Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing it upsized.

Can I interest you in a 26" long, curved, 10" high, Micro Engineering trestle? :sungum:

Andrew

You really dont like that trestle do you!!!

I bit high for the Florida Everglades me thinks :stinker:

Hmmm, maybe we can get it to sink into a swamp. :locomotive:

With the more or less finalised redesign of Essex it no longer serves a purpose. I will likely scrap the bents and recover the decks for 4 or 5 smaller girder bridges.

Once I have recovered the trackwork will be extended over the bridge.

Now what type of bridge shall I put in the gap!!

Ian

I have just exactly the right thing for you -  approx half way down this page and onwards  http://teamtrack.soforums.com/t984-Reseau-modulaire.htm?start=180   post is by Chris in Strasbourg

Unfortunately it is in French (and O gauge, - a cracking simple 3 x turnout layout, though!) and I can't get the translated version to post - use Google translate if you need to, but the pictures read internationally!  I hope that one helps!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

interesting reading on that link , Jack.

Ian , I was going to suggest a bascule type bridge - there is one in Tampa that is well photographed , and also one near Orlando (I think it's on the FEC) , there are several photos on railpictures.net of that one.

• RMweb Gold

I have just exactly the right thing for you -  approx half way down this page and onwards  http://teamtrack.soforums.com/t984-Reseau-modulaire.htm?start=180   post is by Chris in Strasbourg

Unfortunately it is in French (and O gauge, - a cracking simple 3 x turnout layout, though!) and I can't get the translated version to post - use Google translate if you need to, but the pictures read internationally!  I hope that one helps!

Thanks for that link. Funnily enough I was contemplating such a thing after studying numerous Florida rail bridge photos.

Its a superb model. Really like the way the rust has been done on it.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

interesting reading on that link , Jack.

Ian , I was going to suggest a bascule type bridge - there is one in Tampa that is well photographed , and also one near Orlando (I think it's on the FEC) , there are several photos on railpictures.net of that one.

They do like that style of bridge in Florida.

Here is a link to one just outside Fort Myers (scroll down a bit on the page) although its a little too big for the creek that I need to span.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminole_Gulf_Railway

• RMweb Gold

They do like that style of bridge in Florida.

Here is a link to one just outside Fort Myers (scroll down a bit on the page) although its a little too big for the creek that I need to span.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminole_Gulf_Railway

A similar bridge exists in Beziers, France. It connects a factory on the south side of the Canal du Midi to the main line so quite small. I've never seen it used and it is usually kept in the raised position for boats to pass. But as recently as a year ago the rails connected to it looked quite shiny so I think it must be used occasionally.

Edit to add:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/69735854

Edit:

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

They are called Bascule Bridges. Fairly common east of the Mississippi. 
There's a famous, rather large one over the Mystic River.

Of course a very famous one for the English is Tower Bridge which is a double leaf bascule bridge.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Sorry just read Superned's post.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They are called Bascule Bridges. Fairly common east of the Mississippi. 

There's a famous, rather large one over the Mystic River.

Of course a very famous one for the English is Tower Bridge which is a double leaf bascule bridge.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Sorry just read Superned's post.

Nope, can't quite see Tower Bridge from the Rake but have been drinking Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout!

Still trying to get some inspiration but drinking Floris cactus keeps my mind wandering.

Ian

You really need to concentrate and keep focused,maybe if you moved away from the bar towards the window there might be a chance you would see Tower bridge :scratchhead: ,then again it will be dark, you have a place at the bar,it's a no brainer to me :stinker:

Ray

P.S if you don't get any inspiration,you could always try again tomorrow,this time get in earlier that extra one may just work!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Have you heard of Micro pubs?

Well the Rake isn't far of those tiny pub sizes so sitting at the bar you are very much not far off the windows but being London there's always another building on the way.

Any way it wouldn't have made much difference as I sat firmly drooling at those nice American and continental beers either side of some very nice ales on hand pump.

Unfortunately I had to extract myself away to catch the train hone.

All is not lost as I can try for more inspiration when I get off the train and walk home via Wetherspoons!!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Especially as Wetherspoons are currently offering three beers from Sixpoint Brewing of NY in cans...and very nice they are too,

Depending on where you are they are doing 2 for £5 on those, and Brewdog or Goose Island, or Brooklyn. If you've got a friendly barman you can even get them to take away. ask me how I know.

• RMweb Gold

Not tried canned American craft beer as never been fond of beer out of cans but will give these a try at some point.

Well, after a few beers last night I didn't get any further with the track plan... Just fell asleep!!!

However I am considering widening the juice plant and leaving it attached to the rest of the layout. The downside is that it won't make the layout look much different to how it used to look.

Couple of photos taken this morning one clearly showing the new framework against thy e original. Another shot shows the scenic side. The resin water will be removed before pouring new resin in to the extended waterway.

post-1557-0-00614900-1395923754_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-36807100-1395923761_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

Ian, there are 2 versions of that kit. The older one is more Mexican looking and should fit with Ft Myers quite well. I've got one still sitting 3/4 complete. One day.......

BTW, you need to start on the canned beers. Some beauties there. Modus Hoperandi from Ska and their chocolate mint stout for starters.