BR Air Brake Network

From what I can gather, Br's Air Brake network was broken up/stock redistributed/became Speedlink.

Can anyone tell Me which of these actually happened, and when (to the nearest year)

Also, I see that BR converted a collection of wagons to the ABN Network. What type of wagons were these, and what happened to them after the demise of speedlink. Did they keep their ABN branding, and if so, for how long?

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks in advance,

Josh.

The change from the ABN to Speedlink was more or less seamless, more of a marketing distinction than an operating one although it would have been tied in with an increase in the number of services. Checking the precise date, it was actually as early as 1977 that it was launched although its heyday would prove to be the 1980s.

As for the 'wagons converted to ABN', I suspect you mean the heterogenous selection of traditional wagons that were air braked, I *think* around 1972 (off the top of my head, Vanfits, Palvans, steel Highs, Plates and Tubes) - the first three types at least feature in galleries on Paul Bartlett's website (just Google 'Bartlett Zenfolio' to find it). Some of these conversions ended up in various departmental uses, many on the Southern; I dont think any .great use was made of any of them for 'proper' Speedlink traffic.

The change from the ABN to Speedlink was more or less seamless, more of a marketing distinction than an operating one although it would have been tied in with an increase in the number of services. Checking the precise date, it was actually as early as 1977 that it was launched although its heyday would prove to be the 1980s.

As for the 'wagons converted to ABN', I suspect you mean the heterogenous selection of traditional wagons that were air braked, I *think* around 1972 (off the top of my head, Vanfits, Palvans, steel Highs, Plates and Tubes) - the first three types at least feature in galleries on Paul Bartlett's website (just Google 'Bartlett Zenfolio' to find it). Some of these conversions ended up in various departmental uses, many on the Southern; I dont think any .great use was made of any of them for 'proper' Speedlink traffic.

I don't believe Plates were included. http://paulbartlett....olio.com/?q=abn Tubes are on my website. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brtube/e39471fd4

As are some SR parcels PMV vans such as http://PaulBartlett....mental/eade1625 - there are others.

I think there was a lot more to ABN, a full network with, of course, all of the new build airbraked wagons of the early 1970s - what became OAA, VAB, VBB, SAA, OJX

Paul Bartlett

The first of the new air-braked trunk services, from Bristol to Glasgow, started in spring 1976, IIRC. I used to sit on the embankment by Narroways Hill Junction, 'revising' for my Finals, and watching it pass- normally a 46 with a mixture of new COV ABs and OAA. There weren't any 'relict' vehicles from the experimental fleet used in it; my understanding was that, except for the Plates, they went over to Departmental use. The Plates had their bodies removed, and went to Scotland as container carriers. The second service was from Llandeilo Jct (traffic from the adjacent Trostre tinplate works) to Whitemoor, where the tinplate traffic would be forwarded to Wisbech. The services crossed at Bescot, IIRC, and exchanged portions.

The first of the new air-braked trunk services, from Bristol to Glasgow, started in spring 1976, IIRC. I used to sit on the embankment by Narroways Hill Junction, 'revising' for my Finals, and watching it pass- normally a 46 with a mixture of new COV ABs and OAA. There weren't any 'relict' vehicles from the experimental fleet used in it; my understanding was that, except for the Plates, they went over to Departmental use. The Plates had their bodies removed, and went to Scotland as container carriers. The second service was from Llandeilo Jct (traffic from the adjacent Trostre tinplate works) to Whitemoor, where the tinplate traffic would be forwarded to Wisbech. The services crossed at Bescot, IIRC, and exchanged portions.

Brian, sources such as http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rj7TrpWFVjQC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA731#v=onepage&q&f=false suggest that the first network was back in 1972. That New Scientist article is from September 1977 and is about launching Speedlink proper.

Paul Bartlett

Brian, sources such as http://books.google....epage&q&f=false suggest that the first network was back in 1972. That New Scientist article is from September 1977 and is about launching Speedlink proper.

The Bristol - Glasgow service dates from Oct 1972,.with Harwich - Glasgow the following year based on the Zeebrugge ferry flow (with the significant advantage that air braked wagons were already involved). I've just checked the passage I wrote for Santona's Modelling the British Rail Era and whilst at this distance in time I dont have notes on the sources I used, it would have been well researched particularly from Modern Railways mag, which had some very good rail freight articles during the '80s

Here is the publicity leaflet produced by BR to advertise Speedlink,

Page 2 mentions the first experimental services in 1972, which were not publicised,

the map on the 4th page shows services as running at the beginning of October 1977.

post-7081-0-10954600-1338117568_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-02491400-1338117652_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-51125200-1338117743_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-58929700-1338117437_thumb.jpg

I also have a copy of a Railnews article, undated but probably from 1976.

