BRM now available online as an e-mag

Dicky W

Just a point. All computer screens are in Landscape, Most / all mags Portrait. Hence viewing them is a pain in the a**e.

Are they "reconfigured" to correctly fill the screen. By the way my monitor is a 19" non-widescreen, my daughter has a widescreen monitor which I really do not like.

As for emags, I would rather have a paper one. (Being an old fashioned sod). Nothing better than rummaging around dusty boxes in the loft looking for an old late 60's Model Railway Constructor mag !!

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Just a point. All computer screens are in Landscape, Most / all mags Portrait. Hence viewing them is a pain in the a**e.

Are they "reconfigured" to correctly fill the screen. By the way my monitor is a 19" non-widescreen, my daughter has a widescreen monitor which I really do not like.

As for emags, I would rather have a paper one. (Being an old fashioned sod). Nothing better than rummaging around dusty boxes in the loft looking for an old late 60's Model Railway Constructor mag !!

Brit15

Tablets can be either landscape or portrait. Dont try using one in a rocking chair otherwise it will probably keep changing back and forth between the two!!

Despite preferring magazines electronically, I am not giving up all my books!!

Ian

Ian

You know when the digital age has gone too far when you're on a promise and your pacemaker calls an ambulance...

The ambulance doesn't turn up because of cuts but you get do it yourself resuscitation instructions by e mail :rtfm:

Yes, I can see that happening. And didn,t somebody start publishing a rather nice E-magazine over here before even BRM .... :mail:

Hornby is available through Zinio. As soon as I locate my Visa, I will order.

It is part of the game with Wild Swan that my GWRJ and MRJ will keep coming through Nigel Bird. The smaller format and black and white photos are fine for someone who models Britain before the fateful hour of Midnight December 31, 1947.

Query-

I want to read it on a MacBook, not an iPhone or iPad. Should I be ordering the app or the pocketmags version?

Also, what is the format and can I be sure I will still be able to access my magazine in 10 or 20 years time? (I still have my first Railway Modeller from 1980.) Essentially, is it in pdf or pdf-a? Any other format is more of a loan. "This ain't a purchase, it's a rental" as Tom Waits said.

I've been waiting for model railway magazines online for years - easier to read if you have a good screen, and don't clutter up my overfull shelves. And easier to search. But the wrong format is a killer, because you can lose the magazine during an upgrade.

Any information appreciated, thanks.

• RMweb Gold

You can install Zinio on Android, iOS, Windows and Mac pc's. Just go to their website ans select to download and install the app. The magazine can be downloaded for offline reading but at the moment I am not too sure what file format is used.

I have the same magazine issue stored on 4 different devices so there doesnt seem to be linit as long as you are using the same username etc.

Ian

Brit15

It's something planned for the future - I won't say how far away - that we'll produce a reformatted e-mag that fits computer/tablet screens better.

Oh, and thanks for your support Pete!

Andy - I wont be selling any Galaxy bars - how do you think I keep this figure?

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure of the file format although as Krusty says its based on Adobe Flash.

Once you instal the relevant Zinio app on your PC or handheld device, you then log in with your username and password. Once logged in first itme you do not need to again. If you download the magazine for offline reading then it will always be there.

You can also read online via your web browser after logging in, so in theroy if you are on another computer you can still read the magazines you have paid for, be they current or older issues.

What I am not sure about is whether you have the magazines for life if say Zinio were to no longer exist.

I throw away most magazines into the recycling these days as have limited space but if I want a magazine like Backtrakc for keeps then I will still intent to buy the hardcopy.

Ian

Yes, I tried that useful info page before I posted, but it didn't answer my question. I've reread it, and it still doesn't.

Thanks, roundhouse and krusty. I've checked up zinio reader online.

So, as I understand it, I'd be getting a copy magazine from one company (British Railway Modelling) which is supplied through an intermediary, pocket mags, and depends on the proprietary software of another company (Zinio) for me to be able to read it. If Zinio go bust, or stop supporting old magazine files, I lose access to whatever I've bought.

Trains Magazine had an issue with their dvd archive - 70 years of back issues, which are really fantastic. The data is based on pdf format, but only accessible through an application supplied with the dvd. When Apple did a security upgrade, the app stopped working and it took Kalmbach several weeks to come up with a fix. Now I have my magazines back, but I keep wondering for how long. If Apple upgrade again, will Kalmbach be able to fix their app? What happens if, in 5 or 10 years, they simply announce that they're no longer supporting the app? My archive, which I thought I was buying for keeps, will become unusable.

I know publishers need to protect their product against unauthorised copying, but at the moment I could scan any magazine and post it on the internet, so I don't see how crippling my download is going to protect them, and it injures me because my money doesn't actually buy me a copy; it only buys me the right to look at a copy until someone else decides to revoke that right. I'm not blaming BRM: I think the internet is driving everything the same way, and I don't like it.

I just don't think I'll be subscribing to this package - which is a shame, because I'd love the convenience, and I'm very happy reading from a screen.

This is the problem with a proprietary system like Apple & why i don't have anything Apple. Everything is done with one hand tied behind your back.

My question ?

Is Zinio just a reader & would something like Google reader work just as well, outside of Apple that is ?

• RMweb Premium

Very good idea, Hopefully more mags will follow.

(and if MRJ could offer that sort of service.......)

Rich,

This, of course, would involve Wild Swan recognising that the internet exists. An email address, never mind an e-mag, would be a start but perhaps they still have dial-up and it could involve several hours waiting for one email with attachments to download.

On another point, I have a large stock of magazines from the fifty years that I have been buying them and though a bit dog-eared in places they are still eminently readable. I do have a concern that changes in digital media over the next fifty years (not that I'll be around to see them. . .) may cause some problems in the retrieval of information in obsolete formats. At present I can walk to a cupboard and instantly access a Kenneth Werrett drawing for a Glasgow & South Western 6T Cattle Wagon (dimensions taken by the author in 1919!) from the September 1962 MRN. It may be old technology but it still works. Scale drawings in a magazine - now there's an idea. . .

David

• RMweb Gold

I like the digital media for the magazines that I read then throw away - its great.

However I do have concerns for anyhting I want to keep - ie the magazines I dont throw away after a year, so yes I fully unferstand concerns some of you have and thats why certain magazines I will still buy these ones untill they start doing them in an unprotected pdf type file.

In magazine terms we are just starting down the route that music went down some years ago that is now sorting itself out as unprotected mp3 files that you cannow save and store on numerous devices - I now buy more music online than I did before as I now know I can use them on any of my devices in a similar way as i could with a CD beforehand!

We've no plans to stop the paper version - so if there's an issue you do want to keep and you're worried about its electronic 'life', you can always buy a hard copy!

The e-mag is also now available though Android Market:

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/News/British_Railway_Modelling_magazine_now_available_on_Android_Market/

Regards

Richard

Archived