Sealing weathering powders

kbriffa

Hi.

I had the opportunity to weather one of my locos - BR Standard 3MT. I started by applying a thin film of Dullcote to kill the glossy finish of the RTR loco.

I then applied mixtures of AIM powders to obtain the look I was looking for. I am pretty happy with the results.

Do I now need to seal the powders in some way? Would hair spray work?

Thanks

Kenneth

You can use hair spray, but try and get the non-scented version or your model will smell a bit girly :lol:

I use "Purity Seal" from Games Workshop to seal my models, it is designed for wargamming models which are frequently handled during games so it gives you a pretty tough surface.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Good idea. If it's good for that application it will be good for the same reason on my loco. Thanks

Kenneth

Guest 40-something

Wouldnt hair spray remain tacky? I dont seal the weathering powders on my stock, finding that they stay on pretty well unless someone with wet or sticky/greasy fingers handle them

• RMweb Gold

Wouldnt hair spray remain tacky? I dont seal the weathering powders on my stock, finding that they stay on pretty well unless someone with wet or sticky/greasy fingers handle them

I have found that they usually dry OK but some give a slight sheen which spoils the complete grunge look on a 1960s steam loco

You can use hair spray, but try and get the non-scented version or your model will smell a bit girly :lol:

I use "Purity Seal" from Games Workshop to seal my models, it is designed for wargamming models which are frequently handled during games so it gives you a pretty tough surface.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Jack

There has been comment elsewhere that Purity seal has fogged plastics films used for windows - have you any comment. Also, how flat is the finish? I am looking for something that will remain very flat.

Thanks

Paul Bartlett

Jack

There has been comment elsewhere that Purity seal has fogged plastics films used for windows - have you any comment. Also, how flat is the finish? I am looking for something that will remain very flat.

Thanks

Paul Bartlett

I use the spray can stuff, I think you can also get it in a pot, but I don't like the idea of brushing it on.

I haven't noticed any windows fogging up whilst using it, though I mostly have freight stock and the only thing I used it upon with any great quantity of "glass" in it was a H0 Roco DMU, my N scale 08 windows haven't clouded up either.

The finish seems to be the same more or less the same as whatever is under it. I tried it on matte weathering and the finish didn't change, it is was still matte. I also used it on my Dapol "Silver Bullet" and the clay streaks stayed matte and the tank stayed glossy, though it wasn't quite as glossy as it was.

It is tough stuff too, I got some overspray on the bath (don't ask!) and it took several months and several bathroom cleaning products before the "limescale" had finally gone. Luckily nobody suspected I had purity sealed the bath! :laugh_mini2:

Kindest Regards,

Jack

I addition to my last post I think it is worth mentioning that I spray indoors. The fogging issues could be down to temp, humidity etc

Make sure that the can is well shaken before use and has been stored (for a while) in the same environment that you intend to use it in. I suspect clouding is down to water vapor mixing with the varnish.

Cheers,

Jack

I addition to my last post I think it is worth mentioning that I spray indoors. The fogging issues could be down to temp, humidity etc

Make sure that the can is well shaken before use and has been stored (for a while) in the same environment that you intend to use it in. I suspect clouding is down to water vapor mixing with the varnish.

Cheers,

Jack

Jack

Thanks for both responses, I'll give it a try. I use Chaos black as my main black, Skull white for undercoating and Roughcoat for when I want that type of finish. All excellent (as are the pot paints)

I use an old microwave oven as my spray booth in a reasonably warm room.

Paul Bartlett

EDit - I asked when I bougth some 'Purity' and Roughcoat has been discontinued which is a great shame.

Jack

Thanks for both responses, I'll give it a try. I use Chaos black as my main black, Skull white for undercoating and Roughcoat for when I want that type of finish. All excellent (as are the pot paints)

Paul Bartlett

I agree, I paint almost all my models with the GW paints, I especially like them for weathering. They are friendly too as you can thin them with water and they don't stink the house out like oil based paints, they also touch dry quickly and can be washed off with a bit of warm water if you make a mistake.

I think before varnishing any model it is important to make sure a model is completely dry, as often, despite seeming dry to the eye and touch, the paint is still not 100% dry; Then you apply varnish on it and you get water from the paint trapped between the surface and the varnish, leading to discolouration. I normally leave the model for several days or place it in the airing cupboard overnight before I varnish them.

