Gallows Close Multiple Unit Workshop - Three's a crowd? The Class 144 Project

Hi Chris,

Exellent work on the EMU's. I have often thought that I would like to model an ER EMU from Replica bits, they are not something you see modelled too often. Your 307 may give me the push I need to get started. The 156 looks a whole lot better too. Once again excellent work.

Cheers for now, Ian

Great work Chris, you certainly have been busy since your last update. Your 307 is coming along nicely.

Blimey the 156 looks much better, what a cracking model that is now. Only yesterday I found a photo of a brand new 156 sat outside Colchester depot so it is quite uncanny that I should be looking at your model today.

Great work on the 308, seeing it reminds me of journeys on the GE although back then they were blue and grey! 

You have a nice EMU fleet.

Any progress on the layout?

Thanks for all the likes - and of course the comments.

Any progress on the layout?

Well Alex, to be honest - no.  I have been in rolling stock mode, and just enjoying running trains.  I made a traverser for the 'Leeds' end and have whiled away quite a few evenings shuttling up and down the layout.

Returning to the class 307, I have picked up a Lok Pilot decoder and begun test running.  I retained the Bachmann close coupling system, but I was interested to see you the unit coped particularly on the tight curves I have leading to my storage yards.  Power wise, the one motored bogie is sufficient to move all four cars, but I did notice that the non-powered bogie on the motor coach was derailing.  This turned out to be nothing more than the bogie frame fouling the underslung compressor.  With this removed it seems to run without further problem.  The underframes will be re-built anyway, so for now the offending compressor is in store.

One thing was however bothering me more.  The TSOL coach had a distorted cantrail at one end - picked up only once the unit was in primer. 

post-6842-0-22458800-1380131591.jpg

post-6842-0-51676200-1380132108.jpg

I tried to remove the roof, but this was pretty well solid, so I decided on some more drastic surgery.  First I carved off the cantrail and sanded smooth.  I then re-profiled the roof to remove some of the distortion caused by my error.  I then made a new cantrail with plastic strip and glued in place.

post-6842-0-98231000-1380131747.jpg

Finally, I have filled a small area at the very end of the coach to help match the profile of the roof with the other vehicles.  A bit more sanding (may be) yet, but I think it is more or less OK now. Apologies for the photo quality - I was losing the light

post-6842-0-82487200-1380131847.jpg

I'll get it all back in primer and then hopefully I'm back on track.

Thanks for looking in,

Chris.

• Like 4

I set about making a half decent model of a Stone Faiveley AMBR pantograph today. 

My chosen class 307 unit carried such a pan until the end, and with the options either a Hurst models kit or Sommerfeldt proprietary I plumped for the Sommerfeldt option.  The Sommerfeldt comes in two types; there is a three leg base and a four leg version - It is the four legger which is required.  Of course the four legger is designed to fit a continental SNCF locomotive and as a result the base does not fit the standard BR mounting. The pan head is also quite a heavy duty affair as befits its French prototype.  So to the model - Below a before and after.

post-6842-0-62083000-1380471357.jpg

Firstly the base was modified to match the standard BR mounting.  This was achieved with sections of bullhead rail soldered to the existing legs.  At the extreme ends, the rail section was ground away to allow for the insulating pots. 

Secondly, the pan head was cut back to the basic frame and a new head fabricated from brass rod.  The new head was soldered in to place.

Finally a coat of rail grey.

Here it is on the class 307 for testing prior to painting.

post-6842-0-51861700-1380471386.jpg

Thanks for looking in,

Chris

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello RM Webbers,

After what seems like an age, the ugly duckling of the EMU world has entered the paint booth to hopefully emerge as a swan in WYPTE Crimson and Buttermilk.

