A Rarely Photographed NPCS Vehicle

Another one here, Mr Christie has some lovely shots:

http://www.flickr.co...157626818480878

I think that's one of the LMS 42 footers like the Lima one, but with the higher roof?

I've heard these described as 'Aeroplane Vans'; I wonder if they were ever used as such? The other vehicle looks like a Hawkesworth BG.

Regarding the Bullion Van (an odd vehicle, with doors only on one side IIRC); I had heard that the van was unloaded and loaded at a siding with the tunnel south of Snow Hill- is this correct?

• RMweb Gold

I've heard these described as 'Aeroplane Vans'; I wonder if they were ever used as such? The other vehicle looks like a Hawkesworth BG.

Regarding the Bullion Van (an odd vehicle, with doors only on one side IIRC); I had heard that the van was unloaded and loaded at a siding with the tunnel south of Snow Hill- is this correct?

Yes, that's correct. I remember seeing it on several occasions. Always knew it was coming because of the Constable riding on the Station Pilot.

Another one here, Mr Christie has some lovely shots:

http://www.flickr.co...157626818480878

I think that's one of the LMS 42 footers like the Lima one, but with the higher roof?

I think its just the flatter roof profile and curved down ends on the Hawksworth BG making it look higher.

I'll go for the high roof version, the standard lower roof vans had roof vents.

10 Built 1938 to D2023 "Suitable for aeroplane traffic"

Built to max loading guage 13' 00"

Note on diagram "wheels not exceed 3'6" on tread"

Withdrawn 1965-1967

I'll go for the high roof version, the standard lower roof vans had roof vents.

Yes, without digging out my NPCS volume of Essery & Jenkinson and relying on the highly scientific method ( :D!) of holding a Lima LMS 42' van at a similar angle to the one in the pic, the arc of the roof looks to be very different- the roof of the bog standard van appears to have a much flatter curve than the 'aeroplane' version

It's a conversion I pondered a few years back but never actually got round to doing anything about beyond picking up a secondhand Lima example at the next exhibition I went to...

It lasted quite late- was it one of the last Dean-era vehicles to survive in Revenue stock, I wonder? There's another photo in the relevant Cheona Press book .

According to the RCTS coaching stock book the Mark 1 Bullions http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmark1/e3ee05fa4 were converted in 1965-6. I would assume they replaced this van.

Paul Bartlett

I think its just the flatter roof profile and curved down ends on the Hawksworth BG making it look higher.

I wasnt misled by that, Lloyd. The Hawksworth was the last thing I looked at, the goods brake was the first. Oh and I believe there's an engine there somewhere as well :smile_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

According to the RCTS coaching stock book the Mark 1 Bullions http://PaulBartlett....mark1/e3ee05fa4 were converted in 1965-6. I would assume they replaced this van.

Paul Bartlett

The GW type 'noil vans' *as they were known to those dealing with them internally (presumably a security description) were still in traffic in the late summer of 1965 and there were at that time a couple running regularly on Class 1 services between London and Bristol for gold bullion moving via Avonmouth Docks.

The GW type 'noil vans' *as they were known to those dealing with them internally (presumably a security description) were still in traffic in the late summer of 1965 and there were at that time a couple running regularly on Class 1 services between London and Bristol for gold bullion moving via Avonmouth Docks.

My photograph is from January 1967! I wasn't suggesting these vans had stopped being used earlier than that.

Paul Bartlett

Yep, see p47 of Historic Carriage Drawings Vol3

Which I now remember I have a copy of :rolleyes: Like John I thought LNWR, for those without the book it's a 6w combination truck and almost 50 years old at the time of the pic. Any kits Bill, do you know?

Archived