Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

Can we have a US beer topic? (Anheuser Busch , Miller and Inbev excluded).

:offtopic:

Old joke:

The presidents of Anheuser Busch, Miller, and Guinness are all at a beer convention, so they go out to dinner together

The president of Anheuser Busch tells the waiter, "I'll have a Budweiser".

The president of Miller tells the waiter, "I'll have a Miller High Life".

The president of Guiness tells the waiter, "I'll have a Coca-Cola".

The other two presidents look at him and ask, "Why aren't you having a Guinness?"

The president of Guiness says, "If you two gentlemen aren't drinking beer tonight, neither shall I!"

:jester:  :tomato:  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic:

Old joke:

The presidents of Anheuser Busch, Miller, and Guinness are all at a beer convention, so they go out to dinner together

The president of Anheuser Busch tells the waiter, "I'll have a Budweiser".

The president of Miller tells the waiter, "I'll have a Miller High Life".

The president of Guiness tells the waiter, "I'll have a Coca-Cola".

The other two presidents look at him and ask, "Why aren't you having a Guinness?"

The president of Guiness says, "If you two gentlemen aren't drinking beer tonight, neither shall I!"

:jester:  :tomato:  :sungum:

Today some one at work said that there is no decent beer in the USA.

When I told him that there were over 2400 craft breweries in the USA he just looked at me in complete deisbelief.

I didnt go on to tell him that some brewries here import brewing equipment from the USA these days.

Ian

PS. Portland, Oregon is smaller than Manchester but yet it has over 40 craft breweries and the number growing quicker than we can visit them!!

Edited by roundhouse

Today some one at work said that there is no decent beer in the USA.

When I told him that there were over 2400 craft breweries in the USA he just looked at me in complete deisbelief.

I didnt go on to tell him that some brewries here import brewing equipment from the USA these days.

Ian

PS. Portland, Oregon is smaller than Manchester but yet it has over 40 craft breweries and the number growing quicker than we can visit them!!

Oh, there's absolutely good beer available in the US.  Just not the two I mentioned... :sungum:   

True story:  Just outside of Fenway park there's a small brewpub called "Boston Beer Works".  I was in there once before a Red Sox game when a couple of dipsticks walked in and ordered a Bud.  They were outraged that this bar only sold their own beers, and left to go to a different bar...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress so far on the extended board.

As mentioned before I am not happy the way the new embankment looks and the bridge is going to be quite short as it is at the moment.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Ian

post-1557-0-21002500-1395924055_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse

The Walthers trestle would be a fine bridge for that. girder section over the main channel with double bents on each side and maybe one bent either side of that at a closer spacing. That would give a fairly typical look. If you need more headroom, substitute a Micro Engineering 30' plate girder bridge as the centre section.

The other option would be to have the main channel hard against the vertical abutment, so have the wider portion there, and then use the trestle on the far (right) side of it

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Progress so far on the extended board.

As mentioned before I am not happy the way the new embankment looks and the bridge is going to be quite short as it is at the moment.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Ian

As Dutch Master already mentioned, widen the channel.  Even if that channel opens up to a much larger bay "further inland", its very narrow and would only be able to handle small pleasure boats.  If that's your intent, that's fine...

You're already doing a bunch of scenic work, I would suggest widening it up by removing up to where the track stops on the right of the pic, and also more on the new board as well.  I've drawn a couple of lines on your photo to show what I'm thinking...

post-7591-0-84365900-1395404009_thumb.png

BTW - while my line cuts through the dock, I would put it back in place once the new waterway is finished.

Note that the waterway is now not at a right angle to the trackwork, which to me is a benefit...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I can certainly cut back the original area but I am limited to the new area as the new bards end at the edge of the photo and the end needs to be at track level when its abutted to another Fremo module.

I have the Walthers trestle on its way to me via Long Island Jack so I am going to use that and only have enough clearance for airboats and other small boats.

