Model Rail 167 April

dibber25

A couple of points to add to the Hornby 'Brighton Belle' review, (its a VERY nice model, by the way) before rmwebbers pick them up. I over-wrote by several paragraphs and the review had to be cut anyway, so these comments wouldn't have got in.
Firstly, the boxes for the blue & grey models refer to 'Third' class cars when they should be 'Second' class and the two Kitchen cars are referred to as parlour cars - its worth knowing this in case you try to order by the proper descriptions and wonder why there seems to be no kitchen cars.
Some of the information in the prototype notes on the box is also misleading - particularly the reference to a five-car diesel set.
Secondly, the big 'set-to' over the curtains in the Hawksworth coaches seems to have deterred Hornby from putting the distinctive orange curtains in the blue and grey 'Belle'.
For anyone who wants to paint their own curtains or put passengers in, the bodies are pretty easy to remove.
CHRIS LEIGH
PS. Sorry, I don't have a contents list for MR167 to hand. I'll post one as soon as I can lay hands on it.

MR167 Contents:

Reviews: Hornby 'Brighton Belle' and Masterpiece Models 'O' gauge streamlined 'Duchess'

Layout: Gogerddigg. N gauge modern Cambrian lines

Southern Region carriage formations

20 ways to fill a corner

Layout: Orchard Road 'OO' blue diesel depot

Wish list: Freight stock

Layout: Hardwick Grange. Frank Dyer's other layout

Workbench:

Add real coal

Ultimate soldering guide

Laser cut plastic model build

Royal Class 67 light flasher

Control a crossover with one point motor

Baseboard alignment on Oakworth

All the regulars including 'Backscene'

Looks good.One point though Chris,Mudmagnets Orchard Road was only just in Hornby February 2012 magazine.Not taking anything away from Mudmagnet having met him and seen Orchard Road up close(its a great layout).Do you not feel its a bit of repetition having the same layout in following months in seperate titles?

Not really my place to comment as I don't have any involvement in the content of issues these days. I guess maybe someone didn't realise it had appeared as recently as that. We keep a close eye on all our competitors but it's impossible to commit to memory everything you see in four or five other titles, and remember when it appeared. Of course, it may just be that we think our photos are better so it's not really duplication..........!!

CHRIS LEIGH

Looks good.One point though Chris,Mudmagnets Orchard Road was only just in Hornby February 2012 magazine.Not taking anything away from Mudmagnet having met him and seen Orchard Road up close(its a great layout).Do you not feel its a bit of repetition having the same layout in following months in seperate titles?

I agree that repetition like this is unfortunate, but with it being in such a recent (even current ?) rival mag, it must be bad luck rather than bad planning! I doubt that any magazine production team sees what is going into the opposition's mag until it is published, unless they read it on here! (We are given the privilege of early contents lists posted here by some of them, which is definitely a big bonus for the casual buyer!)

Richard

Well I dont read Hornby mag but always have a copy of model rail drop through my door each month so thought it was great to see Richards carcking little slice of depot life, so no disappointed customer here!!

Cav

• RMweb Gold

The wagon wish list is well presented and it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on the voting in the poll as it contains, generally, some good basic stuff. And the Hardwicjk Grange article shows just how good Frank Dyer's ideas and modelling were - probably way ahead of most of the hobby then and (dare I say it) even today!

But as for that young fellah who appears in 'Backscene' .........

The wagon wish list is well presented and it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on the voting in the poll as it contains, generally, some good basic stuff. And the Hardwicjk Grange article shows just how good Frank Dyer's ideas and modelling were - probably way ahead of most of the hobby then and (dare I say it) even today!

But as for that young fellah who appears in 'Backscene' .........

Was very impressed with the Wish List for Goods Wagons. I certainly do see the need for there to be R-T-R models of several of these wagons especially the GWR Mica Vans, SR Banana Vans and SR Cattle Wagons. Looking forward to filling out the poll when it comes out. A shame though not to see wagons such as the GWR Ballast Wagons making an appearance though :(

Only other criticism I see for this article is regarding the LMS Cattle Wagons section. The Severn Valley preserved BR Cattle Wagon is a 1/350 Diagram whereas the image shows a standard LMS Cattle Wagon. Apart from the doors the two vehicles have no similarities. I know this may sound petty of me but surely they should have used an image of the 1/350 Diagram and not the standard Cattle Wagon?

Garethp8873.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gareth

As one of the team of authors, I would like to thank you (and Stationmaster) for your kind comments.

When the text was submitted to the magazine, it was in straightforward blocks of text including where any such vehicles were preserved. However, for valid design reasons, Model Rail chose to make a sub-heading of 'where to see' vehicles - and that has introduced the anomaly! Our text as supplied for the second line read: The body style of the last LMS design was also copied by BR for a few wagons built in 1950 and one of these (B891054) is preserved on the Severn Valley Railway (SVR).

Hope this explains the situation.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Chris Nevard's photography would persuade any "waverers" to buy Model Rail. I enjoyed the Hardwick Grange article in the current mag, and the pics were stunning.

I only hope he'll come and work his magic on my layout, it its ever good enough for publication!

Great stuff, Chris!

Jeff

Anything with the word "Cambrian" is worth a read!

looking at Andy's picture it looks a good 'un, Similar to my current project but set some 50 years later!

I am intrigued by the double track line though, must buy the mag to find out why (in the eyes of the layout builder) the line has been doubled.

Some other interesting snippets in the contents list as well.

Cheers!

Frank

• RMweb Premium

The wagon wish list is well presented

Agreed but will it be followed up with an article pointing out the gaps in the airbrake wagon fleet?

Am I alone in being anoyed at excellent modelling being spoilt by Photoshopped smoke?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Anything with the word "Cambrian" is worth a read!

looking at Andy's picture it looks a good 'un, Similar to my current project but set some 50 years later!

I am intrigued by the double track line though, must buy the mag to find out why (in the eyes of the layout builder) the line has been doubled.

It's a long passing loop, which reverts to single track at either end of the layout. Very nicely done, I thought.

Ah! that explains a lot. Not yet having got hold of a copy of Model Rail I didn't know that.But having studied it and seen the RTB mast and shed I should have realised it was a loop.

Yes, the picture shown makes it worth looking at,

Just looking at the one picture it looks like a fair quality layout.

Cheers!

Frank

Am I alone in being anoyed at excellent modelling being spoilt by Photoshopped smoke?

There's been a topic about it before with split views but it's fair to say that MR haven't had any grumbles about it from readers and it's not all shots by any means. You'll be apoplectic when you see a shot on one of the magazine covers next month. ;)

Agreed but will it be followed up with an article pointing out the gaps in the airbrake wagon fleet?

Yep, definately agree. I was trying to turn the page expecting there to be some more recent wagons on the next page and then when it wasn't there I thought there was missing a page. What a shame that it just suddenly stopped mid flow, mid history, mid train load..........

G.

There's been a topic about it before with split views but it's fair to say that MR haven't had any grumbles about it from readers and it's not all shots by any means. You'll be apoplectic when you see a shot on one of the magazine covers next month. ;)

A set of photos is always created with and without smoke, the choice of whether smoke features is down to the editorial team and layout owners, with feedback suggesting that more want it than not, so the majority wins. The smoke is intentionally kept faint, but I do agree it's a little like Marmite.

An enjoyable issue I found. The content, whilst not all to my taste, was good. I don't particularly like the added smoke effects either, but the bigger gripe is the paper is too thin and poor I feel.

Other than that though I enjoy it arriving each month.

Archived