Ruby Road. Somewhere in the Southwest.

ess1uk

Salisbury was reported to have a signal box, but, apparently, not the one in the photo which long since closed and had its windows bricked in, hence the box over the steps.  

Salisbury main through lines, apparently controlled from Basingstoke, but the local box takes care of all those DMU shed lines and the rest of the Shunting Yard, plus a few sidings to Grately in the East, also down to [i think they said] Gillingham and Warminster the other way. 

trust me, you have taken 2 pictures of the door to the signalling room at Salisbury.

Red door with the word Salisbury on it, orange handrails.

east end of the station

how much longer it will remain as a signalling island remains to be seen, it is as you say now fringed on most sides by Basinstoke ASC

• Like 1

Sssshhh  .........   got more int  .....

trust me, you have taken 2 pictures of the door to the signalling room at Salisbury.

Red door with the word Salisbury on it, orange handrails.

east end of the station

how much longer it will remain as a signalling island remains to be seen, it is as you say now fringed on most sides by Basinstoke ASC

......   You are absolutely right about the Control Room on the Salisbury platform  ...   confusing, as it isn't labelled as such.  I suppose using an old office like that makes sense, but it is tempting to call it a new Box Room  ...   :jester:   From memory it is signed as either Staff Room, or Maybe Staff Only.  I may be able to infiltrate into there for a covert look-see - but nothing firm yet  ....    :secret:

As you say, despite the intention for Basingstoke to control all through to Exmouth Junction, Salisbury doesn't just do it's Yard, but also down nearly as far as Gillingham and up to Andover, on the Bath line to Upton Flats[?] just before Warminster. It seems the intention for that to go to Basingstoke is delayed beyond where the original deadline was set. [Possibly some time in 2016   ......]

Sssshhhh   ......    more from my agent later  .....

General look of a bridge on Castle Road just out of the Station to the East.

22048070836_f7cc9ae6ea_z.jpgDSC00886 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

and the view from the other side  

21887516809_4f1d9419fb_z.jpgDSC00899 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Ooooops!  .......    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:   ......   those don't look the same  .......

There are in fact 2 bridges  ...  not sure which was first.

Mind the Gap

22048217016_6e0aa360bb_z.jpgDSC00897 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

The Pedestrian tunnel, to the West side, is constructed like this

21887343989_329a60bb86_z.jpgDSC00889 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

• Like 3

After a bit of shopping, the view of the railway from under Churchill Way West - 100 Yds closer to the station than the double bridge

21900433599_558f874baa.jpgDSC00920 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

This one has a surprise too.  Not only does it consist of 2 bridges like the last one [2?]

What looks like the older one is South of the other

21900427459_01c397c514.jpgDSC00927 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

When you get closer there is another surprise - over that fence

22061169056_6a73aa5b78.jpgDSC00924 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

There is a 3rd arch too - and probably a 4th over the river which runs next to the dual carriageway here

22097354551_ae7d2f4e66.jpgDSC00925 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

This is what the south aspect looks like, with the 3rd arch behind the fence and bushes to the right of the picture

21899447248_d7c86d1346.jpgDSC00930 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

• Like 3

I've been looking for inspiration online and in books.

Looking for pictures around Eastleigh, salisbury and Westbury in 1986 to 1988 period.

Just wish I knew where my photo albums had gone.

Not found them yet?

John Dedman has great photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Salisbury ASC isn't an old office! It's the ex toilets ,(although it did a stint as the parcel office too so I'm told). We even have the old tiles on the wall to prove it although hidden by lockers now.

The building on the West end of the island platform never was a Signalbox despite what the books say, it was the stove house for the pans used pre steam heat. Later a store room.

Salisbury West Box was off the end of plat 4 between the main and where the tamper siding is now. Salisbury East was at the end of platform 6.

We control Dunbridge to Heytesbury (just short of Warminster) and Grateley down to the home signal for Gillingham. The box also controls the down sidings at both ends and what remains of the Up yard. The depot is controlled by a shunter and accessed from the old platform 1, now the Reception siding. The depot takes over at the bus stop just off the end of the platform.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Pics of the panel here thanks to Danny Scroggins site http://photos.signallingnotices.org.uk/photo_index.php?pc=355

Bit out of date as we now have a horrible red door and two of the crossings on the Dean Line are in the process of converting to Obstacle Detection.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

I have just had time to have a good look at these pictures.  Fascinating stuff, thank you for finding them an posting the link.

Pics of the panel here thanks to Danny Scroggins site http://photos.signallingnotices.org.uk/photo_index.php?pc=355

Bit out of date as we now have a horrible red door and two of the crossings on the Dean Line are in the process of converting to Obstacle Detection.

The single line between Laverstock South and North was news as well.  I might be able to find time to walk the paths that approach it, but it looks as though it runs on top of an embankment, so the opportunity to view might not be too good.

• Like 2

recently bought a Hornby class 47 body.
It's ETH fitted 47487 in original Intercity livery.
this will enable me to have another passenger loco.
now just need to find loads of pictures of the prototype and work out what i need to do and make up a shopping list.
post-11924-0-52379000-1445177267_thumb.jpg
Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I am aware that the South-West is a tad behind the rest of the country, I had a sharp reminder last weekend, in Eastleigh  ........

...............   this poor lady had missed her connection   ............

23204701205_8e954d4c46_c.jpgEastleigh by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

in 1893 and was waiting for the next train still  .....   :jester:  :jester:

NB.  The truth is more mundane, but she has only recently been put there by the local Council - apparently, according to a Southampton secret agent.....  shhh!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been 4 years since I started this thread and track has been laid and lifted and no real progress made on a permanent layout.

Plenty of wagons have made their way here and have been weathered but even this has slowed.

Thanks to all who have looked in and offered help and advice, I hope to have something to report soon.

Have a good 2016.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I understand your frustration, for the past three years I have been working away from home as so progress is very slow. That said, when something does happen, it does make it feel worthwhile. As and when is fine with me!

Mike

• Like 1

Happy New Year mate. Look forward to seeing something soon. Unfortunately working on the big railway doesn't always help getting time to play with little railways. I know that well. 

All the best 

Marcus

I understand your frustration, for the past three years I have been working away from home as so progress is very slow. That said, when something does happen, it does make it feel worthwhile. As and when is fine with me!

Mike

Don't worry, keep going !

Happy 2016

Hope you make progress soon and enjoy the hobby

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...