Decoder Pro 3 help - and now a successful Touchcab user.

• RMweb Gold

I had some problems with the latest 2.14 production version on first use. On my Windows 7 PCs the Wizard that runs on first use hangs. Rather than trying to use it I selected cancel and then set up my preferences using the program menus. All was OK after that. If using a Sprog or LI USB interface they need to be installed before the decoder pro software is run so that you know can select the appropriate connection. I know absolutely nothing about the Lenz decoder programmer. I had assumed (possibly totally erroneously) it only worked with Lenz products or software. Hopefully someone reading this will reply! If not I'd suggest starting a thread in DCC questions.

Best wishes

Tony

Hi Ray,

Good to hear from you.

This is the download I used.....

http://downloads.sou...2.14-r19563.exe

It was straightforward enough to do. I had previously loaded the driver disc that I got with the 23151 interface.

Following Tonys tip about flow control in additonal settings(see post #20) everything has gone well.

Have a go with this......then post back with your questions, Tony and/or I should be able to talk you through.

Bob

I managed to get to the loft this evening, armed with my laptop, just had a play with the throttles on Decoder Pro. If nothing else, I know have at least one more throttle which has now meant that the cost of the interface 23151 has now been more than justified......cost of new lenz throttles circa £140.

I set two laptop throttles in motion, and successfully toggled between both easily...wait till my mates come round, they are gonna think me a real smartass.

Talk soon................Bob

Hi Bob, Tony.

Thanks for your response, I've managed to get JMRI 2.14 installed but it doesn't seem to want to talk to my Lenz Decoder Programmer. Reading through the JMRI support documentation there's no mention of it being supported. I'll drop them an email to see if I've missed something.

Regards

Ray.

Hi Bob, Tony.

Thanks for your response, I've managed to get JMRI 2.14 installed but it doesn't seem to want to talk to my Lenz Decoder Programmer. Reading through the JMRI support documentation there's no mention of it being supported. I'll drop them an email to see if I've missed something.

Regards

Ray.

Ahhh......I think I misunderstood, so its not the Lenz Interface 23151 unit you are trying to connect in. Its a Lenz Decoder Programmer, is that what you used to do my decoders a while back.?

Bob.

Ahhh......I think I misunderstood, so its not the Lenz Interface 23151 unit you are trying to connect in. Its a Lenz Decoder Programmer, is that what you used to do my decoders a while back.?

Bob.

That's correct Bob. I use the decoder programmer to set-up the CV's etc on new decoder/loco combinations using this and a rolling road connected to my PC in the lounge. Saves taking the PC upstairs to the layout and connecting to my NCE system. I was hoping to use decoder pro to do this and replace my excel spreadsheet that I use to record all the CV settings in.

Ray.

That's correct Bob. I use the decoder programmer to set-up the CV's etc on new decoder/loco combinations using this and a rolling road connected to my PC in the lounge. Saves taking the PC upstairs to the layout and connecting to my NCE system. I was hoping to use decoder pro to do this and replace my excel spreadsheet that I use to record all the CV settings in.

Ray.

Yes,

I realised that was maybe what you were doing....or trying to do. It would be perfect if you could do that.

I would like to be able to look at the speed curves.....and iron out one or two jumps between speed steps that I find I get on some of my decoders, not the Lenz ones I might add....they appear to be perfectly ok.

Last night I was able to operate two locos on my layout using throttles on Decoder Pro 3......I still prefer the hand held throttles, but at £140 a time, thats quite expensive. This way I have the option of at least one or two more controllers without that expense......I would only use them when my two hand helds are in use, that would be when 3 or 4 of us are operating.

I now need to find out how I make amendments to cv's, and then save them to a loco either on the main or on the prog track....perhaps if you are reading this Tony, you may like to give me a few pointers.

Thanks...........................Bob

• RMweb Gold

I now need to find out how I make amendments to cv's, and then save them to a loco either on the main or on the prog track....perhaps if you are reading this Tony, you may like to give me a few pointers.

Thanks...........................Bob

Hi, I am reading it but I'm just about to set off to Northants to collect my Mother in Law.

This is a quick and possibly not therefore correct but may tell you enough to sort things out. I'll do it properly when I return

Plonk a loco on the programming track.

Select the new loco icon, this should bring up the programming pane. You can either identify your type of decoder manually or let it do it for you by clicking on the onscreen button. Various screens (I'll describe properly later when I'm by the trainset!) enable you to enter the details for a brand new loco but if it is an existing one once the decoder has been identified do a read all CVs and the info should go into the basic screen, it will then prompt you at some point to save the roster details, If you however change something like the loco number say from 4472 to 1000 the write all changes button (on screen) will write to the decoder. You will also have to save changes to the roster as well.

Hope this helps!

