Barkham Green GWR OO Layout

vulcanbomber

Major progress with the Station Shops which I thought I would keep this thread live with, as well as updating more thoroughly the Station Shops thread. Hopefully tomorrow if light is good enough will post  train pics with my new birthday present.

post-254-0-80747600-1462206062.jpg

post-254-0-30116400-1462206096.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It is funny how the new "Collett Coaches" do remind me of the old Hornby Railways models (Now Railroad)...they were not all bad.

post-12119-0-02811700-1464344713_thumb.jpg

It was the Southern Railway modeller that was hard done by...LMS, LNER, GWR all had bespoke coaches....but the SR coaches were the GWR ones with different roofs!

The shops look very much like they were once houses, and the front garden spaces have been converted into shops....as happened at a lot of places... :)

Edited by Sarahagain

The reason for the shops in front of the terrace, was it was the best way to fill the space between the back-scene and the station. A row of terrace houses on their own would have been too narrow and also not as visually interesting.

Just a pity with the collets that they did them with white roofs I feel, too much of a coward to try painting them black, too much money invested to risk spoiling them, my wife would not be best pleased!

Edited by vulcanbomber

Im sorry if this is dealt with elsewhere in your thread but are their any plans for some kind of station canopy coming out from your fine station building. The platform looks a little bare without one? 

Perhaps the old Airfix (now Dapol) one could be suitably butchered?

keep up the good work

Dean

The station building was done about 30 years ago and I have always been meaning to do a canopy!

However it is scheduled as phase 2 of station area regeneration, along with better doors on the station building,but the governments austerity program has slowed down progress

• Like 1

The station building was done about 30 years ago and I have always been meaning to do a canopy!

However it is scheduled as phase 2 of station area regeneration, along with better doors on the station building,but the governments austerity program has slowed down progress

Really like the layout to date.  The shops with the extended fronts are seldom modelled and so a good thing to include.

I shudder at the thought of "regeneration" as I associate the term with its use as a euphemism by our Masters to describe their taking away something with character and replacing it with something pointless and bland! 

I look forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Not done much work on the layout for a while I suppose I lost a bit of motivation.

However had our granddaughters (  2 and 5 ) to stay for a few days and they loved playing with the layout . Which had the effect of re-booting my enthusiasm as well !

However I need to make a few changes as a result

1. Buy a stool so  they can take turns and sit and drive the trains without me holding them up. Having one track automated on one manual worked very well and was a good way of maintaining their interest whilst letting them drive  one train and I could keep a close eye on them!

2. I need to fit some transparent plastics screens around the area behind the settee, to keep little fingers off the delicate parts of the layout scenery. Especially since we now have a 2 month old grandson as well now

I have nearly completed the building of the shops behind the station,just need some painting and the shop interiors fitting out. Also I can now add the backscene.

post-254-0-86947500-1492429268_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-51334500-1492429287_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

With thanks to scale model scenery and GWR at Little Muddle

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120848-little-muddle/

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop/lx093-oo-laser-engrave-signal-box-nameplates-oo4mm176/

I have been able to solve the problem of a Signal Box name for Barkham Green

post-254-0-90247800-1492787274_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-24903900-1492787291_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking good! I solved the problem of little fingers on my layout quite easily.. I build another layout just for them! My 3 year old and 2 year old love to play, my 10 year old nephew can be left for hours (days if we let him)  to play.

About the old collets.. What's wrong with painting the roofs? I take the view, what else are you going to do with them? Let them collect dust? If you are worried, why not mask up the sides. That said, the new ones are so nice, I don't run the old ones anymore!

Thanks for the Nameplate links...

Far less fiddly than the Coopercraft GWR Signal Box Nameplates Kit! ;)

post-12119-0-63027400-1493405808_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-39091000-1493405729_thumb.jpg

Though the spare parts can come in useful...for a station nameplate for example....

post-12119-0-68545900-1493405940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

Biggest problem with the Coopercraft GWR Signal Box Nameplates Kit was painting them! It would have been better if they had used white plastic for the letters, then you could have painted the whole thing black and rubbed off the paint to reveal the letters.

Talking about painting the photo of the signal box does show up the need to do some more work on the brick work of the box

Funny that Coopercraft used black lettering (Possibly becuase the board was moulded in blck, with the letters for "Signal Box" already in place?)....as the Station Name Boards have white lettering...

Is that the Ratio Signal Box Kit?

I have just got hold of a kit....Ffrwd Locks needs a bigger 'box!

I may well do the "Blue Engineeing Brick" effect on the plinth and corners....it would "lift" the model somewhat.

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

post-254-0-24243000-1493738680_thumb.jpg

Received as present  Bachmann 12 ton Ventilated van 37-730C

post-254-0-75257300-1493738691_thumb.jpg

Fitted to Goods Train

post-254-0-97374000-1493738707_thumb.jpg

Now fitted back scene behind station shops. Had to repaint all of them since new paint was a slightly different shade still never mind they needed doing anyway

post-254-0-74012600-1493738726_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-27197800-1493738741_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-06831400-1493738758_thumb.jpg#

Nearly finished exterior, just a couple more bits to paint and redo ghost sign which got damaged. Then will start building the wall

• Like 9

Yes, that is the one....

Based on a blend of Buckfastleigh and another box (Blue Anchor?) to fit the existing Midland Railway Signal Box roof!

Buckfastleigh is a bit longer....

Some pics of the instructions shewing the Brickwork, etc...

post-12119-0-13809800-1493818473_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-59624300-1493818519_thumb.jpg

The Kernow 'box, based on Truro, is bigger, and has a bigger price tag... ;)

BUT it is already made...Ready-to-plant!

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1