Bachmann announce J11

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Tony.... I was sure I had seen an LNER one with Robinson fittings but must have been mistaken (not the first time!)  Ah well, I know Alan Gibson do cast brass Robinson bits so I guess I'll put a call into them when the time comes. 

I recall getting excited at seeing one with a Robinson chimney so you are not alone.

There were three versions in the display case at one point and I am sure there were two with "flowerpots" and one with the Robinson variety. The one with the Robinson chimney was for an early LNER livery version.

Plus there is the "phantom" GCR liveried version, which appeared on the website then went again. Was it a model that got "accidentally" photographed and released onto the web prematurely? Methinks that is a good probability as Bachmann have the lettering and lining for their GCR 2-8-0.

Here's hoping......

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Having a look at some of the reviews in the mags, it seems that the reaction to the J11 is highly favourable.

Has anybody else spotted the slight blooper in one of the reviews? The coal can be removed to show the operating gear for the water scoop, not a fire iron tunnel. Fire irons were kept on the U shaped bracket on the front LHS on the tender, often with the loop of the fire iron handle over the bracket so that it couldn't go anywhere.

I do think it looks lovely and really captures the look of a J11 very well indeed.

Nice one Bachmann and hurry up with the early version please. I have 4 J11s already but that one is too nice to allow it to pass me by.

Tony

I heard today that Bachmann are shipping the first arrival J11s after their Christmas break.

Stan

The Bachmann site is now showing the first version (BR early) as in stock, so dealers should be receiving them any day now. The downside is that the other two versions now have a arrival date of Feb/March.

• RMweb Premium

Here I am trying to resist one, just too much stock already, but....

Stewart

Stewart,

You know resistance is futile And, You are not alone. (In having too much stock already)

Regards,

John

Edit to clarify ( - )

or Southport and west Derby on the CLC north Liverpool extension.

It is true that Pom-Poms ran on the CLC (because I saw them!), but I'm not so sure that they were shedded on CLC engine sheds in BR days, which might seem to be an odd thing to say, but ...

On nationalisation it would appear that the details of the CLC were not yet dealt with and so, for the first fortnight, the former LNER organisation continued, then the CLC was transferred to LMR Western Division. In that fortnight almost all LNER Group Standard locos (excepting two J39s) were transferred to ER sheds as were the Pom-Poms and 04s but the smaller J10s stayed. In exchange, so to speak, ER transferred in as many of the old knackered GCR engines as they could lay their hands on. LMR promptly scrapped these and replaced them with 3F and 4F engines and later the Stanier 8F. I'm pretty sure that there weren't any J11s on Western Div until Gorton (40A) became 9G on changes to regional boundaries in 1958. Notwithstanding this 40A and 40B (Darnall) J11s could be seen on the CLC.

I would be interested if others would like to add anything, my memory is far from being what it was!

Regards

Archived