Photo Call! 2mm Layouts Out and About at Exhibitions

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

That footage is great, Tom many thanks for posting it so quickly and also for helping out all weekend. I can't believe it was all filmed on your phone. I love the black and white stuff.

In best tradition I'm going to put some pictures of the many visitors we had on the layout over the weekend on the Tucking Mill thread. Would you mind if I put a link to the You-tube footage up over there or, better still, would you put one there - you know what I'm like with computers!!

many thanks Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Nice video Tom - I do like the speeded-up aerial view of the shunting!

Good to see the re-engineered 'Kimberley' running so well (and glad to hear that the full-size Kim is also back on her feet too).

Andy

Thanks Andy. 'Kimberley' has a new chassis - she is now an 0-6-0T. Kim has had a successful knee operation - both seem to be running in well!!

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Some more photos from the competition. I have no details on these (entries are not named to avoid influencing judges I think and I didn't recognise them)

post-8525-0-50824800-1413238943_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-60554700-1413239005_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-78181900-1413239028_thumb.jpg

I anyone knows who the builders are or other details please advise.

There was a lot more stuff but I didn't have much time as the AGM was about to start and others were viewing.

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Some more photos from the competition. I have no details on these (entries are not named to avoid influencing judges I think and I didn't recognise them

I anyone knows who the builders are or other details please advise.

There was a lot more stuff but I didn't have much time as the AGM was about to start and others were viewing.

Don

The horseboxes are the work of Rich Brummit, the Terrier is mine and the wagons are more of Ian Smith's excellent work

Jerry 

• RMweb Gold

Some shots of the layouts

post-8525-0-91423200-1413325283_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-39024400-1413325351_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-28162700-1413325353_thumb.jpg

Llangerisech by Nigel Ashton

post-8525-0-30929700-1413325355_thumb.jpg

Tucking Mill by Jerry

Sadly I stopped as the AGM was about to start and didn't have time to return for more of Tucking Mill and Freshwater.

Don

post-8525-0-36917900-1413324360_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-45716800-1413324362_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-48770400-1413324424_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been meaning to put these up since the AGM.

The Brighton Belle made an appearance, courtesy of Ian Morgan, and was obviously being given a shove as the North Somerset Light has never had the foresight to lay in third rail!

post-1074-0-64502200-1414966276_thumb.jpg

Ian Smith brought his beautiful, unfinished, GWR Metro tank with him and it ran as well as it looked.

post-1074-0-80064300-1414966302_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-25176100-1414966326_thumb.jpg

Not the best of shots but proof that a shay was spotted at Lambourne - don't let the so called experts tell you any different :no:

post-1074-0-74181000-1414966372_thumb.jpg

As well as a guest loco, there was a guest operator on Lambourne - Kim and Richard Wilson.

post-1074-0-96157800-1414966446_thumb.jpg

and finally, the weekend of the Farnham show was a significant birthday for me - this is what the family bought me. I'm a very lucky boy :imsohappy:

post-1074-0-76279100-1414967940_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos Jerry (and congrats on the significant birthday - that is a very nice milling machine).

Btw, that's Richard Wilson standing alongside Kim (there is quite a big clue on the front of his shirt... ;))

Andy

Thanks Andy, post amended - with Ian in the post I obviously had Smith on my mind!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. 'NCMR'.... Wasn't that an Iain Rice essay in 4mm scale? - Tregarrick and associated fiction.

Regards, Andy

Certainly was, John G and I both big fans of Tregarrick. The break van with the shay has a kaydee on one end and a DG on the other.

Jerry

I've discovered some slides that I took in the early 1980's showing a couple of 2mm scale layouts (and my own N gauge layout).  I have no idea where I took the photos (I suspect that it may have been at an Association event at Market Harborough as I think I only ever went to one 2mm event).  They are not particularly good images as they were taken without flash, and the depth of field is pretty poor.  But hopefully for your enjoyment I have digitised them (taking new photos of the projected slides).

John Greenwood's "Bodmine"

post-12089-0-59057000-1415288344_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-18801500-1415288355_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-41139400-1415288366_thumb.jpg

Nick Dearnaley's "Bollingrove" (I think it was Nick's layout)

post-12089-0-32353200-1415288378_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-66601100-1415288390_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-52745900-1415288401_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-65726300-1415288412_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Bollingrove certainly was Nick's. I remember well seeing it around then probably at Manchester. It was a lovely layout and the shunting was impressive. I also remember Bodmine at the Edgbaston meet as the D & G of DG couplings coupling /uncoupling was good on both. I seem to remember Nick explaining to me that the Midland 0-4-4t was borrowed possibly from Tim Watson. I also kept the relevant pages from Railway Modellers as both layouts featured in there.

Don

• RMweb Gold

A great find Ian. I was at that 2mm do, I think it was the first one I went to. There were even fewer 2mm layouts about then than there are now and these two were two of the flagships - Dearnley and Greenwood also giving us the coupling used by the majority o 2mm modellers

Bollingrove was indeed Nick's layout. The MR 0-6-0 was, I think, Mike Raithby's and the MR 0-4-4WT by Tim Watson. I remember Tim telling me that there weren't that many locos about and that these were well travelled appearing here as well as Gransmore Castle and Chiltern Green. It was layouts like these that really sold me on 2mm and I've never looked back. great stuff

Jerry

• Like 1

Bodmine was a smashing little layout. It is so nice to see it again. I don't think I ever saw Bollingrove but seeing Bodmine, at Manchester I think it was, was what first inspired me to join the 2mm Association at the time. (I just rejoined after a very long absence.)

Bodmine was a smashing little layout. It is so nice to see it again. I don't think I ever saw Bollingrove but seeing Bodmine, at Manchester I think it was, was what first inspired me to join the 2mm Association at the time. (I just rejoined after a very long absence.)

Can we expect some more whitemetal castings then? Or is that another Mr Hughes?

I have no idea where I took the photos (I suspect that it may have been at an Association event at Market Harborough as I think I only ever went to one 2mm event). 

Nice photos. I remember being at a 2mm do at Market Harborough where Bodmine was on show. I also remember being surprised to see one of the scenic boards jammed at a jaunty angle into the back of John's car afterwards. I don't think that boxing the thing up for transport had really caught on with John at that time.

Regards, Andy

Edited by D869

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos. I remember being at a 2mm do at Market Harborough where Bodmine was on show. I also remember being surprised to see one of the scenic boards jammed at a jaunty angle into the back of John's car afterwards. I don't think that boxing the thing up for transport had really caught on with John at that time.

Regards, Andy

Regards, Andy

It still hasn't - I think the best description of how Wenford or Wadebridge is loaded is 'in a pile'. To be fair its a pretty tight pile so there's not much chance of things moving around. With Wadebridge the pile is quite high so a strap is used to help keep it all in place.

Jerry

If you want to complain about a kit or want a refund, then that was somebody else entirely. ;) The casting equipment wore out long ago so no there won't be any more castings. 

That's a shame! The castings were always highly regarded by our late Geoff Balfour who was always a stickler for scale and quality. Anyway, welcome back to the fold.

• RMweb Gold

If you want to complain about a kit or want a refund, then that was somebody else entirely. ;) The casting equipment wore out long ago so no there won't be any more castings. 

You did the columns for  Bath roof for me many years ago - the roof is nearly ready for them.

Whilst the casting equipment may be worn out, what about the masters? I was a big fan of your wagon kits in particular and many of them feature on Highbury and Tucking Mill.

Now you have rejoined the association are you building anything. Judging by the old range you were interested in pre-group.

Jerry

That's a shame! The castings were always highly regarded by our late Geoff Balfour who was always a stickler for scale and quality. Anyway, welcome back to the fold.

That is very pleasing to hear. Geoff was an excellent modeler. I recall seeing his GE 2-4-2T develop over successive Association events, it was beautifully modeled

You did the columns for  Bath roof for me many years ago - the roof is nearly ready for them.