The article mentions the 1972 start of the Bristol - Glasgow service

and adds that by 1976 the service had increased to 18 trains a night on 9 routes.

In October 1976 the service was increased to 24 trains on 12 routes,

nowhere in the article can I see the word Speedlink.

Remember that not only BR owned vehicles were modified with airbrakes.

For example the tank cars used to convey fuel oil for TMDs passed in both trainload and wagonload,

once airbraked and recoded TTA they were also sent on Speedlink services,

cheers

Guest Phil

The Bristol - Glasgow service dates from Oct 1972,.with Harwich - Glasgow the following year based on the Zeebrugge ferry flow (with the significant advantage that air braked wagons were already involved). I've just checked the passage I wrote for Santona's Modelling the British Rail Era and whilst at this distance in time I dont have notes on the sources I used, it would have been well researched particularly from Modern Railways mag, which had some very good rail freight articles during the '80s

From memory, the Bristol Glasgow was 4S38 which came up form Bristol with a type 4 diesel, and was reengined with two tandem electric locos. As was normal practice on the WCML at that time, the Air braked class 87 (if there was one) was marshalled on the train, with the dual braked engine leading. This was so that if an engine needed robbing from the train it would be the dual braked one.

Had a ride in the back cab of 4S38 - in the second loco and was interested to see how the supervans rode in relation to the cartics which were also attached at Bescot.

Concerning the Trostre-Whitemoor, that wasn't always timetabled via Bescot, and I recall seeing it one night having relief at Walsall, having come over the Dudley line.

As Pennine says, I'm sure it was purely a rebranding, as BR did so many times. I recall being annoyed as a young whippersnapper when an older colleague kept using "Speedfreight" instead of Speedlink when discussing the trains. Only later did I realise the importance of Speedfreight.

Then there was Green Arrow. Hands up all those who know about Green Arrow on British Railways - as distinct from Tartan Arrow !!!.

... was interested to see how the supervans rode in relation to the cartics which were also attached at Bescot.

...Only later did I realise the importance of Speedfreight.

Then there was Green Arrow. Hands up all those who know about Green Arrow on British Railways - as distinct from Tartan Arrow !!!.

All these tantalising glimpses! Any chance of a couple of lines explanation on these? Pretty please?

My google skills seem to be deserting me, probably because Green Arrow and Speedfreight bring up so many irrelevant answers.

All these tantalising glimpses! Any chance of a couple of lines explanation on these? Pretty please?

My google skills seem to be deserting me, probably because Green Arrow and Speedfreight bring up so many irrelevant answers.

Speedfreight was a branding used on traditional containers in the '60s (in conjunction with 'London Midland Railway' rather than Region), although the boxes and the Conflat As had had the mountings modified to something more akin to that used on ISO boxes. There are pics in one of David Larkin's books for Kestrel. Tartan Arrow was a mid '60s Anglo-Scottish parcels operation using reliveried BR CCTs and LMS BGs; Green Arrow was an LNER express freight initiative of the late '30s (hence the eponymous V2).

Brian, sources such as http://books.google....epage&q&f=false suggest that the first network was back in 1972. That New Scientist article is from September 1977 and is about launching Speedlink proper.

Paul Bartlett

I hadn't realised it started that early, Paul; perhaps it ran later in the evening from Bristol at that time, as I didn't see it until then.

Speedfreight was a branding used on traditional containers in the '60s (in conjunction with 'London Midland Railway' rather than Region)

'Railway' seems to have been altered to 'Region' fairly quickly - probably someone from the BRB came down hard on that one! Speedfreight containers actually used a new method of securing the containers that obviated the need for hooks and shackles - some old BDs were converted, but the bulk of Speedfreight containers were new build.

Guest Phil

Speedfreight was a branding used on traditional containers in the '60s (in conjunction with 'London Midland Railway' rather than Region), although the boxes and the Conflat As had had the mountings modified to something more akin to that used on ISO boxes. There are pics in one of David Larkin's books for Kestrel. Tartan Arrow was a mid '60s Anglo-Scottish parcels operation using reliveried BR CCTs and LMS BGs; Green Arrow was an LNER express freight initiative of the late '30s (hence the eponymous V2).

From what I am told by retired staff, "green arrow" traffic was a guaranteed next day delivery, so when shunters saw wagon labels bearing green arrows tey had to detach other traffic to make sure green arrows had priority. The green arrows were only on the wagon labels apparently, and I have never seen reference to the system.

• RMweb Gold

Green Arrow was basically a registered transit via specific services - so the customer knew when it should arrive (at railhead) and in theory could also ask what train it was on during the transit - not that anyone on the railway would necessarily know for some flows. The LNER started it off as a premium overnight registered service and effectively that was what it remained for many flows - but the key bits were 'registered' and 'specific services' as I understood it.

