Railway footage in feature films and television...

T

Looking at the shot with coaches in they are quad arts  many times I rode in them and to North Woolwich  ,in the seventies I was involved in pest control and gained a contract to decimate pigeons living the Millenium Milll.The dockers union were against us doing this work but we kept them happy by having a boat in the dock behind in case a bird was not dead and fell in the water.I had to go to a PLA furnace to cremate ten bags of the deceased it nearly started a strike in the docks as the shop steward against us worked there ,but the manager smoothed things over .Made me realise why the docks were failing but had a good day there and a boat as well. 

Looking at the shot with coaches in they are quad arts  many times I rode in them and to North Woolwich  ,in the seventies I was involved in pest control and gained a contract to decimate pigeons living the Millenium Milll.The dockers union were against us doing this work but we kept them happy by having a boat in the dock behind in case a bird was not dead and fell in the water.I had to go to a PLA furnace to cremate ten bags of the deceased it nearly started a strike in the docks as the shop steward against us worked there ,but the manager smoothed things over .Made me realise why the docks were failing but had a good day there and a boat as well. 

The London Dockers were superstitious about their work, their jobs were hard and dangerous.  Those pigeons around the Docks were the souls of old deceased  dockers keeping an eye on the work  to make sure the jobs were being done properly

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:06, Pacific231G said:

No it's a completely different flim, essentially some excellent filming from the 1963 freeze of pw gangs, snowploughs and a variety of trains, from loose coupled steam hauled coal trains to the Blue Pullman, augmented by archive shots from earlier winters. It is cut entirely without dialogue to a dramatic music track produced by Johnny Hawksworth and Daphne Oram (co-founder of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and a pioneer of electronic music)  .There is an entirely proper emphasis on trains succesfully running at speed past lines of stranded trucks and cars on  the roads. Sad to think that a couple of few years after BR staff were heroically keeping the whole network open as vital national arteries  the government decided to close half of its services down.

I've just watched it from youTube and did reconginse a few shots from the much earlier 1955 Snowdrift at Bleath Gill

Both films are excellent and, if you don't want to wait for this evening, the BFI has posted both of them on YouTube 

Snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4pJwcE7JI

Snowdrift at Bleath Gill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugIoMD495E

Have a watch of this Goodyear snow tires advert, apparently from 1962:

I wonder if Geoffrey Jones got some inspiration from it for his 1963 film "Snow" ? 

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:54, Rugd1022 said:

A couple of screen grabs from 'The Ipcress File' (one of my favourite films, ever) shot at Marylebone in 1965...

post-7638-0-30445700-1548258749.jpg

post-7638-0-88081900-1548258798.jpg

You know something, when I first saw the top picture, I thought to myself 'Is 25430 preserved' , so I looked on the VCT carriage database, and sure enough it is. Since the film was made, it was converted to a overhead electrification maintenance vehicle and then based at Romford, and in preservation, has been further converted to provide seating for the Dufftown station café at the Keith & Dufftown Railway, but at least it's still around.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:27, 298 said:

Toddington, I think. It was on in the canteen at work so I didn't hear much of the plot, but did wonder if the Police inspector would take a break from the continual murders to investigate the theft of the brown BR(W) totem..

I wouldn't bet on it, but that's only because the Idiot Inspector in Father Brown is Nothing but a Braindead, Good-For-Nothing Jobsworth who shouldn't even be on the show.

• Like 2

On 09/01/2019 at 19:35, Porcy Mane said:

Grain Silo D of the Millenium Mill. Grade 2 listed & warrants a mention in Pevsner.

P

The Millenium Mills were in the background of the last episode of "Silent Witness" last Monday on BBC1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2019 at 17:08, Coppercap said:

Have a watch of this Goodyear snow tires advert, apparently from 1962:

I wonder if Geoffrey Jones got some inspiration from it for his 1963 film "Snow" ? 

That pattern of tyre is the same as the Xtra Grip that the Army used to fit to the old petrol Land River's. They were terrible! You could also hear an Army Rover coming from miles away... they howled on tarmac. 

That steam train must have been in preservation, surely the US had all gone diesel by 1962?

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone watch the latest episode of Cold Feet last night.  At the end there is a scene set on a station with a nice canopy and footbridge on a double track  non electrified line but no trains.   Can anyone tell me where it was filmed please.

Jamie

On 07/12/2011 at 13:13, keefer said:

'get carter' has been mentioned - good interior shots of mk2a FK and mk1 dining car as well as the deltic cabride!

bill forsyth's 'that sinking feeling' has a scene where characters meet on a disused platform on the edin-QS line and a class 27 push-pull set goes hammering past

ABC's 'all of my heart' video has a 501 going past

The Young Ones episode 'bambi' has them tearing about a station (bristol temple meads?) and leaving on a 125, all accompanied by motorhead doing 'ace of spades'!

