Good Afternoon,

In frustration with my lack of progress in O Gauge my thoughts have turned to producing a small layout as a winter project utilising my existing OO Gauge items and materials that can be reclaimed from dormant projects. I should warn members that its unlikely to see a A4 Pacific, Duchess, King or Castle on this layout - its intended to be a small outer suburban terminus. Inspiration for the project has come from the Micro Layout too far thread, and the fantastic layouts on here of St Mary Hoo, Southerburn, Croxley Wiggenhall Road and several other layouts I have seen not of necessarily BR(S) origin but fantastic nevertheless. I apologies if my feeble efforts offend you guys.

The idea is for a 4' x 1' modular layout so that each module can be built and turned into an operational layout in its own right. A trip to Wickes yesterday saw the procurement of materials, approximately twelve feet of 2"x1" timber and a 4'x2' sheet of MDF all for under £15 has resulted in the following:

P1010354.jpg

P1010358.jpg

A conventionally constructed layout that is braced underneath and securely glued & pinned together - these principles supported my last 00 Gauge layout "Ifield West" on the previous RM Web and were surprisingly strong & resilient to the destruction attempts several years after construction. As an aside the spare four foot length of MDF is being stored for the second module when I get around to it in the new year. The resulting board is both light enough for me to move around with ease and strong a quick test of about 20kg of weight down the shed produced very little bowing.

The layout itself despite being of a modular design is also intended to be portable and hopefully if my skills permit be of sufficient quality such that I could exhibit it if I was invited and if I ever finish it.

P1010361.jpg

Apologies for the blurred photo of this one but it shows the extent of the track on this board - I took eight different attempts at this shot and all of them were blurred and this was the best. A simple Island platform arrangement - the station itself is supposed to be below ground level with a retaining wall behind the 2-EPB to street level. I am thinking that the station buildings can be built over the end of the platforms with a footbridge leading down to the platform itself - similar to Wimbledon Park & Southfields station (Pre-refurb) on the District Line. The rear platform can be operated as a single line terminus with the crossover for access being 'off-scene' on the next module board. Whereas the front platform has access to the head-shunt for the off board goods yard/p-way depot with the front-most siding being part of the depot accommodation. The scenic depot on the next board is intended to be a variant on the Timesaver puzzle for some operational interest.

Operationally the line would be served by both Southern Region trains primarily consisting of 2-EPB's and possibly a 2-HAL/HAP when I get around to doing that kit and in between by London Underground trains, the platform is of sufficient length to accept 3 Mark I coaches or a 4-car LU train. Possibly the Acton Shuttle unit depicted here would run the 'midday' LU shuttle with longer LU trains during the rush hour period. Loco hauled stock (aside from freight) would either have to operate in 'Pull-Push' mode or utilise a second locomotive and operate on a shunt release method - perhaps a power issue somewhere has resulted in a temporary odd steam shuttle for a bit of variety.

P1010363.jpg

A bit of a mock-up of how I am thinking the station's platform areas will look. I intend to use Peco platform sections rather then Hornby ones depicted here. All trackwork is Code 100 using mainly setrack and will need 3rd & 4th Rails fitting to the platform areas - I am considering where else the juice rails might go - perhaps the Headshunt would be electrified as well however the Goods/P-way Depot will not be.

Still an excuse to buy a Bachmann MLV when it comes out - possibly an early Morning Parcels & Newspaper turn?

Thank you for your patience (and possible boredom) At the moment there isn't much to show yet but I hope to update this when I get the chance to.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Looks like a nice little layout and a great way to make use of some of the small multiple units coming out.

One tip I have heard for making easy 3rd/4th rail is to get insulating rail joiners and spray them white. Then cut them in half on either side of the insulating "middle bit" to give you 2 conductor rail chairs. Then thread them onto some code 75 rail and glue them into position.

• RMweb Gold

I should warn members that its unlikely to see a A4 Pacific, Duchess, King or Castle on this layout - its intended to be a small outer suburban terminus.

No shame there. The vast majority of trains were not pulled by an express passenger loco, and the smaller classes are therefore a much more plausible form of power. Although the Southern west of Exeter could appear to be an exception, in fact the pacifics were only used on certain specific workings, not every train. A smaller layout also looks even more compromised if the owner has it full of big locos on necessarily-short trains - classic out-of-the-box trainset stuff, really. Even big layouts look more realistic with a healthy dose of smaller power. Plenty of scope with your ideas so far.

Thank you both very much.

Its always reassuring to check back and see someone has commented on my thread.

Yes the Conductor Rail is interesting I have been doing some research this evening and trying to pin down a time period for the layout initially (more on this later) for the juice rail I can see either buying Scalefour Society components or using the Peco components. I am initially leaning towards the use of Peco materials purely because I am already utilising their track system and I think they would have designed their own products to be compatible in usage - also the Peco components are not only cheaper but if I make a mistake it isn't so difficult to replace the mistake with new materials.

Thanks for the heads up on the insulating rail joiners I will certainly look into that.

A solution on another forum I am a member of involved for the centre (negative) rail, turning Code 100 Rail upside down and then fixing it directly to the sleepers on the mid-line of the track by painting the heads of track pins white and glueing the negative rail to them it gives a good impression of the conductor rail pots without going through all the hassle. I suspect however I will attempt the pots using Code 60 & the the supplied items by Peco - I am assuming it would be good form to ballast the track prior to laying down conductor rail however. :D

As for the time period I am operating in this is still up for debate - at the moment the EPB I have sets the earliest time as 1954 and the Acton Shuttle Q23/G Stock unit I have was employed until 1959. However other members of the type continued in service until 1971 so its possible the unit carried on past the real life end of days provided there was still work for it. So merely from this quick extrapolation by changing a few items such as the livery carried by the visiting steam locomotive on a 'trip' working the era that is being operated in can be tied down easily. As the main units operating the passenger services changed very little in the time period. A question I do have is when did the regional images get swept aside in favour of Corporate Signage? As this would tie the station down into a not after 'XYZ' date. The station is supposed to still be in BR hands with LT merely operating a portion of the services into and out of it.

Perhaps a 2-NOL or 2-WIM is in order to 'back date' the layout to an earlier period of time in the future (now thats a paradox in itself) :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening,

Over the winter break I have done some more planning and working out of the plan. Now when I say 'plan' it involved me and my 5 year old cousin mocking up the plan using my old Brio track and playing testing the layout's track plan thoroughly :D

As a result the plan has predictably changed again; the current thinking is to retain the LT terminus but much less (in my opinion) a fictitious location; with a track plan based off of Chesham in steam days the idea I am currently going with is an extension of the South Acton Branch of the District Line as part of the original plan to form an Acton Loop Line - however as usual the money for construction ran out the the District Railway built a terminus somewhere near Acton High Street with the intention of continuing on at a later date. The line was electrified and settled down with an extension of the Acton Shuttle Service from Hounslow providing a regular (plus much better patronised service), the branch is single track but with provision for doubling made in the infrastructure and connects to the North London line via a triangle junction. This part of London seems rife with such triangles so this is an additional fictitious one. The triangle would also allow other services from the Southern Railway/Region, and the LMS/London Midland Region or possibly from the Western Region to serve the station infrequently. The station itself is of simple design, a main platform with a run around loop - off of the loop are two sidings one of the sidings forming a headshunt on the formation of the potential second line (if it were laid), the station also has a bay platform capable of sending & receiving services. The main platform has been worked out can accept a 6-Car LT service or alternatively a 4-Car Multiple unit train, or again alternatively a train consisting of up to three 63' Mark I coaches and a good sized locomotive currently tested with a Standard Class 2MT, but can accept up to a 4MT or a Metropolitan Bo-Bo.

