Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Alan Francis Pegler OBE FRSA

ngtrains.com

• RMweb Gold

It is with great sadness that we report that Alan Francis Pegler passed away this morning, Sunday 18th March 2012, after a short illness. He was 91.

It was Alan's intervention that made the restoration of the Ffestiniog Railway a possibility, from which the initial funds needed to transfer ownership of the FR to the current administration were provided. Alan was President of both the Ffestiniog Railway Society and the Festiniog Railway Company.

Alan was awarded an OBE in the New Year Honours List in 2006.

The Society sends sincere condolences to Petrina Derrington and his family.

Funeral arrangements will be circulated when known.

Roger Schofield

Secretary

Ffestiniog Railway Society

Guest Belgian

A great man and true Gentleman, surely the real founder of the great railway preservation movement which keeps our history alive today. I had the privilege to meet him on a number of occasions and he was always smiling and extremely knowledgeable about all that was happening on the railway scene. Without him the NRM wouldn't have the 'most famous steam locomotive in the World'. It - and the whole preservation movement - will be a fitting monument to him and legacy from him. We'll never forget you Alan, nor be able to thank you enough. Rest in peace.

The loss of Alan is a loss to the everyone as well as the preservation movement. Without his example and tenacity there would be only memories rather than living reminders of the past - his work assured the future for those who would have never known the smell or sight of steam.

A true gentleman and friend to our heritage-Alan, I thank you.

Tim

This is sad news. I will always remember something he said in the film 4472 in describing how the water treatment briquettes work. Many times in my working life I have ended an explanation of how something is supposed to work with "at least that's the theory".

Cheers

David

Fortunatley many Railway (and Model) enthusiasts leave us with tangible things that we can remember them by.

I think that his lasting legacy in addition to FR will be the mainline steam trains - an example is that on most days during the summer there are steam trains going through York. His exclusive with 4472 was the thin end of the wedge to getting what we have now.

As engine men we should give him one minute blast on the whistle.

• 2 weeks later...

60163 Tornado ran on the 29th March with a wreath for Alan Pegler, and a wreath for Malcolm Crawley. Both men who have in many ways, helped shaped the present we have now.

Who, in 1964, would have thought we'd still have steam on the mainline in 2012...and who indeed, would have thought a brand new Peppercorn A1 would be part of that scene in 2012.

A lasting and appropriate tribute.

I've been away from the site for a short while - hadn't realised the great man, Mr. Peglar had passed away. May I too offer my condolences to his friends and family, also to the family and friends of Malcolm Crawley. We have so much to be grateful for - thank you, gentlemen.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived