Finsbury Park TMD

Im going to have a go at scanning the copy in small parts to make templates up to work from whilst constructing it, when I can fathom how to upload pics that are not massive Mb files to this site then I will take a photo of the plans that I have to give you an idea.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

That is going to be one massive model building. Hanging Hill is big enough at 28 inches by 12 1/2 inches to take on and off the layout for track maintainance and for transporting to and from shows. Finsbury Park is another 1/3rd longer and wider :O

I look forward to seeing the construction when it commences.

Hi Clive,

It sure is a big building, I will not have the problem of transporting it anywhere so it will probably be constructed with a removeable roof to gain access to track, lighting etc for maintenance. I will construct the office buildings so thay can detach, all being well should start construction in the new year. Will put pics up in due course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Its been a while since I last posted as Ive been busy decorating every weekend and also had a few turns on the NNR as second man on the 31 and 25 we have, so finally today I have had a go at starting the depot building. Its a bit hit and miss but the first attempt to do the front has resulted in this effort so far.

post-14680-0-95961500-1362336838_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks, its a bit flimsy at the moment as its just the glazing with the bars but as I add some of the framework behind it, it should strengthen up.

Forgot to add to last post that Im going P4 route with trackwork as the plans are virtually coming up at the gauge spacing for P4, I was originally going to do OO-SF but then thought about EM before going P4 and as I will be totally reworking all my engines then I might as well change the wheelsets as I complete each one anyway so more work to take on.

P4... it makes sense, and if you're building all your trackwork and rewheeling everything then why not go as true-to-scale as possible. I'll get my coat before I get EM nobbled

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ian,

Ive made a start on some trackwork and hopefully will get some pictures up over the easter weekend after I get a bit more done, I also need to get some P4 wheel sets so I can try out a loco before ballasting the track as ive got some wiring in as well.

Bit of a long shot, But does anyone off the top of their head know how many pillars there were supporting a road inside the depot at all? I know it may be impossible to answer but you never know, ive tried counting them from pictures in the book and have a rough idea but it would be nice to get a more accurate number. Im still after pictures as well if anyone has any.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a long shot, But does anyone off the top of their head know how many pillars there were supporting a road inside the depot at all? I know it may be impossible to answer but you never know, ive tried counting them from pictures in the book and have a rough idea but it would be nice to get a more accurate number. Im still after pictures as well if anyone has any.

Many thanks.

Hi Ian

The bottom of page 69 of the FP book shows a Deltic bogie being worked on. The centre wheel is directly above a pillar, the next pillar looks like it lines up with one of the springs, this dimension would give you the space between each pillar. From there the number for each road could be worked out.

Thanks Ian,

Ive made a start on some trackwork and hopefully will get some pictures up over the easter weekend after I get a bit more done, I also need to get some P4 wheel sets so I can try out a loco before ballasting the track as ive got some wiring in as well.

Many thanks.

Hi Ian

All my FP files are at work including my scrapbook, which has the number of pillers in it, see p25 for a drawing of one of the pillars - this drawing is from the electrical re-vamp of 79. 

I will dig out the number of pillars and let you know tomorrow.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

Just seen your thread and great to see you are taking on the challenge.  I am modelling Tinsley depot and have completed most of my intended project.  I have because of space restrictions only modelled two thirds of the depot building.  I had a track plan of the yard and numerous photos together with a book by Phil Hodgkiss, a fitter at Tinsley until it closed down, but did not have the plans of the depot buildings like you.  I wish I had as my model is an approximation at best. 

What did you use for the glazing on the front entrance?  It looks great.  I had to make do with pencilling acetate for all the glass sections.

I will try to add some images but have had problems before using URLs.

How is the layout going so far?

Alistair.

Hi Alistair,

I used clear sheet which was shaped to the front of the depot building, then applied 1mm strips all cut to length and glued on to it. It was made easier having a copy of the plan underneath.

I have made a little more progress but am awaiting some parts then will update the post accordingly once that's done.

Would be good to see photos of your depot.

Ian.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

G'Day Gents

Good luck with your Finsbury Park TMD, I was a secondman at Kings Cross during the 1970's, and travelled out to Finsbury Park on many occastions to drop off or collect locos, in those days we never called Finsbury Park TMD, Finsbury Park, to footplate crews it was always...Clarence Yard, if we were told to go to Finsbury Park, they would have found us waiting on the platform, or in the small mess room on platform one !!

I have also been on 'Engine Movements' at Clarence yard, not a bad job, but it did involve an lot of walking, to move a loco from the fuel point to the shed, would take at least 15 minutes, the loco crew would use the shunters mess room, by the main fuel tanks (brown wooden shed) as it was a lot closer to the fuel point than the general mess room in the main building.

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

Good luck with your Finsbury Park TMD, I was a secondman at Kings Cross during the 1970's, and travelled out to Finsbury Park on many occastions to drop off or collect locos, in those days we never called Finsbury Park TMD, Finsbury Park, to footplate crews it was always...Clarence Yard, if we were told to go to Finsbury Park, they would have found us waiting on the platform, or in the small mess room on platform one !!

I have also been on 'Engine Movements' at Clarence yard, not a bad job, but it did involve an lot of walking, to move a loco from the fuel point to the shed, would take at least 15 minutes, the loco crew would use the shunters mess room, by the main fuel tanks (brown wooden shed) as it was a lot closer to the fuel point than the general mess room in the main building.

manna

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear from people who worked at the depot, I've had a couple of drivers recently tell me about visits they had and one in particular who drove out of the cross whilst doing my second man stints on the NNR recently.

FP3 signalbox diagram has recently come my way...

attachicon.gifDSC04548.JPG

Love that, your are one lucky person to have that. I need to find myself a scale plan of the area that diagram covers.

Update on this project is slow at the moment as I've been busy with work, volunteering on the NNR, decorating the new arrivals room who is due in 7 weeks and doing the kitchen!!!

I have hopefully a good update regarding the inside of the depot as Pete Harvey at PH Designs is in the process of designing something for me, so watch this space in the next month or 2.

• 3 years later...