Recommended airbrush?

I'm in the middle of refurbishing a Heljan O gauge deltic and will soon need to respray it. I've got a budget of about £85, not including the price of a compressor. Bearing in mind that I need a model that can accommodate enough paint to paint a big O gauge loco, can anyone recommend a good airbrush for me?

Many thanks

Paul

• RMweb Premium

You don't necessarily need a large paint reservoir - you can easily top it up. I usually mix up my paint in a small jar and syringe into the cup as required. But you can always use the jars if you really need a lot of paint.

I bought from Absolute Airbrush via ebay. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Absolute-Airbrush?_trksid=p4340.l2563 No connection, other than as a satisfied customer

Although not a "branded" item it works fine for me. No doubt there will be those that swear by Badger/Iwata etc.

Cheers,

Mick

I have read Tim Shackleton's excellent book "aspects of modelling: "Weathering Locomotives and Rolling Stock" in it he recommends an AB-180 as a good airbrush for a reasonable price - you can pick one up for either £41 or £57 with a couple of nozzles and in a box from the site below. This is the one I intend to get.

http://www.everythingairbrush.com/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eeverythingairbrush%2ecom%2f&WD=ab%2d180&PN=Gravity_Feed%2ehtml%23aAB_2d180#aAB_2d180

I can recommend the AB180 as a excellent value for money airbrush. Don't worry about the capacity of the cup, it's plenty big enough for 7mm scale work, and much better than having a paint jar hanging on the end of the airbrush! Get the kit which includes spare needle & nozzle plus air hose for under 60 quid

Have a look at the Airbrush Company in Lancing for the Neo airbrush made for/by Iwata who make the Rolls Royce of airbrushed. The Neos start at £47. They also come with a 5 year warranty.

I don't have one (I have a Harder & Steenbeck) but also have the PremI-air G35 which is now £42 so I'd pay the extra fiver.

Cheers Mark

• 2 months later...

Just to add an alternative to the list (even though one is mine) I bought an AB-130 instead. The only difference I can tell is the nozzle is a different size and the cup is slightly smaller. However I paid £23 for mine off Ebay from everything Airbrush and it came with a free hose - well worth checking out. I will post some pics later of what it can do regarding weathering.

Iwata for me. I tried the cheaper ones and it just led to frustration and issues, the Iwata is an absolute dream to use. Always as good as new every time I use it. If I were purchasing now, I would go with the Iwata 'Neo', at 50 quid, its a no brainer. A decent compressor is if anything more important than the brush.

Cheers,

Lee.

Archived