Cheers,

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Jack

Paul Bartlett

B----r! I've just taken a dead microwave to the Council re-cycling site!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I had the opportunity to weather one of my locos - BR Standard 3MT. I started by applying a thin film of Dullcote to kill the glossy finish of the RTR loco.

I then applied mixtures of AIM powders to obtain the look I was looking for. I am pretty happy with the results.

Do I now need to seal the powders in some way? Would hair spray work?

Thanks

Kenneth

I would have used the Dullcote AFTER applying the weathering powders. That way you kill two birds etc.

I prefer Microscale Micro Flat for this sort of thing. It thins with water, has almost no odour and drys very quickly.

I like heavy weathering on most of my 1950's period locos and stock and after painting/lining etc (or accepting the proprietary finish as-is) then first use Vallejo acrylics for weathering, mixed appropriately for tone and with added Rowney's Artist's Acrylic Matt varnish (to "bind" better on the plastic/metal model surface) with the whole mix being then thinned with water to the required covering density.

After leving it drying hard for a day, I then use MIG weathering powders (Spanish, I believe and aimed mostly at military modellers) , which I think are an acrylic base because I NEVER overvarnish or seal them and they don't seem to come off afterwards, once left for a day or two in the air. They stay DEAD MATT in my experiance and usage - just what I want.

Incidently, I hve never yet found a dead (I mean completely dead) matt varnish of any type despite innumerable experiments - they all seem to have at least a modicum of sheen and this is often (but by no means always) undesirable on a model.

Anyway, all this works for me!

Chris McCarthy

Incidently, I hve never yet found a dead (I mean completely dead) matt varnish of any type despite innumerable experiments - they all seem to have at least a modicum of sheen and this is often (but by no means always) undesirable on a model.

Testors Dullcote does seem to give a completely flat finish (I cannot see any sheen on it). However I have found out the hard way that this does indeed fog windows slightly.

This is not entirely suprising as matt varnishes achieve the finish by adding a fine powder (often talcum powder) to break up the flat surface and kill the shine. This is not transparent so if applied in sufficient quantities it will start to interfere with the transparcency of what it is applied to.

In the case of the model I was working on, I overpainted the windows with Klear and this went a long way to restoring their transparency. Not perfect but a great improvement. It actually looked quite good as real windows are rarely crystal clear, especially around locos. ;)

For a completely matt finish try Xtracolor matt varnish (code XDTT) available from Hannants.It really needs to be applied by airbrush thinned with either Hannants own thinners (code XDFF) or cellulose thinners. It's used extensively by military/aircraft modelers to obtain a true matt finish.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

I use the spray can stuff, I think you can also get it in a pot, but I don't like the idea of brushing it on.

I haven't noticed any windows fogging up whilst using it, though I mostly have freight stock and the only thing I used it upon with any great quantity of "glass" in it was a H0 Roco DMU, my N scale 08 windows haven't clouded up either.

The finish seems to be the same more or less the same as whatever is under it. I tried it on matte weathering and the finish didn't change, it is was still matte. I also used it on my Dapol "Silver Bullet" and the clay streaks stayed matte and the tank stayed glossy, though it wasn't quite as glossy as it was.

It is tough stuff too, I got some overspray on the bath (don't ask!) and it took several months and several bathroom cleaning products before the "limescale" had finally gone. Luckily nobody suspected I had purity sealed the bath! :laugh_mini2:

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Just to say I finally got around to using Purity Seal. Thanks for the advice, it seems to dry very quickly with no alteration to the finish beneath it - I used it just to seal some transfers down and there is no sign of where it was applied compared to the rest of the body - which had been finished with GW Chaos black.

Paul Bartlett

Just to say I finally got around to using Purity Seal. Thanks for the advice, it seems to dry very quickly with no alteration to the finish beneath it - I used it just to seal some transfers down and there is no sign of where it was applied compared to the rest of the body - which had been finished with GW Chaos black.

Paul Bartlett

That's good to hear; I'm glad I could be of some assistance to you Paul, the number of times your wagon photographs have come in handy for my projects I certainly owe you more than one!

Kindest Regards,

Jack

That's good to hear; I'm glad I could be of some assistance to you Paul, the number of times your wagon photographs have come in handy for my projects I certainly owe you more than one!

