7mm narrow gauge in card

cornamuse

Hi currently cuttting out my 2nd slate waggon, the first one has been abandoned to experence.

Once I get a couple made I will post my thoughts and ideas on assembley if that is ok Andy

One thing I know already is that if I was going to make a lot I want one of those cutting devices!

Laurence

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 1

Thank you! I hope you feel it is worth sticking at :) the bug box is a lot easier - far bigger bits to cut out.

The slate waggon was my first try as it was the fiddliest and least likely to work piece of rolling stock I could think of ....... therefore, if that one works the rest should be no problem!

Hi, Your print of the coach side was "far too shiny" .. did you try a matte or semi-gloss paper? or even print onto ordinary (but good quality) paper?

I know my painting skills would destroy any building efforts that I make, and I like the idea of printing the artwork!

Used glossy - its all I have at the moment - plain, good quality paper lost the detain on the crests - I use high quality paper for printing on to anyway, but there was too much bleed. Need to have a try with matte photo paper, I guess. The main reason I am not pursuing it too much further at the moment is that I feel there needs to be a similarity of approach between all the element of the finished layout, and a printed coach will stand out against the ones I have already painted - even though I know I can't make as clean a job painting it. Everything on the layout so far is painted card - rolling stock, locos, and buildings, and I feel it gives a cohesive feel to the model, which is important in such a small place. mind you, I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about :)

Hi at the mo the project is a diorama with a tractor towing 3 or 4 waggons. It is a bit of a toe in the water exercise.

One change I would recomend is to make the hole in the chassis narrower so that ham fisted people like me dont wreak

the thing during the cutting stage :O . where do you get your cheap brush-on superglue? The only cheapo sg I can find is

nozzle type.

Laurence

Hi there Laurence

- if it is the hole in the chassis for weights that is giving problems, you can get away without cutting it out - especially for a diorama. Or the weight could be added as the load. It will also make the chassis stronger - not that it really needs to be!

Tescos has had cheap brush on glue, but cant find any at the moment I am afraid, so using whatever I can get, usually nozzle type - which means I frequently do without fingerprints :) Perversely, model shop superglue works out cheaper as it comes in much bigger bottles - say 20ml for not much more than 5ml from a supermarket.

any help?

Andy

• Like 1

The best bottle of supper glue I have had was from Poundland it lasted over 2 years must have been faulty!

I wont be cutting out the hole on the current lot as they wont be going any where, Iam concidering the printed wheels

when I find my compas cutter .As for strength they will probibly be stronger than an equivelent etched model!

Lauence

• Like 1

Hi better temptet to try sg gel.As always sg sticks better to fingers than to what it is supost to!

It always amuses me that you have to keep all surfaces that you are gluin spotless or it wont stick,BUT if it gets on oily fingers it sets

strait away!

Laurence

• Like 1

Ok - at last - Zoo car and 1st small Birmingham coaches finished. Fairly chuffed with them, even though my painting isn't up to the standard that I can print at, but I do like the overall look :)

post-11344-0-11054500-1334440146.jpg

post-11344-0-32615800-1334440162.jpg

post-11344-0-36489500-1334440174.jpg

post-11344-0-52954600-1334440184.jpg

post-11344-0-06404100-1334440198.jpg

post-11344-0-65006800-1334440206.jpg

Still no locomotive, or power to the track :D time to fix both, I think, so that I don't have to keep finger shunting. Either that or I should staart making a Brio layout :)

Pictures a bit cruel, but my excuse is they are mostly larger than life, and I model to 3ft scale - i.e. it looks ok from 3ft away :D

Andy

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Tonight's progress - bottled out of building the horiffic curved ends and decided to work on the inside. which answers nother question I hd in my head - yes one set of doors will be open, which means finding a bloke to drive it. In fatigues or working clothes?

post-11344-0-06371500-1334612038.jpg

post-11344-0-12566700-1334612057.jpg

post-11344-0-98967700-1334612062.jpg

post-11344-0-42757500-1334612046.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Inside finished and painted - shame it will be barely visible :)

the end sheets took about 3 minutes in the end. I bet the rivet detail takes a bit longer!

post-11344-0-85284900-1334699245_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-01019500-1334699254_thumb.jpg

also killed 2 potential white metal drivers :(

anyone know of a good source for WW1 figures in 7mm scaale?

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi one problem I have been having is with lining up laminations and gluing them, so I am trying gluing them in pairs and leaving them to set under my shapening stone

to teach them manners! I am currently sneezing me head off so playing with verry shap knives is not a good idea!

Laurence

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 1

is that working? how about printing off one sheet and laminating it to another sheet or 2, then cutting it all at once - or was that what you meant anyway?

I also found with the chassis, that perfect lining up was not too critical, as you could trim them at the end. Not as good as getting it right first time but ok, and probably good enough for a static model. the sides hide most of the messy bits anyway :)

Edited by cornamuse

tin turtle progresses - roof made of many laminations, silencer some 3mm tube and a sticky label. wish that worked on my car :D

rivets are done, too - opted for glue blobs - no more nails, cos I had it handy. not great, but ok. now working on the paint job.....

post-11344-0-46604000-1335200524.jpg

post-11344-0-04236100-1335202640.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Andy a range of WW1 figures are made by PLM Castaways 12 New st Merry Hill Wolverhampton WV3 7NW tel 01902 339011

Contact details of the internet so iam not sure if they are up to date

Laurence

ps the Simplex is looking good

Hi Andy a range of WW1 figures are made by PLM Castaways 12 New st Merry Hill Wolverhampton WV3 7NW tel 01902 339011

Contact details of the internet so iam not sure if they are up to date

Laurence

ps the Simplex is looking good

PLM Castaways will be at the 7mmNGA Exhibition at the Town Hall, Burton-on-Trent on Saturday June 9th, though its a long way for you to travel for one day Andy, though it would be nice if you could bring some of your mdels for us to see in the flesh.( big HINT, its very close to the Railway Station ).

Phil T.