Tucking Mill

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

I notice there's some cheeky narrow gauge on the stone wharf. Functional or cosmetic?  I've got a 4.5mm gauge track jig if you want to borrow it.

Mark

Like that on Highbury it will be cosmetic, unless we get working 2mm horses in the near future. It's inspired by the Bicslade Tramway and wharf in the Forest of Dean which, coincidently, was also used for Bath stone. William Smith did build a tramway from the canal wharf at Tucking Mill to his quarry on Combe Down, the Mill at that time being used to cut the stone so there is a historical president although, in reality, the scheme was a financial disaster and it's not clear if Smith's tramway was ever brought in to use. Needless to say in my version of history the scheme was a great success with a dedicated stone works being built just off scene to prepare the high grade Oolitnic limestone.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I notice there's some cheeky narrow gauge on the stone wharf. Functional or cosmetic?  

Mark

I was going to ask the very same question.  But I guess loco haulage would be very unusual in such a situation.

Looks really nice Jerry, do you know when will it be out and about?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I was going to ask the very same question.  But I guess loco haulage would be very unusual in such a situation.

Looks really nice Jerry, do you know when will it be out and about?

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks Dave, it's making it's debut at Railex Aylesbury in May although I might take it to Yate at the end of the month where I'm demonstrating- depends on how much room I've got.

Jerry

• Like 1

Like that on Highbury it will be cosmetic, unless we get working 2mm horses in the near future. It's inspired by the Bicslade Tramway and wharf in the Forest of Dean which, coincidently, was also used for Bath stone. William Smith did build a tramway from the canal wharf at Tucking Mill to his quarry on Combe Down, the Mill at that time being used to cut the stone so there is a historical president although, in reality, the scheme was a financial disaster and it's not clear if Smith's tramway was ever brought in to use. Needless to say in my version of history the scheme was a great success with a dedicated stone works being built just off scene to prepare the high grade Oolitnic limestone.

Mr Greenwood's working horses not needed! Paul Styles once built a working 2mm scale/4mm gauge Simplex and skips which ran on to a jetty and back again. How did it work? Via an under-track sprung dolly on a wire loop powered by a slow-acting fixed electric motor. A upward projecting pin through a slot between the rails engaged with the Simplex and drew it along. If you don't believe me - I saw it work and photographed it!  

post-14107-0-75013700-1420297353.jpg

post-14107-0-08437800-1420297375.jpg

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 8

I've had similar problems in my experiments!

I ordered up various sizes of magnets from a seller on E-bay which are as cheap as chips - turns out they are in Melksham which is just up the road!

Jerry

IIRC there was one in Chippenham too?

Mr Greenwood's working horses not needed! Paul Styles once built a working 2mm scale/4mm gauge Simplex and skips which ran on to a jetty and back again. How did it work? Via an under-track sprung dolly on a wire loop powered by a slow-acting fixed electric motor. A upward projecting pin through a slot between the rails engaged with the Simplex and drew it along. If you don't believe me - I saw it work and photographed it!  

attachicon.gifPaul Styles - 4mm gauge Simplex on jetty.JPG

attachicon.gifPaul Styles - 4mm gauge Simplex on jetty, the mechanism.JPG

Wow!

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

I've just seen that you are on the list of layouts at Ally Pally for this year, when I'm up on the Saturday I may have to stop by with some friendly abuse banter :jester:

Kev

Hi Kevin we shouldn't be as we're not there till 2016 according to my diary but had better check when I get home.

Jerry

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I believe you will be bringing it to Rail-Ex Taunton. this year. I shall look forward to that.

Don

Thanks Don, that reminds me I must get the paperwork sent back.:-)

We also have a trip to Taunton with it in April for the members day.

John will also be at Rail-ex with Wenfordbridge.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

William Smith's Wharf is making steady progress. It had a full day of being played with as a demo at the recent, excellent Yate show and will be making its first trip out bolted to Tucking Mill at the Taunton members day.

The snaps below show an overall view, a mock up of the canal scene inspired by Monkton Combe and the control panel - such as it!

post-1074-0-94854800-1424022395_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-56890600-1424022468_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-36997800-1424023008_thumb.jpg

Jerry

post-1074-0-42273200-1424022013_thumb.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

and will be making its first trip out bolted to Tucking Mill at the Taunton members day.

Brilliant, will I be allowed too have a play?

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold

I like the canal bridge. I have walked and cycled under quite a few of those and yours captures the atmosphere of the real ones very well.

Thanks Andy, the shape and curve of these bridges is lovely. After numerous failed attempts to draw one I scanned a near head on photo then printed it off to 2mm. I then used it to make a template.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Is that actually a Roving Bridge?  A Roving bridge allowed the towpath (and thus the horse) to switch from one side of the canal to the other without stopping and unhitching the rope.

Dave.