• RMweb Gold

I'm looking to make a start on designing a few 3d prints for the layout,

At uni I was pretty proficient on Solidworks (would have been which ever version was current in 2006/07), but knowing how much that package costs, I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheaper programs that have a similar user interface.

Any recommendations?

• RMweb Gold

I have downloaded Blender, but to be honest the interface is just to far from what I am used to. At the moment I dont really have the time to be completely starting from scratch when

123d on the other hand looks promising from the quick video, along the lines of what Im used to. Currently downloading it so will have a better play tomorrow.

As for what I am planning to do with it, There are a few bits and pieces for locos that I fancy a crack at, in particular I can see myself having a go at making boilers and fireboxes, but the key thing is the decorative fascia castings for Cheddar's buildings

Alibre design is pretty similar to Solidworks, but it's still not exactly cheap. There is a 'Personal Edition' for £99, but I don't know what features that has, or doesn't have.

I think if 123d doesnt do the job, saving for Alibre will be the only option. It does look very similar to the version of Solidworks I am used to...

I suggest you have a look at ViaCAD. It has a good set of solid modelling tools, unlike most of the apps that have been suggested most of which are surface modellers. These are OK what you need for organic shapes, but are of less use for railway equipment, which tends to be built of solid plates and cylinders.

Archived