south so I can come see!

Thanks, we keep trying to add the all-important clues to the layout to get that 'Kensington feel' and although it's early stages I can confirm that there are some absolutelu huge Kensington references coming up on our new scenic boards taking shape!

We're booked in for the Salisbury show next year, but I'm sure there will be other Southern-based shows in due course, we'll make sure the Loftus Road thread is kept updated with latest invites!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

just been having a catchup.

those open wagons are superb

Thanks! It's been a while since I've battered any wagons and starting to miss it - the thrill of a small project you can throw together over a few nights is hard to beat!

Right now I've been reading David Monk-Steele's great book on the Merry-Go-Round coal workings and I'm just itching to attack my few (well, 36) HAA hoppers!!

I'll definitely be having a right perve around Warley for some cheap wagon projects to scratch that dirty itch!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the new FTG Models 'SPA' steel wagons now released, and being on annual leave for the festive period, I couldn't resist taking a bash at one!

28630412620_8a68d221fb_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This model is based on the recoded 'SEA' wagon, 461057, in rusty grey livery.

28810307862_9f41e345b7_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here's how the project went....

28297754244_4cd7dd47e0_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There's a thread in this very forum discussing the FTG Models SPA wagon in detail, as you can see above, the first batch arrives in red Railfreight livery. All is looking lovely and shiny at this point, but not for long! 

First, all lettering is scraped away with a scalpel, and a coat of Phoenix 'cement rendering' grey applied to cover the bright red, while the insides painted in a layered selection of browns. The metal flooring is treated to coats of Humbrol 62, 186 and then 32, with much paint-on/wipe-off action to build up the shades.

28883939896_ddffe3ee70_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Varying browns were also painted and wiped down the outer sides of the body to generate a streaky rust effect, as seen on the prototype SEA 461057. Listening to late 90s dance music greatly helps the weathering process.

Being a steel coil wagon, photographs show that the supporting wooden frames frequently get a good bashing during loading - Flickr has some great shots of these huge wooden beams absolutely smashed to bits in the bottom of these wagons. It seemed rude not to follow suit..!

28297758894_28e9638d51_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

After a touch of weathering with browns, greys and green tinges, the supporting wooden section was glued back in to the wagon floor. Two additional large beams were added from plastic strip, for carrying larger steel coils, again as seen on Flickr.

28299930713_ca41c723c8_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

With the body treated to a cocktail of browns, applied light to dark, it was time to move on to the underframe. I plonk Humbrols 1, 32, 33, 34, 62, and 186 into a tinfoil dish and swizzle around with the brush in a random manner, mottling the colours on the underframe until they look reasonable, often with a subtle bias of the rustier shades around the brakes.

Branding was added, TOPS patches made up in CorelDraw with the Gunplay stencil font, and some of the standard OHLE flashes applied at the usual trendy angles!

28297764444_b3684bc119_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28915554925_c13bf09e76_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There was some deep bodyside scarring on this particular wagon; the plastic sides were scratched with a scalpel before weathering, the idea being that the darker browns get trapped in the grooves. These are then highlighted with further rust streaking afterwards.

28630424800_57fabde477_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Lashing eyes were picked out in brilliant white (I say brilliant, its actually Humbrol 34 which isn't as good as it used to be!) and are surprisingly clean considering the rest of the wagon.

28883946316_ff675d4345_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

My Flickr browsing also revealed many wagons had some remnants of the strapping left inside the empty wagons, so this was added - masking tape cut up in thin strips and threaded around the wooden beams. The model was then ready for a coat of Humbrol matt varnish.

28297770464_3d3aca0dc1_b.jpgSEA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And there we go! Quite a quick project (these wagons arrived through my door on Friday) but pretty enjoyable. They're the very first wagons I've ever modelled for any form of steel traffic, might have to look at getting a few bolster wagons now!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 13