Photo Call! 2mm Layouts Out and About at Exhibitions

Pixie

Not exactly a layout, but still 2mm finescale ... flying the 2mm flag at Perth show this weekend were Alisdair, Alistair, Andy and Graham of the Forth and Clyde area group, supported on Sunday by Roy from the Grampian area group.

post-7032-0-69683800-1466974696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham R
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

The Aln Valley Railway, a heritage line in Northumberland, approached the 2mmSA North Eastern Area Group seeking a stand for their model railway exhibition this weekend. The NEAG had a prior booking but, ever keen to spread the 2mm gospel, suggested the Forth and Clyde group might help.

A trip abroad to a warm country! We jumped at the chance (Alnwick is less than 2 hours from Edinburgh by road, or 2½ hours from Glasgow by train and bicycle), and brought the Scottish 2mmSA roadshow as well as the core board of Sauchenford, operating it without fiddle yards as a shunting plank.

The Aln Valley made us most welcome and installed us in a BR Mk1 coach, with analogue sounds effects provided by their 0-6-0T "Richboro" operating steam rides from the adjacent platform. Here is Alistair playing trains with Alisdair in mid 2mm patter. (No, he's not having an argument: Glaswegians never argue from a seated position).

post-7032-0-11288900-1472991374_thumb.jpg

"Richboro" was apparently stuffed and mounted for a number of years outside the Dapol factory, so maybe it was appropriate we were running finescaled Dapol diesels on Sauchenford. Peeping over the road bridge, we see a class 26 propelling a rake of Stephen Harris 16T mineral empties down the colliery branch, while a class 27 waits for the Down home.

post-7032-0-86041000-1472991647_thumb.jpg

I suppose it should be termed a BRC&W Type 2, not a class 27, if in green. We were guilty of flagrantly mixing periods, and the locos and stock need to be weathered, but in truth (apart from Kielder Forest in EM and ourselves) it was not the most finescale of shows, so hopefully no-one minded too much. We had a nice day out and met several current and former Association members. Jim, Andy and Alistair are doing it all again today.

Graham

Edited by Graham R
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of photos from Steam @ Swindon.

First up an overall shot of John Greenwood's St. Blazey with a rather full round house :

post-12089-0-07530400-1474203049_thumb.jpg

Also a shot over the yard of St. Ruth showing the new Yard Crane built by John from an N Brass kit :

post-12089-0-50018900-1474203058_thumb.jpg

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend with many more fine layouts apart from the ones in the 2FS corner(s).

Ian

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple of photos from Steam @ Swindon.

First up an overall shot of John Greenwood's St. Blazey with a rather full round house :

attachicon.gifSt Blazey (RMweb).JPG

Also a shot over the yard of St. Ruth showing the new Yard Crane built by John from an N Brass kit :

attachicon.gifSt Ruth Yard (RMweb).JPG

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend with many more fine layouts apart from the ones in the 2FS corner(s).

Ian

Nice photos Ian. Some close up of the crane would be interesting it looks quite fine.

Don

Great photos - I could do with a crane like that but I can't see any reference on the N Brass website - do you have any more details? I've emailed with an enquiry.

Nick at N Brass had a small batch of the cranes at the recent N Gauge Show, and they sold out on the Saturday. More are on the way apparently. He's also produced a Highland Railway yard crane and a smaller GWR crane (1.5 ton I think). No details on the website yet, but they will be added in due course.

Andy

Nick at N Brass had a small batch of the cranes at the recent N Gauge Show, and they sold out on the Saturday. More are on the way apparently. He's also produced a Highland Railway yard crane and a smaller GWR crane (1.5 ton I think). No details on the website yet, but they will be added in due course.

Andy

Cheers - I'll look forward to a response to my email to then.

Edited by Adrian

Just to give credit where credit is due, the yard crane etch is the one Julia designed. She passed it on to Nick, and he rejigged the etch to make it more easy to construct by mere mortals.

I nabbed the last one at TINGS on the Saturday, but it's still sitting in my gloat box.

Mark A

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Did anyone get any pictures at yesterday's AGM that they can share with us?

Only managed a few of my layout and some interlopers as per here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/944/entry-18394-nearly-been-there-done-that-got-the-t-shirt/

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone get any pictures at yesterday's AGM that they can share with us?

