Loughor Viaduct

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting that, Ian. That footbridge at Gowerton is some structure- I'm sure the local youth will enjoy their new skateboard ramp. Showing my age now, but I remember there being sidings, with wagons in them, behind the Up platform, as well as Gowerton Steel still being open..

I don't remember sidings, but I recall the double track in use and the line being singled in my college days West Glam Institute of Higher Education -happy days! 

My Mum recalls the LMS line too and the branch that ran to Penclawdd and Llanmorlais. i miss Gowerton :(

I don't remember sidings, but I recall the double track in use and the line being singled in my college days West Glam Institute of Higher Education -happy days! 

My Mum recalls the LMS line too and the branch that ran to Penclawdd and Llanmorlais. i miss Gowerton :(

Watch out- I think you might be infected with 'hiraeth' (a longing for a place you couldn't wait to get away from). I just about remember the last days of trains from Swansea Victoria; I used to nag my parents to take me to the 'crazy golf' next to where the line crossed Mumbles Road.

I remember seeing an 03 in the exchange sidings at Gowerton Steel, as well as track being in place on the Llanmorlais branch.

Watch out- I think you might be infected with 'hiraeth' (a longing for a place you couldn't wait to get away from). I just about remember the last days of trains from Swansea Victoria; I used to nag my parents to take me to the 'crazy golf' next to where the line crossed Mumbles Road.

I remember seeing an 03 in the exchange sidings at Gowerton Steel, as well as track being in place on the Llanmorlais branch.

Hi

We Lived in Mirador Crescent in the Uplands and my Dad, who was as much an enthusiast as me, used to take me to the see the trains on the pathway between the Mumbles road and Swansea Bay station.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Just a picture which may not mean much to a lot of people, but, it shows the panel set up for the last train I signalled over the single line from Loughor to Cockett on Saturday Evening before the line was closed for the installation of the double line and the new viaduct.

post-4712-0-07851400-1364292799.jpg

Ian

Hi all

Just a picture which may not mean much to a lot of people, but, it shows the panel set up for the last train I signalled over the single line from Loughor to Cockett on Saturday Evening before the line was closed for the installation of the double line and the new viaduct.

Ian

How do they re-jig the signalling panel in the picture? It looks like those little squares are replaceable modules, bit of a lego-type thing.

How do they re-jig the signalling panel in the picture? It looks like those little squares are replaceable modules, bit of a lego-type thing.

Hi

Exactly right they just replace the tiles with ones for the new configuration, when I am in work next I will photograph the new arrangement for comparison.

Ian

Hi all

Just come back from the viaduct, this is the photo at the Llanelli side, you can just sea on the RH side the old viaduct has been dismantled.

post-4712-0-30934600-1364306575_thumb.jpg

Incidentall, if anyone wants to ride over the Swansea District line all the Arriva services for West Wales are routed over this way Until April 4th.

Ian

Good to see the progress on that- I don't think the Llanelli area's seen as many big cranes since Duport put the arc furnaces in. I wonder what the fire-tender is doing there..?

I think it was required as a fire precaution when carrying out burning operations on the old viaduct. There's a lot of interesting pictures of the demolition works on Flickr if you search for Loughor. 

Cheers

Angus

• RMweb Gold

That was one reason the Western went in for using Integra panels (although the circuitry alterations are not quite so simple, even with WR E10,000).  Also simple to replace faulty or worn switches etc - if you can get the spares!

• RMweb Gold

This is fantastic stuff - it reminds me very much of the similar Cotswolds redoubling project which we commissioned in 2011. Now this one is happening, and later this week I attend another meeting regarding the planned Swindon to Kemble redoubling!

Dr Beeching must be starting to rotate!

• 2 months later...

Hi all

A few more photos now the project is complete, the first one I have shown before of the last train I signalled over the old single track panel configuration, but, I thought it would be interesting to put the before and after photos of the panel together for comparison.

post-4712-0-70987900-1371672119.jpg

post-4712-0-63964100-1371672135.jpg

next a photo looking up line from the cycle path bridge showing the double track has almost eliminated the s bend onto the old viaduct shown in reply 15

post-4712-0-68615700-1371672248.jpg

Gowerton's new up platform

post-4712-0-80441500-1371672300.jpg

The new viaduct looking towards Llanelli

post-4712-0-81225400-1371672385.jpg

then looking towards Swansea, interesting that 3 of the old piers have been left in situ

post-4712-0-97645000-1371672459.jpg

Finally part of the old viaduct is being re-assembled on the waste ground between the railway line and the road bridge.

post-4712-0-09087600-1371672633.jpg

Ian

Archived