Documentary: ECML in the early Nineties

I've come across this video on YouTube which I thought might be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFlV7TCUI8

There's a second part too. Some really interesting discussions and behind-the-scenes views of the then-new 225 sets, the problems faced with "the wrong kind of snow", and attitudes of railwaymen towards British Rail management in the run up to privatisation. There's also an interesting segment in the second part with a Class 47-hauled Mk4 set on the Yorkshire Pullman! A very revealing insight into the time and interesting comparison with the current state of the railways.

Arp

On the second video when the driver reveals what he takes home, it reminds me when I'm at work today talking to some of the long service staff who served under BR how poor the wages were. Staff having to work 7 day weeks to take home a decent amount of pay.....

On the second video when the driver reveals what he takes home, it reminds me when I'm at work today talking to some of the long service staff who served under BR how poor the wages were. Staff having to work 7 day weeks to take home a decent amount of pay.....

The pay was not fantastic but at least it was regular!

Mark Saunders

brilliant I remember seeing this when it was on telly first time. great to see it again. its funny how so many things are still the same today and in some cases got worse. that uniform was great best we ever had.

thanks for shareing this

I don't suppose there'd be quite the number of people applying for trainee driver positions these days had the wages remained the same as they were then. There are people in the job now who wouldn't have dreamed of doing it back in BR days and some of them will never be railwaymen as long as they live. It was better back then but, on balance, I probably wouldn't go back to it if I had to accept the wages that went with the conditions.

Amazing how things change over a couple of decades.

This is a fascinating documentry. Thanks for uploading it.

I am always astounded by how much better older documentries are, I mean these days they do an introduction, start, pre adverts cliffhanger, post adverts catchup, cliffhanger resolution, middle, pre adverts cliffhanger, post adverts catchup, cliffhanger resolution, end, conclusion (which is very similar to the introduction)!

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know a 47 hauling a Mk4 set in service was possible - it certainly wouldn't happen today!

That was the beauty of the IC225 programme, because of the design requirement for Class91s to haul Mk3 sleeper trains on the new ECML, they were built to work with standard loco haulled Mk3 (& presumably the air con Mk2s) stock. Therefore it follows that the Mk4 stock - loco interface is also of the standard BR loco haulled type (as oposed to the HST sets which have bespoke ETS connections). In fact the TDM is probably the only 'class 91' specific connection fitted.

Archived