Before it went in I had completed the exhausting process of filling and sanding. I then added gangways to the car ends. These have been built up from plastic strip to match the Mk I EMU gangway style which differs from the coach gangways in having no fabric bellows. I have also added the toilet filler pipes as can be seen below on the left most coach.

post-6842-0-83183100-1394820909.jpg

Still left to spray is the roof colour and the coach ends. I also have the orange stripe to add below the cream band, as this is the early version of WYPTE Red livery. For this I'm tempted to spray it, but it sits just below the door hinges and I'm afraid of smudging it. The thought of running a transfer along the coach makes me shudder though.....

post-6842-0-66709100-1394820919.jpg

Once done, I'll need to add all of the MW pipes, handrails and of course transfers.

Thanks for looking in,

Chris.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Time for an update on the AM7.  The unit is now all painted, lined out and has had transfers applied - and I think it looks rather good.

post-6842-0-39130100-1402847924.jpg

post-6842-0-05108400-1402847934.jpg

post-6842-0-11165200-1402847986.jpg

Still on the to do list for this one:

1. The odd window or two still to fit

2. Ride height and underframes

3. Interiors

All-in-all, I'm very pleased with this now, and  can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

post-6842-0-06297200-1402847992.jpg

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 18

Wow,  thnaks for the positive feedback..  Much appreciated.

Looks great!  I'm not surprised you're happy with it.

Looking excellent

David

Hello Clive,

Hi Chris

I have a pot of green MU paint so you can finish it as it should be. :rtfm:

Seriously it looks great, well done. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

I always thought that the Crimson rather suited them - certainly it sat better than NSE.  If its green you want, then you'll have to do it yourself :paint: And whilst you are at it you'll have to backdate the OLE! :laugh:   Seriously Clive, you have been a great help in getting this far, thanks.

Very nice Chris, and contrary to Clives memories, just how I remember them from my spotting days ;)

You should be justly chuffed!

Cheers.

Sean.

Chuffed indeed.  Its nearly 25 years since the 307s plied their trade in West Yorkshire, it goes so fast....  

Thanks again for all the support,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

I have a pot of green MU paint so you can finish it as it should be. :rtfm:

Seriously it looks great, well done. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Green??? GREEN?? On a refurb? :onthequiet:

Shurely Shome Mishtake??  Blue/Grey all the way, baby!

Seriously, damn nice job there, Chris.  :good: 

I commuted on the 307s from Brentwood to the Street from the mid-80s until they were withdrawn (the Brentwood/Harold Wood then fast to the Street was always a pair of 307s)

Get a window seat so as to be in a position of strength to get the door open half-way down the platform and start running about a coach length from the stops! Unless it was mid-winter, in which case the down-rated non-doored bay of seating avoided the draughts.

I have vaguer memories of them pre-refurbishment, when they were just one of the seemingly generic non-sliding-doored blue compartment units!

Looks great I only ever saw the 307s in this livery although I never had a run on them. 

Your photo of the 308 brought back memories of driving them on the Leeds, Bradford, Skipton, Illkey triangle. 

Very nice work.

Very nice indeed Mr Gallows Close, superb modelling. Whilst I never saw a 307 in that livery you certainly have captured the EMU very well Sir. I rather like them in that livery!

I remember seeing them at Witham, albeit in blue and grey, they would work down from Liverpool Street but only in the rush hour. 

Lovely job!

• RMweb Premium

Looks excellent Chris, great stuff.

Always nice to see a project finished, even more so with this one after all the cutting'n'shutting you had to do!

More power to your workbench :-)

More updates from the workbench. 

Not all fits the Multiple Unit brief however, with the airbrush out I have also been busy updating some old stuff. I have had a Mainline model of class 56, 56077 in my fleet since the early 1980's, but it was a little too early for my modelling period of '88 to 94, so with a bit of research I discovered that it carried original Railfreight grey from about 1985 until 1990.  So I decided that it would pass through the works. 

post-6842-0-76999100-1403299145.jpg

post-6842-0-54171400-1403299150.jpg

Lying in a box for a long time has ben a Lima class 31 in Railfreight distribution livery - again a bit of research put a suitable candidate loco in civil engineer's Dutch livery around my modelling period, and so she too has entered the works and will emerge as 31119.  I just need some white number sets to complete.

post-6842-0-09903800-1403299302.jpg

Finally, and I hope this is not overload I have taken a couple more shots of the AM7 from the other end of the unit.

post-6842-0-73387500-1403299364.jpg

post-6842-0-49791900-1403299375.jpg

post-6842-0-08624500-1403299381.jpg

I am already looking at the next projects to pass through the works.  I have a class 20 project waiting to go, where I intend to create two early nineties pairings.  But for the MUWS I have a genesis of an idea to create a parcels unit - a class 114 in Royal Mail red with roller shutter doors.  A spur of inspiration from a well respected modeller has given me the push to try a DPU - common in the area in my chosen period.  Watch this space !