If anyone else is reading this PLEASE correct, this is done in a hurry just to get Bob started.

Tony

Thanks Tony......good of you to take the time to reply, I know you have a busy day travelling today.

I'll see how far I get......but I have a Christening this afternoon which will curtail my activities somewhat.

Bob

Tony,

This evening I have made some progress, but still have some confusion.

When I bring up decoder pro 3, and click on new loco, and then I ask it to identify the decoder, which all works fine. Then I click on Open Programmer, and I start filling in the blanks, but it doesnt allow me to put in a DCC address.

So I save it to the roster and move on.

Now when I go in to Decoder pro again, the roster page comes up first, and I click on a loco entry....on the page that then appears.....I click on the tab "CV's" at the top of the page.

I can read, and write all cv's I wish quite successfully......but not CV 1 the address.

I have a shunter D3509 which is addressed 3509, if I ask it to READ the address, it reads 3......this is not so with all the other cv's.............hence I am puzzled, and would like to bottom this one before I progress. Even if I put in the number 3509 in the box, then press "WRITE"....it seems as if it is sending the msg, but when I read the address again, it is still 3.

Bob

Bob,

1 - it might be useful to read the manual

http://www.jmri.org/help/en/manual/DP3_2-14_manual/index.shtml

This can either be read online, or downloaded as a PDF file to read off-line.

2 - the first pane you see when opening a decoder is the "roster" entry. This has description of the loco, such as any name you give it and other fields. This information is ONLY stored in the computer, not on the decoder. The loco address you see on this tab is copied from elsewhere and is NOT editable on the roster tab.

3 - what tabs you see will depend on preference settings. But, as you are seeing a set of tabs including "CVs" tab, this means you are using the "comprehensive" view of the decoder (recommended, stick with Comprehensive). The first tab will be "roster entry", the next on "basic" . On the basic tab is the address of the locomotive, and where you can set it.

4 - whilst your loco may have an address of 3509, this is a LONG address. SHORT addresses are stored in CV1. LONG addresses are stored in CV17 and CV18 (using a strange calculation, so its not "dead obvious" how to interpret the numbers stored in those CVs. I could give you the calculation if you care about it). In addition, CV29 is used to tell the decoder whether it is using a LONG or SHORT address, so you can flip between a LONG and SHORT address by just changing CV29.

When you "changed" the address from 3 to 3509, using a Lenz handset, it will have set the LONG address into CV17 and CV18 and changed CV29. It won't have changed CV1 (the SHORT address CV) because there was no need to change it. Hence, you are seeing a value of "3" when reading CV1. (Lenz assumes LONG addresses for anything greater than 100, SHORT addresses for less than 99. This isn't the same as other makers, but don't worry about that detail at present).

NOW THE IMPORTANT BIT !!!!! The point of using DecoderPro is to simplify all this CV complexity. So, just use the "basic" tab discussed above, and don't worry about which CV is set to control addresses or anything else.

- Nigel

Nigel,

Thats a brillant explanation...thankyou so much, I now perfectly understand. Its good of you to give such a clear and comprehensive explanation.

Many thanks............Bob.

PS......watch this space as I move on.....I'm sure there are more questions yet. But I will have a read of the manual more thoroughly.

PPS......now just tried the Basic Tab and entered the 4 digit code....perfect...it now appears in my Roster as the correct 4 digit DCC address.

PPPS......now feeling really smug, I managed to get 3 on screen throttles working earlier, I just couldnt cope with any more yet.

Thanks again all..........Bob.

PPS......now just tried the Basic Tab and entered the 4 digit code....perfect...it now appears in my Roster as the correct 4 digit DCC address.

Bob,

its a **lot** easier if you just put the loco on the programming track, open the appropriate tab in DecoderPro, and then use "read full sheet". DecoderPro will then query all the values in the decoder for that tab and save them for you. The colour of the fields will change when they have been read from the decoder (because the program knows they are correct, rather than just knowing what was stored in the computer).

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Now back from collecting Mother in Law. I think you will be soon up to speed with DecoderPro and will wonder how you ever got on without it. I've used it with a Sprog for a couple of years and have never bothered to learn how to program decoders from my Lenz handset.

I have started putting the ethernet connection back together using a wireless client hub that isn't used on my SkyHD box. I can't believe the mistake I made setting it up yesterday. Just about the most elementary error possible!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Apolgies if I dont respond too quickly to posts this week....broken the disc drive on the laptop......!!

In at the repairers now....so just keeping you informed from work.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

However there still was that big lead connecting the Lenz LAN interface to the router. I had a Netgear wireless access point attached to my Sony TV. As all that seems to do is let me have access to a world clock, I removed it and attached it to the Lenz interface. This works fine.