The layout length is currently 8' by 1' formed into two equal sized boards of the construction shown in my first post above. To secure the boards together the current thinking is to use metal locating dowels and on the outside of the frames toggle catches to maintain the height & location of the boards in relation to one another, under the boards I am currently marking out where track feeds will need to be and I am sourcing the wire etc for power supplies. All points will be manually operated and track work is all code 100, with Peco Streamline points forming the run-around loop and a single Hornby Y point allowing access to the bay platform whereas the track itself is out of the box Hornby Set-track selected as I have enough of it to hand without further investment. The tightest curve I have is a single third radius with the majority of the curves being 11.5 degrees or greater (R628).

For services I am envisaging mainly LT shuttle services formed of the Shuttle Unit, or generic District Line stock of the time such as 6-car CO/CP/R or 4-Car F Stock. With early morning & late evening services from Paddington being steam hauled by ex GW Tank Locomotives bringing perhaps a B Set and a Parcels van etc. During the day LT Stock interspersed by the odd SR service either electrically hauled or a steam pull & push or conventionally hauled service. Possibly a North London Class 501 set or Suburban Stock. The idea being to promote interest through a use of the odd 'unusual' service in the timetable, for example the detaching of a parcels van for the bay platform or a 'through' train from a region the only region I cannot see being represented is the LNER/Eastern Region aside from a 'special', freight services would be limited - the station will be used for running around LT P-Way trains off of the mainline, and is also served daily by a pick-up goods from Feltham Yard, and Newspaper & Parcels services from Paddington.

Sorry for the long post but I had to jott down my ideas and I thought they might be of interest - I intend to take a photo of the layout as it progresses, there isn't much really to see (unless you like looking at cork tiles & roughly laid track) :D but I intend to provide a track plan in the next few days and I need to continue with the electrical side of the layout and stop relying on point blade connections etc to transmit power - which is fine for testing but not long-term.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Sounds like you have the same tastes as me, Gary. I'll be watching your developments with great interest.

Third and fourth rails raise all sorts of dilemmas. Technically they should be slightly higher than the running rails but, for purely practical purposes, I intend to mount mine so all rails are level, simply to allow for track cleaning. I am using Peco chairs and code 60 rail but have also got hold of some ScaleFour end ramps through my good friend, DougN (of this parish!) who is a member.

I can see from that Acton shuttle that you are already aquainted with Radley Models! I have bought quite a few items from him as well as some DC Kits and Little Bus Company items. I currently have CO/CP, Q23/27/31/38, F, A60 and C69 stock (the latter two types still under construction or worse, unmade!) and tube stock (1938/59 EFE stock).

Keep us updated, Gary. I hope it goes well for you.

Good Morning SRMan,

Thank you for your kind words, I've been watching your layout with interest as well I wish I had the space for that sort of set-up. Yes the Acton Shuttle is cosmetically more or less complete - I have to go over the underframe again with a bit more black paint but from normal viewing distance aside from the lack of transfers she is finished. I have been turning my attention to the interior the floor has been painted to represent the Maple wood and I am going to shrink down a moquette sample print it out and glue that on the seats - because I intend to DCC the unit and fit interior and directional lighting to it - eventually. It is becoming apparent however my desktop PC requires replacement after six years... but thats off topic somewhat.

Yes for the conductor rails I was thinking of using the Peco Chairs & Code 60 as well - can you recommend them? I have been looking around, on DD's Forum - which I believe you are a member of; Metroland has a pretty good thread called '4-rail without the tears' which I have a feeling I am going to be referring to quite a bit during the course of the construction. :D

I want to do another Radley Models kit the question is which one - I am considering a CO/CP set of Driving Motors to pair together as a 'train' the only problem with that is the cost to assemble two kits to form a train - which is also why I am considering a Double Ended F Stock Motor and then later buying a single ended motor then trailers etc. But I also fancy a go at a MET Bo-Bo too many decisions. Where did you get the Q27/31's? from? Obviously Q Stock is synonymous with the District so is on my list to construct. I am considering an A Stock as well - but strangely enough I fancy one it LT Red rather then Aluminium or Corporate Livery - takes all sorts I suppose. :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Gary, I haven't laid the code 60 rail yet so can't comment, except to say that on my earlier layout I had third rail using the Peco chairs and code 75 rail. I had to countersink the chairs to get the rails level.