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 10

Whilst the 307 is very nice, now you are talking my language Chris, Original Railfreight Grid, mmmmmmm Nice! Funnily enough 077 is on my list of Grids to model....eventually! Lovely job Sir.

I look forward to seeing your pair of 20s too. Any ideas which ones yet?

The latest photos are very good, especially the one with 077 passing under the bunker.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Alex,

Just back from my hols.....

The class twenties currently on the bench are:-

20052 - BR Blue

20090 - Railfreight

20129 - BR Blue

20177 - BR Blue

The choice of locos has been governed by the availability of bogies.  I have five donor locos to make the four examples, however at least one of them rode on two different bogie types at the same time (a different one at each end) - so I want to get that correct. I have sound decoders in stock for all four. I'll probably not post them on this thread as it is a bit "off topic" not being kitbuilding or scratchbuilding.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

So, with the class 307 all but done, it is time to start a new multiple unit project to tide me over the winter. Whilst browsing the web I came across another modeller's website where a Hornby class 110 had been butchered to create a class 114 Derby Heavyweight DMU - basically a stretched class 108.  Now, I have no use for that, but my model Kinsley Colliery is set right at the beginning of the 1990's and typical during this period were parcels and Royal Mail DMU's.  True, they were on their last legs, but why not a Derby diesel parcels unit in Royal Mail Letters livery?  This is what I'm trying to achieve.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/4811757561/in/photolist-8kcvTg-9vkwv1-9vhwDi-9uQ241-9zzXx3-9tZvL8-iBHv5a-9qRZ8j-9qRZiW-9qRZdj-9qS1bQ-9qS4sq-9qS1xh-9qRZqS-9qNY8z-hqdrvr-9qRWGL-9vAp73-9PHkmx-beizDz-bfK3mK-bfKbg8-attFVX-attG1g-atwnxj-attFTv-buZCGD-bXhH5a-frfrMJ-d6QCx5-bgtoLV-p9U2Za-ns9HsU-df5p3Y-9rCKWz-p6S6ii-hNKKFx-7FrMLd-8H5Veq-pvc99h-934Vp8-9Vv1xq-9JoLuU-8HBDBT-m5DnbH-9svsLZ-hKhoCn-dUEyZH-9wffC4-8GSxn3-a2nvpz

The model is based on the venerable Hornby class 110, and I take no credit for inventing this conversion - however after the passenger version we're on our own to make it in to a parcels unit. A DC kits Derby cab is also required to make this work.  The starting blocks are shown below.

post-6842-0-66340000-1413216117.jpg

Cab Front

post-6842-0-86384200-1413216139_thumb.jpg

Redundant class 110

Now with a bit of chopping and splicing, you can quite quickly come up with this.  A basic class 114 DMBS car.

post-6842-0-34732600-1413216199_thumb.jpg

From this...

post-6842-0-27587400-1413216341_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I have stretched the Hornby body by inserting parts of the centre coach to make the DMBS - The same priciple is required for the DTC coach.  There is however a problem.  I was thinking of using a Lima class 117 underframe, however the DMBS car scales out at 4mm too short.  I'll have to see what I'll do once the DTC is made. One idea is to use the Hornby frames and bogies, but they'll have to be stretched and the underframes rebuilt.  Another is to work out where to add the missing 4mm to the bodies and use the Lima bits..  Time will tell.

Next up the DTC....

Please feel free to pass comment, and any suggestions are of course welcome.

Thanks for dropping in,

Chris.

• Like 5