Anthony Yeates was busy all day taking photos so these will no doubt appear on the website soon

a couple of camera phone pictures of Copenhagen Fields taken from the non public side 

post-1480-0-32905900-1476628043_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-92717200-1476628052_thumb.jpg

Nick

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give credit where credit is due, the yard crane etch is the one Julia designed. She passed it on to Nick, and he rejigged the etch to make it more easy to construct by mere mortals.

I nabbed the last one at TINGS on the Saturday, but it's still sitting in my gloat box.

Mark A

I'm just building the one I picked up at TINGS at the moment - it does go together nicely, especially considering the size of some of the bits, but DO read the instructions thoroughly first.

I don't think mine will look as good as the one on St Ruth though

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We were at the Wycrail show yesterday in High Wycombe and a very good show it was. A good mix of layouts was present and a decent amount of space to move about, without things feeling empty. Out of thirty odd layouts, Llangerisech was voted 2nd in the Best in Show. Which was nice.... After operating Wadebridge a few weeks ago, we approached this show with a slightly different tack and enjoyed ourselves with less stress as a result!

Cheers

Nigel

Looking great Nigel, I particularly like the Cambrian grouping around the shed. Also good to see the blue pullman getting a run out - we ran out of time at Uckfield - theres always next years AGM!

I'm intrigued which bit of the highly ordered and disciplined operating sequence we maintain on Wadebridge particularly influenced you :-))

Jerry 

I'm intrigued which bit of the highly ordered and disciplined operating sequence we maintain on Wadebridge particularly influenced you :-))

I think it was your laid-back West Country attitude to operating :-)

Previously we had been very focused on keeping things moving for the public but htis time we had the confidence to be a little more relaxed about things. The difference on the layout was subtle, just taking a breath or two between movements and allowing time for Nigel's skilled modelling speak for itself, but the difference to me as an operator was profound, perhaps because I had time to enjoy operating it. Hopefully the public picked up on that too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Previously we had been very focused on keeping things moving for the public but htis time we had the confidence to be a little more relaxed about things. The difference on the layout was subtle, just taking a breath or two between movements and allowing time for Nigel's skilled modelling speak for itself, but the difference to me as an operator was profound, perhaps because I had time to enjoy operating it. Hopefully the public picked up on that too.

One of us did ;)

• RMweb Gold

Seriously I think you make an important point here. Operating at a relaxed pace without the pressure of something moving all the time is a lot more enjoyable. That's not to say there should be lengthy gaps between movements but, as you say, a pause for breath is a good thing. It's not only more realistic but also gives spectators time to admire the modelling which, on layouts like John's and Nigel's where almost everything is scratch or kitbuilt is important. The quality of the modelling deserves that attention and I firmly believe modellers in them audience appreciate it.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Seriously I think you make an important point here. Operating at a relaxed pace without the pressure of something moving all the time is a lot more enjoyable. That's not to say there should be lengthy gaps between movements but, as you say, a pause for breath is a good thing. It's not only more realistic but also gives spectators time to admire the modelling which, on layouts like John's and Nigel's where almost everything is scratch or kitbuilt is important. The quality of the modelling deserves that attention and I firmly believe modellers in them audience appreciate it.

Jerry

Thanks for that Jerry,

I think it is partly down to the nature of a show with room to move, but also visitors expecting a good number of finescale layouts. Equally, having done a few minor cosmetic changes toning things down, I felt the layout now stands up to this sort of scrutiny for longer. Certainly the feedback at shows is increasingly positive and the number of "I must get round to doing this" jobs is getting smaller at each show. Wycrail had a pretty solid presence in front of the layout from show opening through til 4pm, so the viewing side was rarely empty.

We still have more signals to build to match the new control panel inspired by information from The Stationmaster, but the infrastructure is ready for them as they get added now. We will have to slow down our pace in order to check the route and signals now, so another reason to pace things. Someone in Ireland once said that they don't understand the Spanish concept of Manyana (sic) as it was way too much of a rush, but I think Dreckly takes things even further! We'll find a rural Welsh equivalent I'm sure.

Nigel

• Like 2

......... Someone in Ireland once said that they don't understand the Spanish concept of Manyana (sic) as it was way too much of a rush, but I think Dreckly takes things even further! We'll find a rural Welsh equivalent I'm sure.

The story goes of a Spaniard on holiday in Skye who asked a local fisherman if there was a gaelic equivalent to 'manyana', which drew the response 'No, - no -  we don't have a word which conveys quite that degree of urgency'!

Jim

• Like 1