Bachmann announce J11

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

GCR version is out as a Collector's Club limited edition of 504 units.

Photos appear in the latest Bachmann magazine and it looks simply stunning.

I was going to resist but simply couldn't so an order is going in. I hope I am in time and don't miss out..

It has a proper Robinson chimney and dome and the original 4 column safety valves and the livery looks just beautiful.

I can imagine there being a bit of a race to get hold of them and I really hope that Bachmann will end up putting it on general release later.

Tony

GCR version is out as a Collector's Club limited edition of 504 units.

Photos appear in the latest Bachmann magazine and it looks simply stunning.

I was going to resist but simply couldn't so an order is going in. I hope I am in time and don't miss out..

It has a proper Robinson chimney and dome and the original 4 column safety valves and the livery looks just beautiful.

I can imagine there being a bit of a race to get hold of them and I really hope that Bachmann will end up putting it on general release later.

Tony

Hi Tony,

There are some superb photos by Andy under the Collectors Club thread which may whet your appetite!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony,

There are some superb photos by Andy under the Collectors Club thread which may whet your appetite!

As a GCR modeller my involvement with RTR manufacturers is distinctly limited so I wasn't familiar with the other thread.

Isn't it just lovely.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Just spoke to Bachmann. The GCR livery 9J (or J11 to you and me!) will be shipping out to customers starting tomorrow (Thurs 6th March). Sales are strong with just over half sold so far.

Tony

This has got to be good news for the model rail world in general...and for Bachmann in particular.

I ordered a 9j from the collectors club almost as soon as the mag hit the door mat.

It seems to be the way of Bachmann locos nowadays that it is not only stunning to look at but also a very nice runner.

Mine has been on the rolling road but not fully run in yet but it ran wonderfully smoothly. Im looking forward to completing the running in and putting a nice lenz chip into it. It will look so nice next to my Butler - Henderson loco.

• RMweb Premium

My GCR version arrived on Friday and I have had it on my stand at Nottingham show this weekend, where it created a great deal of interest, mostly of the "Where can I get one?" Variety.

Mine had the chimney placed right at the front of the smokebox and this isn't right for the original GC condition. Robinson put his chimneys in the middle of the smokebox, where they looked best.

It was only lightly glued on and came away easily and I was pleased to see that the chimney fixing is reversable. The hole in the smokebox is oval and there are two sets of slots for lugs on the chimney base to go in.

So simply turning the chimney 180 degrees corrected the problem and made a huge difference to the appearance.

I can't see much else that I would want to change apart from the gauge (to EM) and perhaps painting the tender interior into the red colour used by the GCR. Brass plates would guild the lily. The livery and lettering are just superb but sadly, they make my efforts on a couple of kits built ones look very poor.

That is one seriously good looking loco and congratulations to Bachmann and to John Quick for his involvement in the production of it.

Tony

Have to agree with all the positive comments I have a LNER version. It runs beautifully. Easily controllable, it will mean I have to turn the start voltage down on the Bachman 21 pin decoder as it could start slower than what it is set for currently. I think the tender pickups are an excellent move on Bachmann's design.

Well done Bachman

My GCR version arrived on Friday and I have had it on my stand at Nottingham show this weekend, where it created a great deal of interest, mostly of the "Where can I get one?" Variety.

Mine had the chimney placed right at the front of the smokebox and this isn't right for the original GC condition. Robinson put his chimneys in the middle of the smokebox, where they looked best.

It was only lightly glued on and came away easily and I was pleased to see that the chimney fixing is reversable. The hole in the smokebox is oval and there are two sets of slots for lugs on the chimney base to go in.

So simply turning the chimney 180 degrees corrected the problem and made a huge difference to the appearance.

I can't see much else that I would want to change apart from the gauge (to EM) and perhaps painting the tender interior into the red colour used by the GCR. Brass plates would guild the lily. The livery and lettering are just superb but sadly, they make my efforts on a couple of kits built ones look very poor.

That is one seriously good looking loco and congratulations to Bachmann and to John Quick for his involvement in the production of it.

Tony

I believe the position of the chimney is correct for the loco in it's superheated condition, which I think the model generally depicts. There's a photo of 316 on page 55 of Johnson's "Locomotives of the Great Central Railway" Volume 1 and it appears to show the chimney mounted right forward. There's also a near broadside view of No.307 on page 50 which also shows the chimney mounted forward on the smokebox. That might be a characteristic of the locos when they were superheated during WW1? :scratchhead:

Hope that helps,

Mike. :)

• RMweb Premium

I believe the position of the chimney is correct for the loco in it's superheated condition, which I think the model generally depicts. There's a photo of 316 on page 55 of Johnson's "Locomotives of the Great Central Railway" Volume 1 and it appears to show the chimney mounted right forward. There's also a near broadside view of No.307 on page 50 which also shows the chimney mounted forward on the smokebox. That might be a characteristic of the locos when they were superheated during WW1? :scratchhead:

Hope that helps,

You are quite right and thanks for pointing it out.

