Scratchbuilt electric engine in 0-scale

Hawk

For more years than I care to think about I have been toiling away on an electric engine in 0-scale. More precise, 1/45 scale, 22,2mm gauge. Those metricheads among you might have deducted that the prototype is meter-gauge.

This is the lates image:

sneak_prew.jpg

Almost finished, only minor details remains. Lenses for the headligts are to be turned from acrylic rod, some more weathering, (rust stains, washes on the bogies, general dust) glazing for the windows, couplers and builders plates (Bagnall and Westinghouse)

Regards, Hawks

Thank you all for the positive replies!

The prototype engine was indeed built in England. The body was made by Bagnall, and the electric equipment by British Westinghouse. Three engines of this type were delivered to the Thamshavn Railway in 1908. You can find an article in english about the railroad here. A really nice prototype for a model railway.

The pantograph is scratchbuilt, and I almost gave up the whole project due to frustrations during its construction. I though I was so clever choosing a simple engine for my first scratchbuilding project...

Here is another shot of the pantograph:

pantograph_finished.jpg

Regards, Hawk

• 1 month later...

Somene asked for more details.

Here are a headlight and marker light. I use macro photography to check my work, I do not trust my eyesight alone...

The lenses are acrylic rods turned to a press fit into the brass turnings. I place an oversize rod in the lathe, square up the end and polish it as best as I can. Then I turn it down to the correct diameter. After pressing home the acrylic rod (still in the lathe), it is parted off and the surface of the lens polished.

sluttsignal_w.jpg

nylykt_02.jpg

lyktedeler_w.jpg

nylykt.jpg

Great work, is it possible to see more of the chassis and the transmission ?

Thanks!

The mechanism is a very home-grown contraption.

It has only one powered axle pr. boggie, but with enough weight added to the engine It should be enough. The prototype was not very powerful, either, so it was put into shunting duties when more powerful engines were introduced.

Here is a diagram of the mechanism:

drivverk.jpg

Since making this sketch I have introduced a larger flywheel.

Here are the wheels and the NWSL gearboxes:

026_lokhjul.jpg

The mechanism:

drivverk_01_w.jpg

Regards, Hawk

• 4 weeks later...

It might be hard to see the difference from last time, but here are the first pictures of the completed model:

ferdig_03_web.jpg

ferdig_02_web.jpg

ferdig_01_web.jpg

Microsope cover glasses for glazing have been added, as well as a bit more weathering, whistles and air brake hose & valves. And not to forget, the builders plates!

For those really into foreign tincans, the next issue of Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling will feature an article on this project.

I am struggling for superlatives for your work here, what a cracking job. The pantograph is a work of art in itself, can you make me a dozen like it please? :stinker:

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Regarding the pantograph, it was the biggest struggle of the whole project. I was on the brink of giving up and dieselize several times, but I finally got them nailed. I have another one ready, but I still need to build 2-3 more of the same type and 4-6 of another model. Custom building the darn things sounds like the ultimate masochistic business plan. Just suggesting it is flat out sadistic! :no:

Archived