Site hack - now overcome.

Guest Natalie Graham

There was an issue where readers of most topics were redirected to a website set up by some left-wing activists (the sort who think it's fun to compromise the sites of public bodies). It didn't help that I was out at the time so didn't have access to all my usual facilities.

Not so much left-wing activists but religious nutjobs if you follow up to their JAH Publications website. (Cached page so as not to give them the satisfaction of extra vistors.)

I never got redirected anywhere, just got the page stuck tryng to load on the first post on any page I tried to view with no text in the post. I thought I had broken the website so I logged off quick.

Andy, I forgot to add to my earlier post that if there is anything to do with an American organisation/website/base then the FBI would be interested to hear. If you go to the main FBI website you'll find a series of links to offices concerned with cyber-crime by area of the World. The office concerned with UK victim support is at the US Embassy in London.

Of course you've also realized that there are probably a couple of numbskulls even on this site that consider the FBI as enemy...

Best, Pete.

Andy,

Many thanks for all of your hard work (and those working with you)!

Thanks, too, for being open and keeping us readers/members in the picture over the problems!

This morning (11.00 - 11.50 BST) the forum seems to be working in a random one out of three modes:-

near-instantaneous connection to the desired page, or

dead slow, probably stopped, or

SQL error notificaytion.

When it's working, it is most impressively fast!

Richard.

Thanks for sorting it so quickly Andy. Have to admit to being clueless when it comes to computerese so couldn't even understand the message that was coming through when I tried to access the site, let alone the current discussion.

Need to tell you though that I'm still suffering from the effects of RMWeb withdrawal; the outage hit in the middle of the afternoon here, right in the middle of my computer primetime...

Regards,

Rob.

That's a great site, apparently you can survive the end of the world by sending them £50 in cash only...

Although I'm probably as annoyed as anyone for their hijacking of our site, the wackiness of its content has at least brightened up my morning with a good chuckle. Their particular brand of 'religiousity' gives the rest of us a bad name.

However, it's nice of them to have a PO Box address on their website, I wonder if they'd like a few bricks in the post?

• RMweb Gold

I got redirected to some website called 'Jerks for Justice' or some such. All about the evils of Merchant Bankers? :huh:

I mean, we all have our opinions about 'bankers' but who is going to be sympathetic with a bunch of hypocritical cyber thugs spoiling peoples enjoyment on their favourite web forums?

Looks like the Jerks themselves have just joined the ranks of Merchant *ankers....

• RMweb Premium

I never got re-routed anywhere. I did notice intermittent delays (over the past week or so) some very long that resulted in an SQL message that blamed my IP.....with the benefit of hindsight I now realize that the delays only affected RMWeb - to be honest I got used to them.....I guess that I assumed some work was being done.

I also noticed only a variety of SQL errors and eventually the "offline for maintenance" message, but did not hear about the re-routing hack until Andy opened this thread.

• RMweb Premium

That's a great site, apparently you can survive the end of the world by sending them £50 in cash only...

Although I'm probably as annoyed as anyone for their hijacking of our site, the wackiness of its content has at least brightened up my morning with a good chuckle. Their particular brand of 'religiousity' gives the rest of us a bad name.

However, it's nice of them to have a PO Box address on their website, I wonder if they'd like a few bricks in the post?

As long as you forget to put a stamp on it. ;)

I also just made a post in the Eastwood Town thread and when I hit post Post just got gibberish showing (only my latest posting NOT the rest of the thread) but then hitting VNC and re-entering the ET thread showed my post to be OK. Weird.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I also just made a post in the Eastwood Town thread and when I hit post Post just got gibberish showing (only my latest posting NOT the rest of the thread) but then hitting VNC and re-entering the ET thread showed my post to be OK. Weird.

Best, Pete.

Timed out loading the CSS* so it didn't display correctly, until you refreshed.

hth

* A bit of the software which controls how things are displayed.

Guest Natalie Graham

I also just made a post in the Eastwood Town thread and when I hit post Post just got gibberish showing (only my latest posting NOT the rest of the thread)

Oh I don't know, I didn't think it was that bad. :P

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

Now there's very interesting because I have had exactly the same thing on a couple of occasions recently (not in that thread as it happens) so I wonder if is anything to do with Safari?

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't be so sure that these hackers didn't get at the membership database. I've received two emails (in my spam folder) tonight from anonymous@anonymous.net entitiled "Declaration of Revolution" - encouraging people to occupy the Houses of Parliament and Congress on certain dates, and directing one to the "nazi bankers" site for further details.

Same email address I have registered here. No damage done at this end, but it might be worth checking your spam folders, and the membership database.

• RMweb Gold

Just checked as John B suggested and found two emails from anonymous. Spamguard had sent one to the spam filter but the other one was in the Inbox.

Tony

Sorry, the no need to notify crossed with my posting.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I wouldn't be so sure that these hackers didn't get at the membership database. I've received two emails (in my spam folder) tonight from anonymous@anonymous.net entitiled "Declaration of Revolution" - encouraging people to occupy the Houses of Parliament and Congress on certain dates, and directing one to the "nazi bankers" site for further details.

Same email address I have registered here. No damage done at this end, but it might be worth checking your spam folders, and the membership database.

Yup, a couple from same in my 'Junk' folder, thought it might be coincidence until reading this.

Regards, Gerry.

I too have had emails from Anonymous@anonymous.net which suggests that they have harvested the RMWeb databse.

My day job is in Information Security and given this spam I would recommend that people change their RMWeb password plus any other logins that use the same password.

Dave

Archived