Model Rail 164 January 2012 (published December 1 2011)

dibber25

Reviews: Dapol Class 22

Olivia's/Heljan Class 76

Bachmann GWR 'ROD" 2-8-0

Kernow China Clay hopper

Heljan Class 23

Elm Park layout

Tri-ang Collector layout

Workbench:

How to cut wood

Upgrade small locos

Supertest: Snow

How to refine your 20/9

How to make lightweight baseboards

How to buy the rigfht wood

How to use Electra overlays

How to lay track

How to weather track

Q&A

Ackthorpe Layout

Show & Tell

FREE Wallplanner

That's all folks -

Just kidding - yes, it is in there (Backscene - page 153)

That year planner sounds quite useful... looking forward to the sub copy falling through the letterbox next week.

Particularly looking forward to the 'how to cut wood' article, I'm not having a lot of luck using a spoon :P

A spoon would do for some of the timber I've bought lately! There's a nice poster of a Stanier Pacific on the back of the wall planner for those who don't want the wallplanner.

CHRIS LEIGH

I am very worried about Chris Nevard's new photograph accompanying his post above.

Should we detect that he has become an armchair modeller?

Does it mean no more layouts from The Ace Photographer? Surely not!

Looks like an unwashed rivet counter to me. :) (Think I saw him at the Spalding show!)

Can someone please tell me what materials the 'lightweight baseboards' article uses? Thanks.

It's the "ply sandwich" method, rather than solid timber sides (pp62-64) together with 2" polystyrene to form a base, then the trackbed made from ply and fixed to the top surface

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm not having a lot of luck using a spoon :P

I guess it depends on what you use it for - probably the best ever cinematic 'spoon' reference (?):

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

[the Sheriff has said he'll cut out Robin Hood's heart with a spoon]

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?

Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more.

Should we detect that he has become an armchair modeller?

For those of us not as talented as Chris there's a little help here for modelling armchairs.

The planner should be inside the mag, not separate. Give it a shake, if not drop the subs department a line.

That doesn't seem to work with subscription change of address, since mid-September anyway - my sub runs out in December as does my Royal Mail Redirection service so this issue could be the last...

Model Rail. January 2012. Work Bench.

Lay Track. by Peter Marriot.

A good piece by Peter,but, would like to see one day,"cutting/joining "flexi" on the curve.

Have you seen the video that came with a current rival publication ;)

Regards, Gerry.

Picking up on the comment above on track on a new layout that I've just made for Model Rail I use a mixture of Peco Code 75 and Scaleway track so that should be different to the mainly Setrack used on the Coombe Mill layout.

Then in 2012 I am building a another new small layout on which I plan to use point kits as a another change from sectional track.

I try to use better techniques on each prioject and for me its the track that I will be concentrating on next.......

Kind regards,

Peter Marriott

Having looked, I can't find a correction to the Hornby Rolling Road review, as highlighted on this forum.

As a satisfied owner of one of these units, and given that not all MR readers would read this forum or go on-line, I had hoped that the record would be set straight.

• RMweb Premium

Just got my copy - the usual range of interesting features and DIY topics...

However, I'm a bit puzzled by the review of the Heljan 23.

The content of the review itself is very fair and the reviewer ends by saying that "it looks bang on. Well done Heljan". The model then gets a rating of 78%, which is sufficiently low to put many people off, despite all the positives in the text.

Why is this? Well, because the Value for Money score pulls the whole thing down. The cost of the item is relatively high, but maybe the VfM scoring should be kept separate from the actual rating of the machine itself.

As the reviewer states, this model is likely to occupy a niche market. Anybody that needs/wants one is likely to buy it, irrespective of cost. What is important to them are the other rating categories, such as performance, looks etc that are included in the review.

I'm not trying to be too critical as I find MRs reviews to be the best of all the standard modelling mags. Feel free to disagree with my opinion!

Jeff

Interesting angle Jeff, although I've never really taken much notice of the VFM factor in MR's reviews myself. Overall though, I've always thought their reviews to be the best, whether or not I agree on what they actually say about a given model, they are always very well balanced.

The reviews for the Baby Deltic and 22 are spot on I'd say, although there's a slightly misleading error in the 'factfile' section for the 22s.... it says that all of the pilot batch D6300-6305 received the same retro fitted headcode boxes as the D600s, but this is not the case, only D6302 had these fitted at first. D6300 and D6303-6305 had the more flush fitting type added while D6301 kept it's headcode discs until withdrawal. D6302 had it's larger boxes replaced with flush fitting ones later on too.

Serious prospective purchasers would read the review and form their own judgement wouldn't they? OTOH we've been clamouring for ever for some kind of objective, quantifiable scoring system for reviews, I think MR make a fair fist of it.

Archived