I thought in exactly the same way as you for my F stock train, starting with a double-ended driving motor - the only one I have completed - and adding further coaches as and when I could afford them. I now have a single-ended driving motor partly completed and two trailer cars still in kit form (all bought through eBay but with a spare resin body bought from Radley Models to speed up the process a little).

As for A stock in red, what is wrong with that? You can paint them whatever colour you like - in this case it is a 'might have been' but it's your layout and your stock so you can paint it any colour you like. I built some white metal 1959 tube stock for a fellow BRMA member who decided he wanted them in train red (not so ridiculous as one real set was painted in a heritage train red and cream livery). I was rather glad because I'm still not confident of getting the right effect for the aluminium silver finish. One other member here had some A stock painted in a pale grey and it actually looked more correct than the silver metallic I have used on two of the A stock body shells to date.

The Q stock mostly came via DC kits although I believe Tony Asquith of Little Bus Company had some input into those kits as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your kinds words,

An update now is that I have three of these boards constructed two intending to be for the station area and a third for the fiddleyard & control panel. I have had a job over the chirstmas & January period and this has kept me busy, I have only done planning work & mock-ups for aspects of the station. This has proved useful as it has let me refine the operational aspects of the station as i've gone on.

• Peco Track Throughout

In the past I have used primarily Hornby track as I've had it to hand - however now I have been experimenting with Peco Streamline points (Code 100) and I have found them to be far superior - why did I not start using them before! I am keeping to the insulfrog variety and using flexitrack throughout rather then fixed sections.

• Operational Interest

Now there comes a time in a modellers life when the bucolic BLT just doesn't really cut it anymore - I am at the stage where I want something more exciting operationally and I want to model the hustle & bustle of an urban station - because unlike a branch line it can be as busy (or quiet) as you feel like. This is where time & again I keep coming back to the Minories plan - each time I look at it I'm thinking about train movements, the station pilot removing a van from an incoming train, shunt release locomotives. I also wanted the ability to run around trains and have included this as well.

A slight down side is the lack of freight traffic - however I am trying to appease myself there too with a modified plan - but not too modified.

• Construction Technique

Form & Function are intertwined whilst constructing the boards I have been considering things like "where can I store it?", "How can I protect the scenery?", "Oh why does this point straddle the board join!" :D to this end I decided to adopt the solution of the original. Namely to have the boards folding as per the original Minories Plan (Image not mine) The only difference is that on my plan the hinged sections are outside the baseboard edge rather then taking up valuable surface area.

So keeping a lot more key points in mind I have revised my plan (again) to be much more Minories-like

8x1TestMinoriesAdvance2.jpg

I have taken some inspiration from Birmingham Moor Street layout from the Scalefour Society West Midlands Area Group which was built for the 2007 DEMU Challenge and is in a similar space of 7'x1' - I have a slightly longer length available to me. The idea I am pursuing currently is to focus more on the BR(S) side of things and perhaps the odd LT interloper Met Bo-Bo Sarah Siddons was converted to run on 3rd Rail afterall maybe a railtour or the odd LT Pannier arriving for some obscure reason :D

On the plan the bottom represents the 'front' or the side I will be operating it from with the run-around loop nearest me this is here for operational interest - a problem I found was that if I was taking a van off of a train dependant on its location it would cause a headache having to run it off scene to run around and propel it back in and vice-versa for preparing a train. Also I found that any manoeuvres like that would block two platforms at a time leaving only the third available for usage at some stages all three platforms would be occupied, Mainline Loco in 1, coaches shunted to 2, and pilot & vans in 3 - admittedly that is more then enough for just myself however I just wanted some extra 'lee-way'. Services are planned to be a mix of multiple units such as the EPB, CEP & Hampshire Units with some steam & diesel running as well a nice entertaining mish-mash for myself. The platforms are approximately four and a half feet long which is long enough for a 4-car unit or a 3-coach train and large loco which is very similar in specification to my original plans for a Minories.

