Gallows Close Multiple Unit Workshop - Three's a crowd? The Class 144 Project

Guest bri.s

Hi Bri,

The class number starts with a 1 :jester: Any guesses?  Think West Yorkshire.......

Chris.

Teasing now lol

Guest bri.s
  • RMweb Premium

Spot on Brian.

I'm going to give it a go. I've got some ideas in development at the moment, and I think I might be able to get this to work. We'll see!

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hi Chris

Have you got a pile of Tower Models Leyland Nationals ?

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Spot on Brian.

I'm going to give it a go. I've got some ideas in development at the moment, and I think I might be able to get this to work. We'll see!

Best wishes,

Chris.

Ha I only chose that because it was the weirdest thing I could think off of hand lol

But great stuff I'll be looking forward to how you get on

I've no doubt you'll do it justice

Brian

Thanks Brian.

An update on the Mk IIc.  The coach is now in undercoat.  Prior to painting I thinned out the window bars a bit to try and get them looking a little more elegent, and there were one or two areas on the body and roof that required attention.

post-6842-0-46762900-1425839801_thumb.jpg

post-6842-0-65440500-1425839809_thumb.jpg

The roof vents are salvaged from the Hornby class 110 that died for the parcels unit.  The coach had a coat of rail grey this afternoon and hopefully will get rail blue tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 6

A stranger unit would be the prototype class 140 which spent many years dumped at Holbeck depot in Leeds. As to modelling s 141 a few points to remember are as follows..

1 they were narrower than standard units.

2 when new at least 1 was Workington blue and cream, the rest were West yorkshire Metro green and cream

3 when new they had non standard couplings and high mounted pipework

They were worked ECS to Kilmarnock to be refurbed via the Settle-Carlise and worked back after refurb via the same route, leaving Leeds in green and returning in red and cream having received standard couplings, new engine/gearboxes and overhauls.

Hello Tamperman,

I remember the class 140 derelict at Holbeck - It lay in a sorry state for many years.  More on the class 141 project soon, but first back to the mark two upgrade.

post-6842-0-42963300-1426001111_thumb.jpg

The BFK is all but finished.  For comparison the others have come up quite well as well. They have all been repainted to get a consistent finish across the different manufacturers, and the Lima offerings have been re-glazed with scrap windows from the donor Dapol coaches. Running numbers still need to be applied to all the intercity liveries coaches.  Below is a standard Dapol IId.

post-6842-0-64912700-1426001115_thumb.jpg

The surprise in the bunch was the Lima Mk IIf.

post-6842-0-56643400-1426001119_thumb.jpg

With a nice paint job and flush glaze it looks like a completely different model.

post-6842-0-03502700-1426001099_thumb.jpg

The IIc has reached lettering and lining out, and is looking reasonable.

What do you reckon?

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 7

Guest bri.s

Just reacquainted myself with the 140 thanks to google and that is a strange one

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hello Brian,

Just reacquainted myself with the 140 thanks to google and that is a strange one

The pre-production railbus was an an acquired taste for sure - We can almost be thankful that Leyland built the first production batch.....  The class 140 is preserved somewhere in Scotland if I'm not mistaken.

Chris.

Many years ago I aquired an MTK kit for the class 140 which I decided to use as a basis for a model. I am using two Hornby 142 chassis slimmed down as it was a narrow bodied unit.post-13362-0-60971900-1426016397_thumb.jpg

This is the progress so far, one half just about finished other half requiring roof, interior and detailing and then finally motorising and chipping.

Edited by tamperman36
  • Like 3

Many years ago I aquired an MTK kit for the class 140 which I decided to use as a basis for a model. I am using two Hornby 142 chassis slimmed down as it was a narrow bodied unit.attachicon.gifImage047.jpg

This is the progress so far, one half just about finished other half requiring roof, interior and detailing and then finally motorising and chipping.

Photo on friends fb page https://www.facebook.com/ExeterStaffPastAndPresent/photos/a.860643527332487.1073741891.684120314984810/861289180601255/?type=3&theater

• Like 1

I have started a 141, using a 142 as the donor.

Even using a 142 as a donor it’s not been the easiest thing to build, but it is starting to take shape.

The more you look at the 141 and 142 the more you notice the little differences, to the point you might as well scratch build one!

I used what I could from the 142 and decided to make a mould to help when producing the 2nd half, covering the 2 sides back and front and the roof.

The thing I am struggling with is the front window, would be so easy if it was a square window!!

• Like 1

I aquired some cast white metal parts a few years ago at a bus rally in the shape of 2 castings for the front lower panel of a Leyland National mk2 and 2 castings for the front indicator panel for all Leyland Nationals, they are very nicely done and are from Pirate models. I got them with the plan to build an LEV which I will do eventually, See the photo included, these could be useful to help. We could posibily work together and create some castings to make some 141 fronts.post-13362-0-49354200-1426282498_thumb.jpg

Edited by tamperman36

Yer sounds good to me, I still need to master the art of casting, I use that liquid plastic, which is ok, but I just struggle with the odd air bubble in the cast, I have tried white metal casting in the past but wasn't that successful.  

I had a look, this afternoon, at my 141 which has been shelved for a few weeks, with intention of posting a picture, but wanted to tidy up some of the filler beforehand.

You have got me in to mood to wipe the dust off and have another bash at it. But got some Pullmans to get finished and out of the way first, so hopefully next week I could spend a few hours on it.

My plan is to have a number of them running around the future layout, in the red and cream. That’s mainly the reason for making some moulds.

I have the bulk of the front moulded, just wanted a separate window and window frame section to cast in clear plastic, but can’t seem to cast a clear casting.

I also have an MTK LEV in the stages of production, now that has been a challenge build!!

• RMweb Premium

...if you're setting up a 141 production line, one more for me would be easy, wouldn't it...?  :jester:

[EDIT: this was aimed at m.levin, there should have been a quote from his post above but it seems to have gotten lost somewhere :scratchhead:]

Edited by JDW
  • Like 1