HI

The other option is PowerLine adaptors. I use these

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Product_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLProductCarouselMultiple&cid=1197389564612&p=1197318962342&packedargs=locale%3D1195806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper

to connect my TV to the router which is at the other side of the house and a third one to connect to my Lenz system.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

HI

The other option is PowerLine adaptors. I use these

http://www.dlink.co....pe-GB/DLWrapper

to connect my TV to the router which is at the other side of the house and a third one to connect to my Lenz system.

Cheers

Paul

I thought the powerline type adapters would be perfect for my house which (before wireless N) used to have wireless blackspots but I tried two different makes and neither worked. It was frustrating as I know just about everyone else who had them liked them! The BTHomehub 3 wireless seems to penetrate all parts of my house though my wife thinks I'm silly saying "look, I can control my trains in the dining room from upstaIirs". I suspect she is correct!

• RMweb Premium

I thought the powerline type adapters would be perfect for my house which (before wireless N) used to have wireless blackspots but I tried two different makes and neither worked. It was frustrating as I know just about everyone else who had them liked them!

My railway room is in a separate building 25metres from the house so I could never get a wireless signal, strangely I got good signals from all the neighbours houses which were at least as far away!

I installed a Homeplug (what most people call them) and it works fine, no loss of speed at all.

The one thing I found was don't mix makes. I added another for the TV, for iPlayer and it didn't work, being different from the original pair. When I replaced it with one the same it worked perfectly. They are supposed to be to a single standard but there seems to be some specification interpretation problems.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

My railway room is in a separate building 25metres from the house so I could never get a wireless signal, strangely I got good signals from all the neighbours houses which were at least as far away!

I installed a Homeplug (what most people call them) and it works fine, no loss of speed at all.

The one thing I found was don't mix makes. I added another for the TV, for iPlayer and it didn't work, being different from the original pair. When I replaced it with one the same it worked perfectly. They are supposed to be to a single standard but there seems to be some specification interpretation problems.

Keith

Hi

Yes it's best to stick to one manufacturer.

I believe there are two distinct types (one based on the Atheros chipset which includes DLink, Belkin and I'm not sure what the other one is) and they are not compatible.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Yes it's best to stick to one manufacturer.

I believe there are two distinct types (one based on the Atheros chipset which includes DLink, Belkin and I'm not sure what the other one is) and they are not compatible.

Cheers

Paul

If they say they are part of the "Homeplug Alliance" they should work with each other, however I have been told that is not necessarily true!

My originals were Devolo and the (incompatible) add-on a Netgear, both accredited makes.

http://www.homeplug.org/certified_products

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Not had much time to play with Decoder 3 of late.......but I am making progress.

However......today I took delivery of my iPhone.......so you know whats next dont you.....yes, Touchcab.

So, I have my laptop, I have my Interface 23151, and now I have my iPhone..........what do I need to get hold of next.

I havent even switched on my iPhone yet....my son is going to give me a teach in on Friday...!!!!

Cheers..................Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Not had much time to play with Decoder 3 of late.......but I am making progress.

However......today I took delivery of my iPhone.......so you know whats next dont you.....yes, Touchcab.

So, I have my laptop, I have my Interface 23151, and now I have my iPhone..........what do I need to get hold of next.

I havent even switched on my iPhone yet....my son is going to give me a teach in on Friday...!!!!

Cheers..................Bob.

Hi

All you now need is a connection via an Ethernet cable to your home router then download TouchCab from iTunes ( you son will be able to show you iTunes on Friday if you arn't familiar with it). That should be it provided the router is on a 192.168.0.x address if not there will be a little more configuration required.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

All you now need is a connection via an Ethernet cable to your home router then download TouchCab from iTunes ( you son will be able to show you iTunes on Friday if you arn't familiar with it). That should be it provided the router is on a 192.168.0.x address if not there will be a little more configuration required.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul..........not quite sure what you mean here regarding a connection via an ethernet cable and my home router.?

I have my laptop downstairs, which is close to the Broadband hub, connected wirelessly.

My layout is in the loft, where I have the Lenz set, and the interface 23151

I thought I needed something to plug into the interface......?

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul..........not quite sure what you mean here regarding a connection via an ethernet cable and my home router.?

I have my laptop downstairs, which is close to the Broadband hub, connected wirelessly.

My layout is in the loft, where I have the Lenz set, and the interface 23151

I thought I needed something to plug into the interface......?

Bob.

Hi

You do, an Ethernet cable between the interface and your router. Considering that they are on different floors then I would suggest powerline adaptors rather than a very long cable.

I use these but others are available

http://www.dlink.com...ugh-adapter-kit

or

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/powerline/dhp-307av-powerline-av-network-starter-kit

Benefit of the first ones is you don't loose a socket.

Provided both ring mains are on the same consumer unit these will work. If you have multiple consumer units you may have issues.

Cheers

Paul

Archived