I should have clarified that when I mentioned original GCR condition I meant "as built" without the superheater.

I wouldn't like to think of people taking their chimneys off and putting them back on in the wrong place if they are happy with the loco in later condition so should have mentioned it.

Perhaps it is just me but moving the chimney back makes the loco look even better than it did before.

Cheers,

Tony

• RMweb Premium

The real J11 had 14 spoke wheels. Bachmann must have used a 'stock' wheel as it has 15 spokes. I wouldn't have noticed but for browsing Markits catalogue for wheels for a LYR 0-6-0.

Well spotted!

I have been giving some thought as to converting to EM using either the original wheels or some that I have in stock from Alan Gibson or Mike Sharman.

Your "spot" has made up my mind and it will get new ones now. I probably wouldn't have noticed but now that I know, it will bother me until I put it right. Sad but that us just how I am!

Mine hasn't been unpacked after Nottingham show yet so I can't check but how did they do with the tender? The GCR used 13 spoke wheels on that and not many folk pick up on it and they are not widely available.

Tony

You are quite right and thanks for pointing it out.

I should have clarified that when I mentioned original GCR condition I meant "as built" without the superheater.

I wouldn't like to think of people taking their chimneys off and putting them back on in the wrong place if they are happy with the loco in later condition so should have mentioned it.

Perhaps it is just me but moving the chimney back makes the loco look even better than it did before.

Cheers,

Tony

Your welcome!

I wonder if anyone has contemplated raising the boiler and shortening the mountings to create one with piston valves?

Yes - I am currently working on one. Involves a few parts from a spare Bachmann J39 body. Thinking of having an etched overlay developed for the cab front. Pictures to follow when I have something more appealing to view than a partially disassembled Bachmann J11.

• RMweb Premium

Presumably if it was a Hornby model we would be up to 15 pages of slagging them off for getting it wrong.

Are you saying that we should be slagging this one off more and that the only reason we haven't is because it is by Bachmann?

Even RMwebbers would struggle to whinge for 15 pages over an extra spoke in a driving wheel that it took a real eagle eye and a bit of a fluke to notice!

I understand what you say about Hornby bashing, which I have commented on myself from time to time as I think that there are people who seem to want to have a go at Hornby over anything and everything.

But on this model, there is very little that anybody could find to moan about.

It is, quite simply, a lovely model loco and in my (admittedly biased) view, I think it is just about the best looking RTR model I have ever seen.

Tony

The real J11 had 14 spoke wheels. Bachmann must have used a 'stock' wheel as it has 15 spokes. I wouldn't have noticed but for browsing Markits catalogue for wheels for a LYR 0-6-0.

I've just taken a look at the online LNER Encyclopedia and copied this photo from there.

j11_works.jpg

It looks to me as if 15 spoke driving wheels were fitted to that loco and almost certainly to other J11s.

HTH,

Stan

• RMweb Premium

I've just taken a look at the online LNER Encyclopedia and copied this photo from there.

j11_works.jpg

It looks to me as if 15 spoke driving wheels were fitted to that loco and almost certainly to other J11s.

HTH,

Stan

Just looked at the photo of 316 and yes, it has 15 spokes in the driving wheels.

All the photos of J11s that I have just looked at appear to be the same, so fair play to Bachmann, even that detail is right.

I am not sure where Markits got 14 spokes from, as mentioned by Mr Coachmann but I wonder if it they are down as that in Mike Sharman's book. I don't have a copy to hand but I do know that it has a few errors and maybe this is one of them that Markits have picked up on, or maybe the error is theirs.

I have had a look at Markits lists and it is wrong about the J10 too, as well as the 5' 3" wheel listed for the D8, which had 6' 9 1/2" wheels, so they are not very accurate!

I don't know how they do such things but at least we now know that 15 spokes is the correct number.

Many thanks Stan for checking that out and posting to put us right.

Back to my internal debate about changing the wheels now......

Tony

Two photos in E M Johnson's book 'Locomotives of the Great Central Railway Vol. 1' show J11's with 14 spoke drivers, however, two other photos show 15 spoke wheels. It is not a detailed book by any means and so finding out if they came from particular batches is research for another day.

Archived