With the pilot locomotive in the spur at the back (top) of the board this loco will effectively be the most worked one as most of the trains will be shunt-released from one platform to another with the 'mainline' engine heading off scene for servicing if required, Multiple Units obviously don't have this issue however I am intending to run 4-EPB's during the modelled 'peak hour' and joining & dividing operations within the platform and the odd 4-CEP heading off to the coast as well. Moving down I am assuming the platforms are numbered from 1 at the top to 3 at the bottom, Platform 3 is equipped with the run around loop which as I have found out the headshunt is just long enough to take a West Country Class Pacific meaning that my Tangmere and Torrington are safe from sale. This platform is considered to be just like the others and is not an arrivals platform specifically - infact a large loco and 3-coach train would foul the run-around loop points so would still need the coaches moved to allow the engine to access the run-around loop. The idea for here is very similar to the Kenny-Belle some infrequent suburban service that requires a locomotive to run around - also the loop would be used to shunt any stock into the siding from the bottom right of the loop - which I was considering to be a parcels platform but am not sure now (input much welcomed on this subject) as the platform would be facing the wrong way in relation to the station itself, the siding on the bottom left from the loop is also likewise un-specified in its usage it might be a good location for the parcels platform however the width of the board would prevent modelling the 'platform' itself.

If you interested or looking for inspiration (or to give me advice) I must link here the Birmingham Moor Street (P4) page from the Scalefour Website it has some beautiful images - its worth noting that the layout has been extended widthways the original when I saw it didn't have anything behind the platforms - nevertheless its a fantastic model. I recommend you look just for the atmosphere in the pictures themselves. Also if any member here has been a part of the layout's construction or operating team - I apologise if my own efforts fall short, I mean no insult to your gorgeous layout. :D

Many Thanks,

~ Gary

Good Afternoon,

Today is very special as it marks the relative completion of the base boards for the layout in their entirety. The design is very ordinary being based heavily on plans from CJF & from the Layouts for Limited spaces book that I have. One thing I have found however is that although the plan for AnyRail fits the space available doesn't mean that it will fit the physical space things I never took into account was the loading gauge of the stock - especially in the case of the 'throw' over point-work so I am going to have a faff around and most likely adopt a much more conventional Minories Layout.

Until then however I have a few shots of where I stand at the moment,

P1010432.jpg

P1010434.jpg

P1010436.jpg

Cheers,

~ Gary

• RMweb Gold

I admire your carpentry skills. Very proffessional. My own handiwork looks more like an accident in a sawmill
:(

I agree... it all looks pretty solid and square. I tried to build a fold over board once... when I folded it over I was embarrassed how far out I was with the cutting and measuring... the phrase grotesquely inaccurate didn't quite cover it.

Thank you for your kind comments - however I cannot take much of the credit for the boards. The design is pretty much copied from a book; and the majority of the woodwork was undertaken by my Grandfather who was at a loose end and relished the challenge of building something. So my thanks go out to him for his assistance with the project so far, all I have done is been attentive with pencils, protractors, steel rules etc - my forte is design not construction. He isn't a member of this parish and sadly disinterested in trains... (He finds diesels interesting - must be the engines, he surprised me the other day by telling me a Class 37 was Diesel Electric) mind you he has taken a fancy to my Bullied Pacific Torrington - so perhaps there is hope for him yet. :D

as a rough update what is happening is I am going to adopt the generic Minories plan with two additions - firstly by fitting a set of points between the platforms at the 'town' end of the station this is as I've said before for the pilot to run stock around & to release locomotives from their trains at slack times. Secondly is the front-most platform will have a kick-back siding like on the plan I did above - I haven't as of yet figured out what it will be for however it will be used for operational interest. The tracks themselves will be pulled closer to the front of the board this is (hopefully) for me to model some station buildings in half-relief as part of the back drop of the station - the approaches will be in a cutting with a high retaining wall.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Secondly is the front-most platform will have a kick-back siding like on the plan I did above - I haven't as of yet figured out what it will be for however it will be used for operational interest.

There are 2 ideas that spring to mind.

The first is a loco servicing point. Not a fully fledged shed but somewhere for engines to be topped up with coal/water/diesel, have their ashpans raked out and possibly turned (if you have tender engines and space for a turntable). I am thinking of a smaller version of places like Ranelagh Bridge. Most modellers end up with more locos than other types of stock so somewhere to store an extra couple on display would be a nice addition.

The second option is some kind of industry. Minories is an urban/suburban style of layout so mineral or bulk traffic would not seem appropriate but there were several flows of traffic into big cities. Milk, fish and parcels all needed to be delivered into the heart of the cities. Marylebone is a perfect example as it had a separate platform for milk, fish and parcels complete with an IMS milk bottling plant above. This will give you the option to add milk tankers, GUVs, miscellaneous NPCCS and blue spot fish vans to you fleet.

Going back to what I said in post #6 about third and fourth rail and compromises, I have laid a couple of experimental stretches with one length each on two tracks (details and photos in my layout thread). One stretch is currently (oh dear, an accidental pun! ;) ) laid with no countersinking at all and the otehr stretch has been partially countersunk into the sleepers. Even the latter is not flush with the running rails but I thought it looks OK and doesn't interfere too much with track cleaning or running of trains ... wrong on that last point, as it turns out!!

In revamping the platform with plasticard I needed to recheck all the clearances, using a Heljan Cargowaggon with unmodified steps (I usually narrow the steps by 1mm), a Lima mark 3 coach (long overhangs and centre throw), a Bachmann TurboStar (very wide projecting steps and long overhangs and centre throws) and a Bachmann Networker Turbo (widest stock on the layout with long overhangs and centre throws). Those last two (and probably any class 158/9 Sprinters) have a projection on each bogie's baseplates to clear a gear wheel, even on the unpowered bogies: those projections "beached" themselves on the centre rail of the countersunk installation, and nearly tipped the trains off the tracks on the unmodified rails!

So, I definitely have to go for a flush mounting of the fourth rail from here on in.

Past experience with third rail using code 75 rail suggests that only a few items of stock need modification to clear that even standing well proud of the running rail surface level. Lima/Hornby class 73s are a case in point as the out of gauge moulded sandpipes lifted the bogies off the running rails. I simply cut them off flush with the lower edges of the bogie frames. If I ever get around to it (a round tuit??) I'll make some replacements out of wire but make sure they are in line with the wheel treads, not the third rail ... that is quite a discrepancy!! :lol:

I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread a little, Gary, but all of this may be of use to you and anyone else considering a third/fourth rail layout.

Good Evening all!

Today has been (slightly) productive :D

I did start track laying only to find that I was short of a point so a quick nip into Barnstaple saw a left-hand point obtained for the layout - now I was going to get two and utilise one for the kickback siding however the budget wouldn't allow it so the additional siding is a non-starter - what I might do is lay some track as a disconnected siding remnant disappearing under some modern-esq porta-cabins or such like possibly a base of operations for an impending resignalling project to do away with the station signal box...?

I was considering a fueling point as well Karhedron - for inspiration I was flicking through the London Steam book by Michael Welch last night and it had some interesting views of termini which has fired the imagination, for example at Marylebone there was a water column at the concourse end of the platforms the photo has a Black 5 standing next to it so that might be an feature of arrivals. Light Engine movements will see larger locomotives head off to the nearby MPD for full-servicing & turning and also arriving backing down on their train prior to departure (echoes of Kings Cross) all in all it was an absorbing look into the past and as I've said fired the old imagination which is fantastic.

One question I have to ask is - how in the heck do you lay flexi-track and get it to keep its shape? I've seen umpteen ways of doing it online ranging from the famillar pinning down to utilising no-more nails as a base. Up until now I've only used Set-track so this is a learning curve for me. (Pardon the pun) :D I am looking at using double sided tape however I do have concerns about its ability to hold the track in the right alignment on its own both for laying and in the long-term. Also I am considering dispensing with the cork layer in the past I haven't really seen or heard the benefits of it - again advice or warnings greatly appriciated.

The Current State of Play:

P1010438.jpg

P1010439.jpg

P1010440.jpg

The stock has been used to test conductivity and for clearances on the tunnel portal and block of wood at the frontmost platform and loco siding. I don't intend on using a West Country as station pilot as a general rule. The last hurdle is the link from the station throat to Platforms one & two which needs to be done correctly to ensure that there is enough space all round for the platforms & spacing of the lines. In the first photo the track to the platform is just 'there' and is fixed by a pin loosely put in at one end to hold it - once I have figured out how to keep the alignment correct the track will be bent again to the correct alignment.

SRman - have no fear I am very interested in what you have to say. I have decided to just do the 3rd Rail and keep it as a 'mainline' rather then LT layout I've got a pack of conductor rail pots & rail from Peco and once the track is sorted I intend on getting stuck in somehow. Yes I don't have many diesels but I have heard that 3rd Rail interferes with the clearance on the bogies - I guess this is trial and error and simply limited to whichever model it afflicts. Very interesting stuff.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Guest oldlugger

Hello Gary,

A very promising layout in the making here! It would be a shame if you didn't have some LT as well as SR track on it. I've always liked the idea of mixing these two systems in an inner urban area like this. The problem with OO gauge track and conductor rail is the underscale sleeper length; the relative distance in OO between the third rail and the running rail is too narrow hence the problems with bogie side frames mentioned above. As SRman suggests one solution would be to lower the height of the third rail. In these circumstances I would be inclined to remove the round plastic base of the Peco insulators with a sharp craft knife and make up a separate thinner plastic card rectangular base, which is prototypical, to slot on to the round spigot.

Cheers

Simon

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the comment - I agree it would be a shame to loose the 4th Rail. I am still considering my options and have a long way to go before it would be crunch time so it might make an appearance. I am simply going to use the Peco components for the 3rd Rail I already have a set of rail & pots in and a diorama that is crying out for some attention so I might have a go on there and try & find the best option for my needs before commencing large scale electrification on the main layout. Thank you both for your suggestions I will try both of them out on the diorama.

Today has seen the majority of the track completed. I have used double sided carpet tape to secure the track initially - I am thinking of pinning the track down as well just to be cautious.

P1010445.jpg

First was to sketch out the track plan - what I did was follow the outside of the sleepers of the formation and then cut the tape - I also marked out the location of the tiebar for the point as I don't want to fix that in a single location. Below is a few minutes work the tape is about two inches wide and I was cutting roughly inch strips off of it and that has provided the length.

P1010446.jpg

P1010448.jpg

This is the left-hand board and shows the track being laid in sections to make things easier.

P1010449.jpg

And this is where we have finished today - apologies for the blur this was the best picture I could get. The track is all down on this board - the camera does make the curvature into the rear platform look tight - however it is no tighter then the points used on the layout I think its just the lens distorting the image somewhat. The Hornby electric hooks ups are for testing as obviously the layout has no underboard wiring. The Locomotive on the far board is testing the points using inter-board jump leads again from Hornby. It does make me want to get the stock out and have a play but I will have to resist for the moment :D

I still have the front platform road to stick down & the rear most platform spur to the buffers from the cross over points certainly coming along. Perhaps its time to think of a name for the layout to christen it plus at some point I need to find a representation of BR (S) Green for the frame of the layout.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Thank you for the kind words Simon.

