Breakdown train/crane

• RMweb Gold

Not really, however just look a this:

96701@Colchester2.jpg.ae0dbd2ef391ba826ff38b98352e8428.jpg

Stratford always ran the crane behind the loco because it was through piped, living van next to the crane so that an eye could be kept on how such a heavy piece of rolling stock was behaving, then the packing van so you didn't have to carry the packing so far to the crane, then the jacking van. All the modified Mk1s were dual braked so that any bit of motive power that was available at the time could take the train out under headcode 1Z01.

Edited by 96701
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not a breakdown train, as such, but here's the Rugby 50t crane, RS1013, built by Cravens in 1931, at Rugby in July 1967.

RS1013_50t_steam_crane_Rugby_July 1967_ege

Now preserved on the ELR, but not currently in working order.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2021 at 19:32, montyburns56 said:

Cambridge 1975 by Mister C

31179 CAMBRIDGE 231075

An Ex LMS 30 ton Cowan Sheldon crane, No 330115, ex RS1075/30. It came under ER control in 1968. It became the regional spare. I chose to model it for my depot layout Hanging Hill. It was the right size of crane for the size of depot Hanging Hill was meant to represent. I also chose it as it was the regional spare as cranes spent many years at the same depot and had I modelled another crane , the expert would have turned up at a show "Crane XYZ never left so and so depot". The expert never showed up.

I did cheat a bit and used the earlier type of match wagon for these cranes so the jib could slide as the train went through pointwork and around curves.

414.jpg.0a45c7b535c8112ce73385fdd9086ced.jpg

416.jpg.f12f65941a656adc66cbcd07780552e4.jpg

Mess Coach,ex RF dia 10C

417.jpg.258ae6175f77bcce9044eb5750015ab0.jpg

Tool Van ex all first

420.jpg.d1de9682b62ca4ee80bc82faf93d83f2.jpg

Complete train with a fish van as the packing van.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is something I have in the pipeline too. I have just purchased Kits for the three Mk1 support coaches from Southern Pride Models, I have a Milk tanker and an open mineral wagon. I now just need to figure out what to do about the Crane. I think I may start with a 75T Cowan from Hornby and Modify it, rather than start from scratch.  This is the one I am trying to replicate, the Wigan one.

Untitled-1.jpg.25005d48d8191b98fe3f28c72dc8da2e.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2021 at 01:35, Esmedune said:

This is something I have in the pipeline too. I have just purchased Kits for the three Mk1 support coaches from Southern Pride Models, I have a Milk tanker and an open mineral wagon. I now just need to figure out what to do about the Crane. I think I may start with a 75T Cowan from Hornby and Modify it, rather than start from scratch.  This is the one I am trying to replicate, the Wigan one.

I believe the Cowans cranes had solid jibs, so was the Wigan crane a Ransomes?

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2019 at 17:36, Coach bogie said:

Probably the most difficult derailment recovery job in that time was a 37 that fell into the river Ebbw down a steep ravine at Cwm Colliery and took some time to deal with; this involved putting lifting beams across the ravine and winching the loco, and the 2 bogies separately, out of the hole they were in.  The crane was not used for this; there was no room between the siding and the edge of the drop for the legs.  There were claimed to be dead fishes in the cab when it was finally recovered; there was certainly a good deal of rather smelly sediment!

1200 Falcon was working one of the recovery trains for this. There was a published shot in Railway Magazine at the time.

Mike Wiltshire

I have a number of official photos of this derailment. Falcon was indeed used at the recovery site. It appears (from the photos) that a huge dragline excavator was used to cut a slipway (for want of a better description) into the side of the embankment, which was then ‘paved’ with sleepers. Two class 47s (with huge wire ropes attached to their coupling hooks) then dragged the 37 up the incline whilst still on its side, to a point where the crane(s) could lift the loco back onto its wheels. The whole process took a month or so to complete. The 37 was repaired and returned to traffic. I even have the final costings of the operation attached to the photos which I will dig out if anyone is interested. Incidentally, as far as the photos show, the 37 didn’t reach the water, as the leading cab dug into the soft embankment. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, mabel said:

I have a number of official photos of this derailment. Falcon was indeed used at the recovery site. It appears (from the photos) that a huge dragline excavator was used to cut a slipway (for want of a better description) into the side of the embankment, which was then ‘paved’ with sleepers. Two class 47s (with huge wire ropes attached to their coupling hooks) then dragged the 37 up the incline whilst still on its side, to a point where the crane(s) could lift the loco back onto its wheels. The whole process took a month or so to complete. The 37 was repaired and returned to traffic. I even have the final costings of the operation attached to the photos which I will dig out if anyone is interested. Incidentally, as far as the photos show, the 37 didn’t reach the water, as the leading cab dug into the soft embankment. 

I'm certainly interested. I assume that Kelbus gear was used to drag the loco up the slope, so looking at the photographs may well prove my assumption.

On 13/12/2023 at 14:41, mabel said:

Photos would be very interesting please.