I will seriously look at putting the creek at an angle even if not quite as much as Mikes marks

Regards

Ian

If you're Supersizing, Ian, You'll need a 'Big Gulpee Train" as opposed to a Juice Train.....btw the latest RailPace Mag is complaining that Tropicana have allowed the Juice Train to enter disrepair and become squalid........it does look rather nasty now.

Best, Pete.

Some piccies of "Da Jooss Train" here

http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7493&p=135080#p135080

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link. They are badly graffitied aren't they.

I now have the trestle bridge...thanks Ray.

Another day at Ally Pally and after last nights session in London there is no progress to report on the layout!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Oh, there's absolutely good beer available in the US.  Just not the two I mentioned... :sungum:   

True story:  Just outside of Fenway park there's a small brewpub called "Boston Beer Works".  I was in there once before a Red Sox game when a couple of dipsticks walked in and ordered a Bud.  They were outraged that this bar only sold their own beers, and left to go to a different bar...

Unfortunately the main stream beers here compare to the likes of Courage ( you need it to drink it) Theres some superb beers available. New Orleans has one of the best IPA's I've tried

Bloody hell, Ian we've actually been in the same place (except I couldn't remember the name of it).

Usually I look to you for new places to go..........

Can I admit to not being a fan of Cajun food? My favourite restaurant there was a French one, very good but again I can't recall the name.

Have you been to Charleston yet? Like N'Orleans except cleaner and nicer with a British flair.

I thought it looked familiar and reminded me of Barbados - I've just found out that the original city plan of Charleston was based on Bridgetown, Barbados - which is my personal favourite Carib island.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Charleston is a great place, I spent my Honeymoon there. Unlike 99% of the USA traffic lights are like the UK and mounted on poles at the side of the road and me and my wife looked on both in shock and laughter to watch drivers shoot through red lights because they were looking up and not to the sides of the road.

Yes its clean with some good rail action and a great sea food and Mexican restaurants. Just to the north is IIRC Boone Hall, where one of the epic American Civil war movies/ TV series was filmed.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

After a good day yesterday visiting various ale houses in East Kent today is a dry day.

I have just one more to widen. The new board is now assembled and the photos show it abetted to the one that still requires widening.

I have placed some track on the new board and a few cars just to see how it looks.

The mainline is the track with the job car on it. This track does curve quite sharp to get back to the centre of the board in case another module is added at this end.

The other track that comes into this is the line that went to the juice factory and may yet do so again but that's for the future.

I am thinking that the siding with the tank cars will be a corn syrup unloading point to take the place of the one that is in the juice factory.

The space that will be created on the board that is yet to be widened may get a small servicing shed for the short line but still thinking about this.

Any suggestions welcome. Whilst I now get on and widen that last board.

Ian

post-1557-0-84274300-1396198510_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-56572000-1396198529_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-36106100-1396198546_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Whilst my boards arent the same width as the Fremo standard (20" wide) the track centres will allow lining up the boards on one side.

I am about to start ripping a lot of wire out and do away with the control panelthen install turnout decoders (DAC 20's) which will be controlled form a touchscreen. This allows me ot drop the new baord and add a moddifed juice factory at soem ponit so the JMRI track plan can be saved in a number of different configurations.

To allow for the Fremo Lenz system, the turnout decoders will be powered separately and lso through the Digitrax loco net completely separate to the track power (which is how my other DCC layouts are wired).

With the new board and other modified ones the layout will now be 18 feet by 20" wide without the jiuce factory.

The current thinking for industries to be served are as follows:

Plastics factory (pelletized plastic unloading)

Newspaper (as we used to see at Fort Myers)

team track / centre beam loading

Cement unloading

Either corn syrup or LPG unloading (different tank cars!!)

Maybe one other.

This is an addition to sidings where other cars could be dropped off for onward shipping if need be in the freight loops.

I have another Sunday to work on the boards then they will get set up in the garage for a few months after juggling all the other layouts boards around in there.

Ian