This project is a bit of trial & error so far but has been very useful in the experience of working with flexi track, construction of a proper frame & case for the layout. It has already taught me some lessons - the most recent one is although my idea in following some N Gauge track laying principles was a good one it hasn't stood the test of time already. The trackwork I have stuck down with double-sided tape is already showing evidence of coming unstuck - first around one point then somewhere else and so on & so forth.

I am not annoyed by this - quite the contray. I wasn't sure the technique could be applied to 00 Gauge and now I know in my case at least it is a dead end. Time to move on. The next train of thought is far more traditional in its appearance, the track will be lifted and the surface of the board covered with cork tiles and the track relayed on the top. Current thinking is along my original plans to use Copydex to glue the tiles down to the MDF surface and then latterly to use copydex again to glue the track to the cork tiles - possibly with the odd pin in locations to ensure alignment. In my previous experience in track laying I used PVA Glue which set rock hard and simply transmitted the sound of the trains to the board that way. Looking online it has been said that copydex performs the same 'sticky' job but dries with a latex finish and this prevents the sound transmission.

When I get around to this I am also going to re-arrange the curvature into the middle & rear platforms to ease the deceptively tight-looking (but isn't) S bend into the rear platform somewhat. Thoughts are turning to the control system - I have used DCC in the past in experimentation and would like to utilise the control equipment I bought; however I also would like to use conventional DC control as well so thoughts are to wire it up using conventional DC principles and simply to have all the switches 'open' when operating in DCC mode. The layout has insulfrog points which is fine the main question mark I have is about things like isolating sections at the platform ends to hold an incoming locomotive whilst the pilot removes the stock. How to implement them - where to position them, how to wire them etc.

I must apologise for boring people with the trials and tribbulations of the layout but I am indeed inspired and motivated by others work on here. I really need to get myself into gear and join the local modelling club. :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Good Evening All,

With the false start & set back in my previous post I decided to take a much more 'traditional' stance on the construction of the layout. Armed with some Cork, Copydex and the remnants of the double-sided carpet tape I set to work last night on fixing the cork. My god did it stink! I had to leave the window open ajar last night with the door shut to try and dispel the smell. The layout currently lives in our second spare bedroom - and there is a requirement that if we have a large number of people to stay that it can be taken down and stored for 'the duration' which is fine. I wouldn't have wanted to stay in that room last night however as despite the fishy odour with the window being left open overnight I managed to spy ice on the inside of the frame this morning - potential domestic issue that was quickly removed with the quick application of the central heading and kitchen towels. :D

This afternoon I relaid the track and paid much more attention to it this time then before smoothing out kinks & realigning the trackwork into the rearmost platform. I must say I am absolutely thrilled with the layout and its progression now. The next jobs will involve the electrics as currently i am utilising Hornby components - including jumpers across the electrically dead board connection after that it is scenery. I am debating the use of a plate girder bridge to obscure the off stage exit. And a signal box of some description in the foreground - An idea that is being banded about is an overall roof for the station similar to the design at Victoria (Brighton Side) and some research is going into that - however that would be a very long-term project.

I will leave you with a couple of shots from electrical testing this evening enjoy!

P1010455.jpg

P1010452.jpg

P1010459.jpg

Cheers,

~ Gary

Nice formation... I like the way the track smoothly curves through the length of the station throat, it's most pleasing to the eye ;)

Yes, classic signature of Minories. It simultaneously halves the reverse curves that models go through and introduces a sinuous shape that is very typical of british railways. Probably CJF's most built track plan and with good reason.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, classic signature of Minories. It simultaneously halves the reverse curves that models go through and introduces a sinuous shape that is very typical of british railways. Probably CJF's most built track plan and with good reason.

I agree... I really enjoyed the DEMU celebration a few years back ... but my praise was more about the execution rather than invention... very subtle and convincing :clapping:

Archived