Not disused - it is Bishopbriggs station, and in an earlier scene you can see a class 101 DMU at Springburn station.  There is a video on you tube that shows the then and now shots from that film including the above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=188&v=HIK2TRkZrAs

im

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Did anyone watch the latest episode of Cold Feet last night.  At the end there is a scene set on a station with a nice canopy and footbridge on a double track  non electrified line but no trains.   Can anyone tell me where it was filmed please.

Jamie

Just watched it over breakfast.

It will be somewhere near Manchester, possibly East Lancs Rly.

Just Googled. I think it is Ramsbottom.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
More info
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, daveyb said:

That pattern of tyre . is the same as the Xtra Grip that the Army used to fit to the old petrol Land River's. They were terrible! You could also hear an Army Rover coming from miles away... they howled on tarmac. 

That steam train must have been in preservation, surely the US had all gone diesel by 1962?

The steam engine looks to me to be a Canadian type too

Managed to get around to transferring to DVD an episode of Scotland Yard (Talking Pictures TV...as usual) that had a numerous railway scenes. The "White Cliffs Mystery aka The Matrion Case" apparently on the line between Seahaven and Waterloo. I think Seahaven is a made up place as I can't find anywhere named that on any line to Waterloo. The main station featured in the scenes is called Brandon or Brampton but again I think that is a made up name and perhaps someone can identify the station from the pics. Also noted are some carriage sidings which it wouldn't surprise me if it was Clapham Junction.

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_004.jpg

PDVD_006.jpg

PDVD_007.jpg

PDVD_008.jpg

PDVD_012.jpg

PDVD_017.jpg

PDVD_018.jpg

PDVD_031.jpg

PDVD_023.jpg

PDVD_035.jpg

PDVD_039.jpg

Edited by jetmorgan
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, TheQ said:

The landrovers in the military I knew had these..

892688164_13474564930031.jpg.37a42de3ace3466fb5d74ebec45493ec.jpg

Michelin XZL 7.50 R 16s.. now they did howl...

They were fitted to the 110 & 90 fleet from 87 on... I thought they were XCL but radials where the Xtra Grip were cross ply

Edited by daveyb
Radials not radicals

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Coppercap said:

The steam engine looks to me to be a Canadian type too

I think you may be right. A Selkirk or Hudson, may be. But either were out of regular service by 1960

• RMweb Premium
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:36, luckymucklebackit said:

Not disused - it is Bishopbriggs station, and in an earlier scene you can see a class 101 DMU at Springburn station.  There is a video on you tube that shows the then and now shots from that film including the above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=188&v=HIK2TRkZrAs

im

Thanks Jim.

When I posted that, I'd recently seen the station scene - the film was on late one night and I wasn't paying attention but just happened to see the push-pull going past. had it in my mind that the station was disused, to fit with the top secret nature of the conversation!

Since then I'd found a website with locations on it but no idea which it was - however did find a Flickr with then/now pics used in the video you linked.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/collections/72157621930774473/

(I recognise the two usernames from the urban/hidden Glasgow forums)

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

Managed to get around to transferring to DVD an episode of Scotland Yard (Talking Pictures TV...as usual) that had a numerous railway scenes. The "White Cliffs Mystery aka The Matrion Case" apparently on the line between Seahaven and Waterloo. I think Seahaven is a made up place as I can't find anywhere named that on any line to Waterloo. The main station featured in the scenes is called Brandon or Brampton but again I think that is a made up name and perhaps someone can identify the station from the pics. Also noted are some carriage sidings which it wouldn't surprise me if it was Clapham Junction.

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_004.jpg

PDVD_006.jpg

PDVD_007.jpg

PDVD_008.jpg

PDVD_012.jpg

PDVD_017.jpg

PDVD_018.jpg

PDVD_031.jpg

PDVD_023.jpg

PDVD_035.jpg

PDVD_039.jpg

The tunnel and junction is Salisbury Tunnel Junction, the through station with the long straight platforms and concrete footbridge is Grateley, and "Seahaven" is Hastings. Not sure about the carriage sidings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, 4069 said:

The tunnel and junction is Salisbury Tunnel Junction, the through station with the long straight platforms and concrete footbridge is Grateley, and "Seahaven" is Hastings. Not sure about the carriage sidings.

I did wonder if Seahaven might be Hastings considering the sign for express trains to Tunbridge Wells. I'd no idea what the other station was but thansk for the info

Call The Midwife on BBC1 last night (17/02/19, S8, E6) featured a few very shiny wagons on the dockside. One I recall being a GN open. Wondering where they came from, or could they have been cgi'd?

Edited by OhOh
missing word.