Whilst the casting equipment may be worn out, what about the masters? I was a big fan of your wagon kits in particular and many of them feature on Highbury and Tucking Mill.

Now you have rejoined the association are you building anything. Judging by the old range you were interested in pre-group.

Jerry

I hope you have enough columns, I won't be able to make any spares.

The masters are long gone too. Quite a lot of them got damaged making the moulds, one of the problems of trying to get them as close to scale as possible was they were susceptible to damage in the press. Usually the mould would be fine but bits would come off the patterns when you got them out. The moulds would only have worked in my machine as it wasn't a standard whitemetal casting machine but one I largely made myself. My moulds were rectangular rather than the round ones usually used for whitemetal casting. Practically all the masters would have needed work to make them usable again and the way techniques have developed over the years there didn't seem a lot of point in putting in the effort for something that was a bit of an outdated means of making wagons. I didn't really think they would be any use to anyone else and I didn't plan on using them again. Keeping them would have been more out of nostalgia than practicality. To be honest, after 20 years of tipping white metal into that casting machine I was pretty much sick of the sight of them too.

I only rejoined last week. I have recently started a continental TT layout but talking to the 2mm Scale Association people at the Aberdeen show a couple of weeks ago (Thought I'd better mention that just to keep the thread almost on topic) got me thinking of building something in 2mm again. Things have moved on since I was a member and if you wanted to build a smallish loco you started out by building the motor. That is why there weren't many pre-group locos about in those days, as you mentioned earlier. I have started on a rake of GNoSR 6-wheelers and have been looking for suitable subjects for a layout. I am thinking of somewhere on the Speyside line around the turn of the 20th Century.  Something small that won't take too long to build and can fit in the back of the car if it ever gets invited to shows. At the moment I am favouring Cromdale, as to scale it fits perfectly on two 4' boards and has the distillery branch for a bit of extra interest. We shall see.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I hope you have enough columns, I won't be able to make any spares.

The masters are long gone too. Quite a lot of them got damaged making the moulds, one of the problems of trying to get them as close to scale as possible was they were susceptible to damage in the press. Usually the mould would be fine but bits would come off the patterns when you got them out. The moulds would only have worked in my machine as it wasn't a standard whitemetal casting machine but one I largely made myself. My moulds were rectangular rather than the round ones usually used for whitemetal casting. Practically all the masters would have needed work to make them usable again and the way techniques have developed over the years there didn't seem a lot of point in putting in the effort for something that was a bit of an outdated means of making wagons. I didn't really think they would be any use to anyone else and I didn't plan on using them again. Keeping them would have been more out of nostalgia than practicality. To be honest, after 20 years of tipping white metal into that casting machine I was pretty much sick of the sight of them too.

I only rejoined last week. I have recently started a continental TT layout but talking to the 2mm Scale Association people at the Aberdeen show a couple of weeks ago (Thought I'd better mention that just to keep the thread almost on topic) got me thinking of building something in 2mm again. Things have moved on since I was a member and if you wanted to build a smallish loco you started out by building the motor. That is why there weren't many pre-group locos about in those days, as you mentioned earlier. I have started on a rake of GNoSR 6-wheelers and have been looking for suitable subjects for a layout. I am thinking of somewhere on the Speyside line around the turn of the 20th Century.  Something small that won't take too long to build and can fit in the back of the car if it ever gets invited to shows. At the moment I am favouring Cromdale, as to scale it fits perfectly on two 4' boards and has the distillery branch for a bit of extra interest. We shall see.

I do have enough columns with a few spares although I could, at a push, use one of them as a master. The roof build can be found here, there is a picture of the columns on page 4 - it doesn't get much more exciting!!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52798-bath-queen-square/page-3

I've built most of the wagons in the range and really liked them. I still have a few of the wagon kits in stock including probably my favourite which was the LSWR cattle wagon which was all but identical to the SDJR one - see

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38581-highbury-colliery/?p=490083

I can understand why you are not interested in doing more. Twenty years of tipping white metal would do it for me too!

Great to see you back in the Association and I look forward to seeing another pre-group layout.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare