Tucking Mill

queensquare

Picked up my copy of MRJ on Saturday. Absolutely stunning photos of superb models, Jerry! And from experience I know it is a delightful layout to operate and fun too. But the main point I want to make is that - due to your expert craftsmanship - it is almost impossible to tell the scale of the models from the MRJ photos. Always the sign of an excellent model for me. Frankly, they could be 7mm scale: the fact that they are 2mm just adds to one's awe. Well done Jerry!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

May I add my admiration about the article in MRJ and also echo Phil's comments about scale.  Always an indication of a superb layout.  

One query, I followed you link to your web page to look at exhibition dates and they were all for 2012!!  I really woudl like to see this layout in the flesh.  Are you exhibiting anywhere in the South West sometime?

Hi Paul, yes I was hoping to update the website before the article appeared but, unusually for MRJ, it came out a couple of days early. The website will be updated later this week and yes we do have a few in the south-west next year including Yate in Feb, Melksham in April and Salisbury in May. Hopefully see you at one of them.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Jerry. A great read, wonderful pictures and a real source of inspiration to other 2mm layout builders. Strangely, my drive to Camborne to buy the MRJ took me through Tuckingmill........... :O

Hi Ian, thanks for that. The Tuckingmill between 'druth and Camborne isn't as pretty as the one near Midford - or wasn't when I lived in North Country (on the Portreath road)!!

Jerry

As I note in the article, the all first is particularly optimistic. I can only assume that when the Squire bought them from the Great Eastern they came as a job lot!! 

Jerry

Yes. I saw that when I sat down to read it through.

The GWR reclassified some of their four wheel all firsts as composites and as further time passed as thirds. From memory this was just a reclassification and the compartments retained their original size/shape.

Edited by richbrummitt

• RMweb Gold

I have now updated my website with exhibition dates for Tucking Mill, Highbury and Wenfordbridge/Wadebridge for 2014. I will be adding photos of Tucking Mill over the next few days and hope to find time for a number of other updates over Christmas.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have updated the Tucking Mill section of the website and it now contains the complete set that Barry took for the MRJ article.

I have also updated the contacts page as I don't think the email link on there was working - it should be now.

Jerry

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Loving the new layout, fond memories of running Highbury a couple of years ago at St Albans - you're making me want to build a small layout now - better get on with brew lane then.

One rather random question, the logs in the timber yard, are they cut into specific lengths based on actual practice or just what seemed a good length?

to add some variation to my traffic (and that my eventual layout will be somewhere near, if not in, the lake district, wood and slate traffic was quite common so I've been acquiring bolster wagons and need to put some tree trunks on.

The lengths you've used look quite realistic so thought I'd ask :)

• RMweb Gold

Loving the new layout, fond memories of running Highbury a couple of years ago at St Albans - you're making me want to build a small layout now - better get on with brew lane then.

One rather random question, the logs in the timber yard, are they cut into specific lengths based on actual practice or just what seemed a good length?

to add some variation to my traffic (and that my eventual layout will be somewhere near, if not in, the lake district, wood and slate traffic was quite common so I've been acquiring bolster wagons and need to put some tree trunks on.

The lengths you've used look quite realistic so thought I'd ask :)

Many thanks. The logs are made from twigs cut as new growth and allowed to dry out, I have a little tin full of them. I find Field Maple the best, a native of the British isles and very common in our hedgerows. 

As to the lengths I've not really measured them, I just cut them to what looked about right.

jerry

In my experience wood loads look good matched to the length of the wagons, within reason, because the wagons would have been supplied to match the load. Timber would have to be cut to the length or size required at some point. 

If you want to make wood that is of consistent size then produce a jig. This is a must if you want loads of sawn timber.

Edited by richbrummitt

• RMweb Gold
post-8525-0-55651300-1408565635_thumb.jpg
We have a rather large hedge mostly field maple. Have I missed out on a market for 2mm logs? :jester: It has all gone to the recycling. Seriously the loads do look good nice modelling.
Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have a rather large hedge mostly field maple. Have I missed out on a market for 2mm logs? :jester: It has all gone to the recycling. Seriously the loads do look good nice modelling.
Don

I think you'll get one or two wagon loads out of that Don! :-)) 

Jerry

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a very enjoyable weekend at the Farnham show operating Tucking Mill. Unlike Highbury, it is very easy to shunt yourself in to a complete mess which then takes quite some time to sort out! The layout performed almost perfectly, with the only issue being a faulty switch in the controller, however this was swiftly rectified. 

Inbetween operating turns I captured some video on the iPhone:

Thanks once again to Jerry for the opportunity to operate!

Tom. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I've been asked to put up some pictures of the Terrier chassis. It has an 8mm Nigel Lawton motor driving a 30:1 worm and wheel followed by, I think,  12/24 second stage gears giving 60:1 overall. The gears are on a turned  spindle in a 1/16 brass block which is screwed to one side of the chassis thus maintaining electrical isolation - all sounds very fancy but is in fact very Heath-Robinson. 

post-1074-0-56815100-1413534405_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-44876200-1413534422_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-95443100-1413534431_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 6

How is the motor retained Jerry? I can't seem to see any bracket or fixings. 

In the rather optimistic depths of my gloat box I have a spare Terrier body I picked up from, I think, a 009 modeller who had used the chassis. There are many more locos I need to finish before getting around to it. Your one is inspiring though!

• RMweb Gold

How is the motor retained Jerry? I can't seem to see any bracket or fixings. 

In the rather optimistic depths of my gloat box I have a spare Terrier body I picked up from, I think, a 009 modeller who had used the chassis. There are many more locos I need to finish before getting around to it. Your one is inspiring though!

Thanks Justin, in best engineering fashion it's glued in with superglue. Paper is used to insulate it from the chassis and provide some adjustment for height.

Jerry

• Like 4