Lesser of two evils

Tony Davis

I have a choice, either an 8' layout above a central heating radiator, or a 10 and a 1/2 ' layout half way up a window.

I know neither site is ideal, but it is a case of one of those or nothing.

I imagine putting the board above the radiator would cause the board to warp and or any scenery to dry out and eventually crack, whereas across a window would mean colder environment. I would of course keep blinds behind it, which should negate the worst effects, no?

Thanks

Tony

I think i would go for the window option as its longer. Does the sun come through that window most of the day, A blind would come in very handy.

For the radiator option does it have a thermostat control on it ?, you could always turn it down or turn it off.

Nothing should come in the way of one building ones railway.....

• RMweb Gold

Out of the 2 positions the window would probably be better, if you site it above a radiator with a TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) the lack of air flow would most likely keep shutting the TRV.

Only thing to consider with the window is a suitable blind to cut down on the suns UV rays which will fade any scenery or paintwork on stock, I think you can get some cheapo ones that do the job well and look ok.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

No not quite a "blackout" but a light near see through one or just a light cloth one should do the trick.

I think if there is simply something in the way of the diret sunlight it cuts down the "glare" and is sort of sacrificial, if that makes sense ?

Or paste a couple of page 3's over the window, gets the neighbours talking especially when they find out it's a "hobby" room.

Guest stuartp

I've done both in the past. The current layout sits above a radiator, it's turned down but not off and the foamboard board shows no signs of warping (yet). A previous layout crossed two windows which were a complete pain. With the blinds permanently drawn to keep the sun off and because I couldn't get at them, an astonishing amount of dust, fluff, cobwebs and dead things built up quite quickly. Also I couldn't get at them easily to open them so the room was never properly ventilated. I would do it again but only if the boards across the windows were easily removeable for access.

Because of the way the window is designed opening a blind wouldn't really be an issue, but building it in 3 sections might be a good idea in any case, as the window is quite low (the sill is only 15" from floor level) and the layout would run across the centre of it.

• RMweb Premium

I would go with the radiator option. If you design the layout to be high enough to go over the top and make sure that you don't cover the front of the radiator then it will work well. Putting the layout in a window has a further downside that has not been mentioned yet. It opens the layout to view of anyone walking past who may view your models as easily disposable.

If you are worried about the heat warping the baseboard, you could fit a

heat proof shelf to deflect the heat [or even just stick some baking foil

above the rad on the underside of the layout].

On the other hand, the advantage of a window is maybe not so obvious.

When I was building my mate Ted's layout we took advantage of it.

The support for the board was dropped to below the sill level, approx

12'' below datum and about 6' long. This gave us the chance to use 5,

yes 5!, double track Metcalf viaduct kits in a row, sillouetted by the window.

So you see the viaduct like you would in a real situation,

It is very impressive, and when I get my camera working I will post some pics.

Good luck, Jeff

vis a vis the radiator it was more the stuff on it, eg any landscaping I had done which was worrying me, drying it out and causing it to crack with the expansion and contraction as the radiator warmed up and cooled off. The window option is the one I favour as it gives me more room to build the layout. The issue of people walking past isn't really a worry as it is on the 1st floor and quite a way back from the road, which only people who live in the close tend to go down anyway. (The road is the bit by the trees in the background)

post-11988-0-03855000-1322764266.jpg

If you go over the radiator how about leaving a hole in the baseboard over the radiator, So it can still convect and warm the room, and so the heat is not trapped under the layout?

I have done this in my workshop and it works a treat.

PS Put wire mesh in the opening to stop anything dropping through.

• RMweb Gold

vis a vis the radiator it was more the stuff on it, eg any landscaping I had done which was worrying me, drying it out and causing it to crack with the expansion and contraction as the radiator warmed up and cooled off. The window option is the one I favour as it gives me more room to build the layout. The issue of people walking past isn't really a worry as it is on the 1st floor and quite a way back from the road, which only people who live in the close tend to go down anyway. (The road is the bit by the trees in the background)

Oh Lordy that flat roof is just crying out for some 16mm live steam !

Cats!! They all meet up on that roof, about 5 different ones. OK, 2 of them are mine, but I'm sure they send out invites... The roof is sheltered and gets a fair bit of sun, even though it's North facing, so I can see why they like it. I quite fancy going up there with them sometimes.

Archived