model railway club Coventry area

CovDriver

• RMweb Gold

After several months considering of starting a model railway club/society I thought it was about time make the idea public so to speak.

I know there is already a club in Coventry I was a member a few years ago but it seemed to be aimed at the steam era and towards the great western railway nothing wrong with that at all but they started a huge exhibition layout based on Trowbridge and let's just say I was a member almost 10years ago and the wiring is still not finished as i'm lead to believe so I would like to start maybe if the interest is there a small club to get a layout on the exhibition circuit!!

If anybody is interested the drop me a PM and maybe something could happen ?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked into joining a fair few years ago, but seeing that I'm an N gauge modeler we aren't very well catered to :)

A few years later and I was thinking of moving to warwick, but could never get any response from the club there and the move fell through,

been meaning to go back but just haven't gotten round to it.

• RMweb Gold

Looking from the outside I think the main problem with this club is not many members with the hands on approach.Thats probably why Trowbridge is taking so long.In many ways this layout is right up my street as you'd expect but too many members just play trains at meetings without building anything.I'm guilty of this on my home layout. ;) The chairman is always asking me to join and do the scenery etc for them but I can't commit to them thinking my own layout build will suffer.However ,I could be interested in a smaller project like Cov Guard suggested.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Robin

Is the chairman still Kevin Price he's such a nice chap got a lot of time for him he's taught me a few tricks when it comes to scenery work !!

Then there was also another member Steve Jones a fantastic modeller his skills are second to none I bought one of his old layouts Shortby many years ago.

So how do we go about possibly meeting up and possibly starting a small club and maybe one day building an exhibition layout ?

Any ideas ?

Perhaps a meet up at a pub and take it from there and knock a few ideas together !!:drinks:

• 10 months later...

Hi,

There seems to be a little discrepancy about the Coventry Model Railway Club's layout and other things.

I am the current webmaster for our new site - http://coventrymodelrailwayclub.org.uk, emails can be sent to me: webmaster@coventrymodelrailwayclub.org.uk if you have questions about the club, in the next few weeks a complete overhaul of the email system will be completed making contact to the right person in the club easier.

I would like to point out that the club's focus is not just steam and not just GWR. We have 4 layouts permantly set up within the club rooms:

Trowbridge is GWR, 1930's to end of steam, we're doing the landscaping now on this layout.

Anderby Creek is LNER 1930's, fully exhibition ready

Rockwell Junction is LMS/GWR/canal junction station from 1930's to modern image

Gosford Green is modern image diesel

We always welcome potential new members, club nights are 7pm to 10.30pm on Tuesdays and Thursday. Potential new members are welcome to come along without any financial commitment for a while to see if they like the club and it's members.

Although we are based near Coventry city centre (at Unit 3, Canal Basin, Leicester Row, Coventry, CV1 4LH) car parking is free during club nights.

We have monthly 'running nights' where members can have some fun playing trains or testing their new loco's, we also allow testing of loco's at other times depending on any work being undertaken on the particular layout.

Sadly we can only accept over 18's as full members, and 14-18 for junior members (who must be accompanied by a full member). We do allow younger people to come along and visit occasionally though.

That new website again:

http://coventrymodelrailwayclub.org.uk

Cheers,

Anthony

I looked into joining a fair few years ago, but seeing that I'm an N gauge modeler we aren't very well catered to smile.gif

A few years later and I was thinking of moving to warwick, but could never get any response from the club there and the move fell through,

been meaning to go back but just haven't gotten round to it.

There is are now two N gauge layouts at the leamington and warwick site if you want to arrange a visit we meet on thursday nights.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived