Barkham Green GWR OO Layout

vulcanbomber

It's amazing how taking pictures of the layout instantly shows up problems you haven't noticed before.

post-254-0-83513800-1548076259_thumb.jpg

After  I took this picture I realised that the barge board was missing from the end of the Goods shed

One barge board later and i how much better it looks.

post-254-0-64121100-1548076282_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1

Finally got around to paining inside of Railcar and added a passenger

post-254-0-85555500-1548259956_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-97749100-1548259978_thumb.jpg

It does show that I need to use some decent castings for the passengers ( Dart Castings), because of the large windows. Just need to source a Suitable driver.

I've also modified the computer program to turn on the lights when it leaves the storage loop and to turn them off when it returns

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Time to try adding to Barkham Green on the new Forum

IMG_20190206_165701.jpg.a4f999e7ebbf1bc27de12b3b4419ae54.jpg

Sketty Hall has just passed through the station. been having problem with this loco pulling stock through the curve of the viaduct. The whhels would keep slipping and it just wouldn't get the the curve without lots of throttle.

Well I finally solved the problem. it was due to the tie-bar between the loco and tender. The tie bar was moving across the tender as it went around the curve but was getting caught on a slightly raised screw head which held the tender together. So the loco was having to drag the tender around the curve.I have now removed the screw and all is good.

I have now brought the crossing between the up and down line into operation because of getting coal to the gasworks. 

To power the first turnout  I thought I would try one of the new DCC Concepts Digital Ip Cobalt Motor, which seemed good value since you get a point motor and built in decoder for about £20. Anyway after having trouble getting it programmed it is now installed and working properly.

The only thing i don't like about them is the connector for the wiring, I  would have preferred to have soldered rather than some push in connectors, I imagine they might come loose on portable layouts

Now need to buy one more for the other half of the crossing.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Richard. Its' been a while since I last visited Barkham Green, love the new look station throat, its' all coming together nicely. Me, I would stick to improving the old Airfix B set, as much as I love the new Hornby sets the price frightens the hell out of me. I'am improving the Airfix set that I have. I think we all would agree with taking photos and finding all the little faults, but in saying that, best we find them that way and not by rivet counters, LoL.

Keep up the postings',

Tex.

• Like 1

Tex thanks for comments. We thought Tasmania was the best Place in Oz when we visited such a contrast between North and South part.

Yes I'm having second thoughts about replacing the B set, The Hornby one's are very expensive. I would probably want to modify them by fitting lights and I hate the white roofs, which I would want to paint black grey. Not for the faint hearted when they cost so much money.

Just deciding how far to go with the B set. Have only painted the interiors so far. Waiting for some grey black paint for the roof.Can't decide whether to replace the glazing

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interior of the Mill was looking a bit bare so decided to add an interior.

Viaduct_08.jpg.36167fd7c7ebe1ba92b11b544d88cabb.jpg

Complete with flour sacks an an old grinding stone propped against the wall/

In theory the room at the back hold all the machinery, but you can't see inside from the front of the layout

Still have to install the lighting 

• Like 3

Inspired by KNP of Little Muddle fame I have decided to paint my coach roofs.

After taking advice from the great man himself I have experimented with painting a guards van first  with Vallejo black grey.

Still need to paint the chimney add some black smoke weathering

Then having been pleased with the result have put the first coat on the Autocoach

I will post pics once the 2nd coat is done.

IMG_20190312_161557.jpg.76190405e784465fb53a4828047c2ba7.jpg

Edited by vulcanbomber
  • Like 6

1231221060_Bset01.jpg.08072464101794c093e3fce02024942f.jpg

Modified the original B set from Airfix

Bset_02.jpg.dc396a8c06987e6ca3e730f4347deaab.jpg

As well as painting roofs ,closed the gap between the coaches by using the mod by Silver Sidelines 

Bset_03.jpg.a17079934187c7eaef4aeb9a961900b6.jpg

Reference Checkrail comments of Stoke Courtenay fame

"Making and fitting plastikard blanking plates was easy enough, but after filling gaps with plastic putty and rubbing down I managed to obliterate some of the lining.  It took several days to restore this to any satisfactory degree.  But the most frustrating thing was that, try as I might, I just couldn't match the 'cream' colour that Hornby used, in spite of countless experiments with every shade of yellow and cream that Humbrol produce. Grrr!  So I decided that a complete repaint of the cream was necessary.  Needless to say I got some cream on the brown here and there (the door and grab handle detail got in the way of effective masking), and so then the brown needed touching up.  All this handling led to some shiny spots on the roof, which matt varnish won't chase away, so a roof dirt respray is the next job.  Almost wish I'd never bothered!"

I don't think I will be removing window I'm quite happy as they are, also not sure about replacing glazing. However I will be adding passengers at some point and possibly lighting.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With a puff of smoke and a burning smell the motor on my 45xx which I use for the B-set gave out.

So I have temporarily moved the 8750 which was being used to pull the Autocoach to the B set and parked the Autocoach.

Trying to decide what to replace the 45xx with now.  My current thinking is to wait until the new Hornby 61xx is available and look at the reviews, and if they are alright buy that, to go with the B-set. After all that is how they they started life with the old Airfix 61xx

• Friendly/supportive 2

As you see having completed all the main buildings, I'm in the process now of upgrading what already exists. 

The 45xx was quite old and I like to have a flow of locos built to the new standards  being introduce to the layout. Thereby raising the standard of the whole thing