Spokane Portland and Seattle Railway

alcoRS1

My lastest addition, I have decided that I will have the full roster for SP&S RS-1, which is 6 locos, will be doing the final 4 in the phase 2 paint.

I picked this Brass Alco models RS-1 for $90, I serviced the motor and it runs fine, it very well detailed and the guy in the shop says it was made in 1971, so it is as old as I am. now I need to find out how to paint it, I never painted brass before.

post-6841-12585936544292_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12585936565515_thumb.jpg

sorry, one day I will have good light in the garage, but it not high on my list of things todo.

With base coat on, and motor less, after frying 2 decoders, the old motor draw to much amps. I will either get an underneath motor (one built into the trucks, but somebody promised me an OMI one for free, so I will try that one first.

post-6841-12586792445159_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12586792463403_thumb.jpg

Here is my update

I have repainted my Alco S1 switch to SP&S #11.

post-6841-12593096738659_thumb.jpg

My brass Alco RS-1 is coming along nicely, I have it painted, most of the decals, kadee number 158 couplers, all I left to do is windows, lights, motor (I have an OMI one, but I want a DPT from NWSL, that way I will have the whole inside to do speakers for the soundtraxx Tsunami Alco 539T DCC sound controller. post-6841-12593096782062_thumb.jpg

some of the roster.

post-6841-1259309682863_thumb.jpg

as for the layout, I have be arranging some of the industries around, I want to finalize this week, so I can finish ballasting all the track.

Here are some shots from the redesign

right side, entry from hidden staging and oil/cement industries.

post-6841-12599122136538_thumb.jpg

Port bottom of the layout.

post-6841-12599122157802_thumb.jpg

Grain and port lead left side on the layout.

post-6841-12599122178789_thumb.jpg

Topside is the main industrial area.

post-6841-12599122197558_thumb.jpg

Not sure if you have checked it out yet but the GN & NP have created a joint archieve with a bunch of SP&S stuff too.

here is the link:

GN NP Link

if you look under BN station Plats and under SP&S they have a bunch in and around Vancouver and Portland.

Thanks I did not come across this, some great stuff there.

I am on a tight budget, and I want to add barges and boats to my port, so here is my first, made out of Evergreen styrene, and left over parts from other kits.

post-6841-1260485483843_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12604854859363_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12604854879354_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12604854899233_thumb.jpg

next to paint, detail, decal and weather.

SP&S Alco S1 switch switching a tank car at the port.

post-6841-12604854919382_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

...wish I had as much room as you for a layout!

Yes, the Sub-heading of "a small Industrial layout" does re-define what a lot of us think of as "small"... :D ;)

I love the painting and weathering on that barge; that has really brought it to life!! B)

Well done!

• Like 1

Yes, the Sub-heading of "a small Industrial layout" does re-define what a lot of us think of as "small"... :D ;)

I love the painting and weathering on that barge; that has really brought it to life!! B)

Well done!

I agree with Jordan - 10 feet is a big layout for me.

But I like what I see there :icon_thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Very nice, and the SP&S (albeit in early BN guise) was one of the draws for me to get into US modelling, i've since moved East across the mountains to a midwestern theme, but SP&S alco's still does it for me. If anyone made a C636 i'd find it hard to resist. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Loving that barge - anyone else notice the chequerplate "waves" biggrin.gif

• Like 1

Well done!

Where I live, it is classed as small, some people have 20ft+ layouts, one day I hope I will too. I made my layout so I have 3 separate sections, that can be ran independent, using trays. my small layout allows up to 4 people to run. I should post some more pics, not done much on the layout these last few weeks due to family being up to visit.

@Glorious NSE, I understand, there are so many places to model, I would love to do a modern day Pacific Harbor Lines, with BNSF and UP running into the port, but I would need more room to make the layout much bigger.

Where I live, it is classed as small, some people have 20ft+ layouts, one day I hope I will too.

Yes, it's our British perspective on it I'm afraid; we have 1/5th the population of the US, crammed into 1/38th the area... so everything here is on the small side, compared to over the Pond... layouts included. :(

I for one sincerely hope you get your 20ft+ layout, on condition that you share it with us here on RMweb... ;)

• Like 1

Yes, it's our British perspective on it I'm afraid; we have 1/5th the population of the US, crammed into 1/38th the area... so everything here is on the small side, compared to over the Pond... layouts included. :(

I for one sincerely hope you get your 20ft+ layout, on condition that you share it with us here on RMweb... ;)

of course I will share. BTW I am originally from Macclesfield Cheshire. I think the UK layouts I see on RMweb, are some of the best I have ever seen, putting most layouts I see in the US to shame, This is the main reason I became a member. I want to make my layout seem more real, and there is a lot of inspiration here, and very talented modelers.

Also in the UK, because of the size of the country, there are more model rail shows which is easier for more people to go and see. Here there are very few, in any local area.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a quick up date, I been working on my port, I picked up this shipping warehouse for $20 at the SPS society swap meet. this will make my port warehouse. As you can see it starting to take shape.

post-6841-12645719564835_thumb.jpg

view coming in across the bridge into the port, oil terminal is at this end, for ship refueling.

post-6841-12645719603462_thumb.jpg

view of a new addition of track, this is a port crane (missing the top piece, not painted yet), this will be used to load and unload goods supplies for shipment.

post-6841-12645719639706_thumb.jpg

view of SPS 11 Alco S1 in runaround track

post-6841-12645719676308_thumb.jpg

view of SPS 50 Alco RS-1 in port track, and in the back corner is my brass Alco RS-1 Number 53, painted, new in line power trucks and SoundTraxx Alco 539T with 28mmx28mmx15mm speaker, and yes it sound awesome, will be posting a little to youtube later, and better quality pictures, have to finsh the lens and glass, then it is complete, waiting on some Krystal Klear, I missed place mine.

post-6841-12645719718083_thumb.jpg

latest purchase, also found at the swap meet for a bargin, $50 with decoder, smooth running Altas/kato RS-3 Great northern.

Well here is the start of my Alco RS-1 Brass loco with powered inline trucks from NSWL

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=20955

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=20956

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=20957

with not central motor, there is lots and lots of room for a good size speaker, that I could never dream of fitting in a HO loco. very happy with the results.

Not finish yet, I still need to add windows and light lens, but I miss placed my Microscale Krystal Klear, and have to wait for a new one in the mail. I still have to customize and reprogram the decoder, with better start voltage, and teak the sounds for my liking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbpoJI9tmRc

Been working on the dock today, add the algae water line, wooden poles, and started to build the dock front.

post-6841-12650883709656_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12650883762096_thumb.jpg

I cannot add the water until I have complete the boats, which will take a few months. hopefully over the next few days I will be adding the dock yard floor, but I think I need to finish the back drops first.

it is starting to look like one of the small docks you see alone the Washington side of the Columbia River

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to pick up a small pilot tug for my port, here it is connected up to the refuel barge.

post-6841-1266125632419_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12661256365026_thumb.jpg

waiting for the 2 barges I have ordered, then my boats will be completed. Now I have to think of a name for the tug? hmm any ideas?

I managed to pick up a small pilot tug for my port, here it is connected up to the refuel barge.

post-6841-1266125632419_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12661256365026_thumb.jpg

waiting for the 2 barges I have ordered, then my boats will be completed. Now I have to think of a name for the tug? hmm any ideas?

I have one of those on my Shoebox layout - she is called "River Lady" How about "Harbor Queen"? "Lady Spokane"? "River Queen"?

Or just assign her a number "Spokane #7"

• Like 1