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Hi, i've also just given purity seal a try, to seal weathering powders, and it seems really good, the model looks exactly like it did before application, which is something railmatch varnish hasn't always achieved, cheers for the heads-up on this one :no:

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

as a wargames minature painter by profession, particularly fantasy, i wouldn'y use GW purity seal,

...as many as 1 in 6 cans are a duff ones, where you get fogging on the minature, (creamy like finish in the recesses) and more often than i care to remmber, a hazing, or dusting on the figure, that drys like a whitey haze on the figure.

it is rubbish for sealing weathering on card buildings, even with a light spary, all the detail in the brick is lost, with extreme hazing, i have thrown the building i made away. the hazing takeing about 3 hours to appear!

am trying some artists water pastel sealer at the momment on card buildings

for the rolling stock , defintely testors dullcoat, then pick out the "shiney" bits, with a heavily dilluted hardcote.

works well with the vallejo acrilyics, tamiya poweders as well.

a tip with using any spray varnish, is to heat the can in a tub of very warm water for a few minutes, helps it to mix and flow better. and dont spray on a cold day, as the varnish can often be dry by the time it gets to the model

hope this helps

hi,

as a wargames minature painter by profession, particularly fantasy, i wouldn'y use GW purity seal,

...as many as 1 in 6 cans are a duff ones, where you get fogging on the minature, (creamy like finish in the recesses) and more often than i care to remmber, a hazing, or dusting on the figure, that drys like a whitey haze on the figure.

it is rubbish for sealing weathering on card buildings, even with a light spary, all the detail in the brick is lost, with extreme hazing, i have thrown the building i made away. the hazing takeing about 3 hours to appear!

Several years ago there were a few dodgey batches of Purity Seal (around 2005/06 if I remember rightly), which had the clouding issue, there were a couple of product recalls and most of the cans were removed from circulation, you may be able to get a dodgey can from the sort of hobby shop where there are cans still gathering dust from 5+ years ago on the shelf but generally they are hard to come by.

Ever since those dodgey batches when someone applies it incorrectly, in the wrong humidity, temperature, with inadequate shaking, wrong distance from the model etc, they tend to blame the Purity Seal and those who had whole armies go cloudy after using the dodgey batches from a few years ago tend to agree with them.

I have used many cans (must be over 20 by now) over the last few years and never once had clouding issues.

Maybe I am just lucky though :-P

Kindest Regards,

Jack

• RMweb Premium

I am still very much a beginner in the dark art of weathering but have used Carrs, AIM and Tamiya powders on rolling stock, structures and the track itself with some success. Mostly I don't find a need to seal the work but there remains the risk of a stray drop of moisture harming the work form whatever source.

Some plastics seem to take powders better than others with the result that some powder leaves residue on the fingers from some rolling stock. I have used a $2 hairspray on a couple of occasions but the result has been clumping of the powder despite a very fine spray and using a sweeping spray technique. One accidental discovery was that a greasy finger-tip pressed against the plastic of a model in a suitable spot which then has weathering powder applied over it will result in a greasy "oil stain" which can be rather effective.

Currently I have no plans to seal future work.

My own powder weathering applied to a Hornby 08, a Kernow / Dapol 0298 and a Skaledale engine shed; the pannier and oil tanker are professionally air-brush weathered. The shed roads also have black weathering powder brushed along the "four foot".

DSCN3168.jpg

My powder weathering over a Bachmann "factory spray" showing the oily patches achieved as described above.

DSCN2300.jpg

None of my work shown here has been sealed and all has stayed firmly where it was put.

hi jack

yeah, do i remmeber that, every can was a duff ! left me with some serious problems

i was at the time, using the hardcoat spray, as the first layer, then spraying with the purity seal, but all of a sudden they stopped selling the hardcoat, hmmmm, i wonder why? the milking with purity seal wasn't apparent at first, it appeared after several hours, so all the test spraying was a waste of time

i use probably 3/4 cans a month, havent gone near the purity seal for a year now, it was just to irratic.

just my opion and my experince, if it works for you then by all means still use it, £ for £ it is still one of the cheapest sprays out there

a tip with using any spray varnish, is to heat the can in a tub of very warm water for a few minutes, helps it to mix and flow better.

Hi,

I'm also a newbie to weathering and am currently attempting my first project; an old Hornby 9F that my local club had spare and which had been previously weathered (although not too well...). So far, I have re-sprayed and re-numbered it, and I then wanted to apply a matt varnish to seal the paint before starting on the new weathering. I am using Railmatch Matt Varnish (1407) and initially, I was disappointed with the results. However, I have tried this tip to warm the can before using it and the difference is amazing; it applied much more evenly and the finish was much better...

I may try some of the alternatives suggested on this thread but I wanted to say that I had found this very useful - definitely a top tip!

Thanks,

Ben

Archived