Thanks to Kenny (Rivercider) for the leaflet scan - especially interested in the image of the Ciba-Giegy tanks with the Scammel road tanker. Not sure if the colour if off as I always though the Cib-Geigy livery was a lighter blue (as per Paul Bartlett's photos- they seem to fade quite a bit!)

The CIBA-Geigy tanks I remember at Hexham in the 1980s were what might be called 'powder-blue'- the ones in the photo look as though they're a similar colour to Tate and Lyle's.

I like the view of the computer operator- an early adopter of the 'IT Crowd' uniform.

Green Arrow was basically a registered transit via specific services - so the customer knew when it should arrive (at railhead) and in theory could also ask what train it was on during the transit - not that anyone on the railway would necessarily know for some flows. The LNER started it off as a premium overnight registered service and effectively that was what it remained for many flows - but the key bits were 'registered' and 'specific services' as I understood it.

In the mid 1960's 'Green Arrows' were 'wired on' through the control office network (well, to and from Rotherham Control anyway) by wagon number and destination. When I went to Cambridge in 1966, I found that Whitemoor received all its Green Arrow advices by teleprinter which considerably simplified the inter-control 'wiring on'

Guest Phil

In the mid 1960's 'Green Arrows' were 'wired on' through the control office network (well, to and from Rotherham Control anyway) by wagon number and destination. When I went to Cambridge in 1966, I found that Whitemoor received all its Green Arrow advices by teleprinter which considerably simplified the inter-control 'wiring on'

Thanks to Mike and Andy for explaining Green Arrow.

Please feel free to write as much more as you want about this kind of stuff because I find it fascinating. I cut my teeth on the very last vestages of punchcard TOPS in 1980 so always seek to learn of what worked prior to TOPS.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Mike and Andy for explaining Green Arrow.

Please feel free to write as much more as you want about this kind of stuff because I find it fascinating. I cut my teeth on the very last vestages of punchcard TOPS in 1980 so always seek to learn of what worked prior to TOPS.

it's probably safest if I don't mention my part in closing down a substantial part of Speedlink but one item from that time was very amusing. We were consulting the closure of Speedlink network on the WR at a large meeting held in Newport. As usual all the local reps got the chance to ask questions and were were going along quite nicely until someone from the deep southwest stood up and asked, in a particularly blunt manner 'What about the Newlyn trawler fuel?'

The various management reps looked at each other - with some very puzzled looks - the Chairman asked me what I knew about it (nothing), the Chairman asked the RfD rep what he knew about it (nothing) and the Staff Side Sectional Council Secretary clearly sensing some confusion on the management side suggested, in a slightly ironic tone but with a hint of humour, that I might like to go and find out a bit more about it.

So off I went and started getting in touch with the right man in the Pertroleum sub-sector who - for once - was in his office and I duly asked him about it and what would happen to it as I had never heard of it. He replied that he hadn't heard anything about it either so went off and contacted someone who could go through the old records. It transpired that no 'Newlyn trawler fuel' had passed by rail for at least 7 years and that it was in fact now supplied from a West of England based wholesaler who received his supply by coastal shipping.

So off I went back into the meeting and duly related the tale to an audience which was clearly keen to hear of management's failure to take account in the Speedlink closure plans of this important traffic flow - the answer resulted in a very ruddy face for a gentleman from the deepest southwest and a nice round of laughter. Mind you that laughter was as nothing when i was asked to explain how the replacement Tiger Rail train would attach traffic out of Taunton cider (which I couldn't understand as it would be a simple pick-up with the train engine) so I duly rattled off all the moves involved at a rate of knots and got a round of applause. Sometimes sad occasions could be remarkably human, especially on the Western where many of our staff reps were a great bunch of experienced railwaymen.

I think Speedfreight was actually a specifc London-Manchester service in the same way that Condor was for London-Glasgow and Birmingham Glasgow. I have the BR London Midland Region freight handbook 1966 in front of me and after two sections dedicated to the two 'Condor' services it has

'3. London/Manchester 'Speedfreight'

This is a fast regular and reliable door-to-door freight container service giving an assured overnight delivery between London and Manchester in both directions'

it goes on, but I'm not feeling particularly inclined to retype it tonight...

In the same booklet it describes the Green Arrow service

'Full wagon load merchandise can be registered through to any destination in Great Britain, also to and from Belfast via Heysham, for a registration fee of 2/6d for each consignment. Experiance staff keep watch at each stage of the journey right to the destination so that manufacturers and traders using the Green Arrow service can be sure tht their traffic will be progressed throughout its entire journey with all possible speed.'

Jon

"Experienced staff keep watch"... that'll be signalmen checking the tail lamps?

More likely controllers getting paranoid if a train detached a hot box, and the subsequent relief when the wagon wasn't one of the 'Arrers'!

Archived