The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Yes Alan, thanks for the thought. It is rather a comfortable feeling in being able to continue and not scrap and build up the whole edifice again.

I have been watching how you have got on. I wasn't sure whether your back scene would work but you've certainly pulled it off.

Thank you Edwardian for those kind words, they complement those of Armin, for which I thank him and taken together represent what I attempt to achieve.

And yes, the future does look promising. I have done a little more to that end and there it will now reach 6'0 and the reason so that the whole will be more in balance. When done I shall show what I needed to do.

post-3088-0-83486800-1455377043_thumb.jpg

I work from back to front and after I had added the edging to the platform it much accentuated its (deliberate) length. The layout was ill-balanced and needed to be lengthened at the RH end. This I did by adding an 8" extension and as  the following images demonstrate.

I haven't added captions because, I hope the images are self-explanatory. If not, please ask.

post-3088-0-82460100-1455377074_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-71346600-1455377115_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-47425600-1455377160_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-40737700-1455377194_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-29943800-1455377233_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-40853800-1455377299_thumb.jpg

In the "box" extension was put foam and on the top laid cork tiles. Rigidity will be added by the fascia and back board. It was easy to accomplish for the method of baseboard construction lends itself to addition /alterations very readily.

I might too cut the platform back by 2-3" but shall wait until more scenics are done. I have in mind placing a stone water tower (scratchbuilt) at the platform end.

The stock is there to give an idea of siding length available.

Evening(here at least!) John,

I'm afraid I've been rather unwell for some time now, although the medics are currently working on a plan to make life bearable for me, so I must apologise to you and your 'followers' for the sudden appearance of a rash of ratings. I love the 'Port Bredy' work to date, and as usual, your photographs have been most inspirational. My visit has really cheered me up, and I'll try to pay closer attention to the thread during my next week's daily treatment regime.

Thank you for lifting my spirits John,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, I was sorry to read that but surmised from your absence such was the case.You had been in my thoughts. In any event you seem better than you were so that is good. Every illness and misfortune has its ups and its downs and let us hope here that yours is more up than down from here on in.

I'm glad that you liked what I have been doing.  It gives you (as well as me and others) something fresh to think about apart from the world that bears down upon you (and us) currently. It's a new episode in the Hintock saga and things are coming along nicely. I'm happy this phase is behind me, next is ballasting and painting the track that I regard as rather a chore but it is necessary one. As it has to be done I shan't procastinate so I can then get on with the buildings, scenics and preparing the stock.

I plan on posting some "pretty" images as construction images are all very well, but not that appealing entertainment. Meantime you have my every good wish for better days and nights ahead.

Nick: quite so, that's one of the reasons for the lenghty platform. It sets off such a characteristic GWR branch train so well.

And gentlemen: thank you for your likes. They are appreciated.

All will be revealed Dave, in due course.

And you too could have a layout this, including the white bollards. It's one of the reasons I'm building it; to demonstrate how much small layouts have to offer.

And once again it's inspirational John.

• RMweb Gold

All will be revealed Dave, in due course.

And you too could have a layout this, including the white bollards. It's one of the reasons I'm building it; to demonstrate how much small layouts have to offer.

As I have said before John, you are, in no small part, responsible for my layout Sheep Lane.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed John. Not much to post on my thread recently. Plenty going on but decided to hold off for a bit. I have started on the scenery and will post some images over the next few days. However here is a photo of the scenic part of Sheep Lane. All 110cm of it. I post by way of illustrating what is possible..

Rob.

post-14122-0-67923600-1455396927_thumb.jpg

For some reason I see links to West Bay in this extension, a station that is still there though now providing a good place to park, and the station is an excellent tea room .

But it is late at night after a very difficult week!

All the vans/cars for the filming of Broadchurch series 1 were parked in the former station yard at West Bay.

This is an excellent extension John, you can already sense the Dorset atmosphere of the layout.

Martyn, coming from a local that is praise indeed.  Thank you. There are certainly links to West Bay and I have it very much in mind in Port Bredy. It's re-assuring too to know that the station building is still serving a useful public service.

That you can recognise the Dorset  atmosphere already is satisfying-I can see it all done in my minds eye.

Sorry about your week, maybe tomorrow with some railway R&R things will look better.

Every good wish.

John, I have silently been watching the progress of Hintock for some time and now Port Bredy with fascination and admiration. The small portable format is something I have long admired and I personally get just as much enjoyment from the build pics as I do from the final product. I also have found a recent burgeoning enjoyment of things GWR, oops. Bit like thinking about buy a blue car and then seeing nothing but blue cars..

I am really looking forward to seeing Port Bredy progress and am now following this thread.

Regards

Tom

Tom, thank you, those are kind and encouraging words. They are appreciated. I haven't previously been very keen on displaying construction images but I can now see their appeal. I have to say I'm no particular craftsman but the result is the essence and I don't think I do too badly there. What I'm really saying is that you don't have to be a master craftsman to get credible results. Some times I think the craftmanship card is over played.

While I have got a lot of fun from developing Hintock itself, going down the line with Hintock TQ and now with  Port Bredy I'm enjoying what I have done so far and am now currently playing with.

It's having a goal I think that spurs me on and small layouts never become burdensome. One can see an end, not a long slog ahead. I always have built "small" layouts for they are, apart from everything else, so very practical.

I look forward to seeing you on here and sharing the enjoyment.

My regards,

Thank you for the reply John. As for pics of progress I think "we" gain so much from seeing how things are done by others, or make us think differently about what we are doing but for me I get enjoyment from seeing the kind of bare bones shots that you refrain from.

As for craftsman, I would disagree with your assessment as the results prove. There are very few masters craftsmen out there but there are many craftsmen that I take inspiration from and look to try and better my game from, however I mostly put myself in the bodgers category.

To me the essence or ambience is key to any layout and ultimately if the builder is happy with that then thats all that matters. I am attentional challenged and fear I may be off down another rabbit hole soon :)

Regards

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree John.

My efforts have to satisfy one person....me. I am not an expert and detest onerous rivet counting. I am critical enough of my own efforts. There fore if I am happy with the look then that is good enough.However that should not mean that I do not strive to improve my standards and it is from the work of others that we glean hints and tips.

But, it has to look right.

As someone said to me " if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, chances are.......... its a duck "

Rob

John,
I am not sure but I think this is the first time you've broken down one of your projects into almost a step-by-step construction. Excellent as usual. Do keep going with this.

May I ask if you could do the same for your building construction? The photos so far of the Port Bredy buildings do demonstrate your technique but one step I should like to see is the way you do the cladding. I know that you use Slaters but I'm not sure of the technique that you use to get the curved stonework over the windows and doors.

I do like 70'pushpull carriages and you have yet to include one so far. Would one be appropriate in this case?
Cheers
Alan

Alan, nice to hear from you once again. I can see three questions there and I'll answer and follow up with another post later. I also would mention that on my Hintock website  http://www.hintockbranch.com/ I do devote Ch's 5-8 to my construction techniques.

1. As to photographing construction work I must admit I do not it compehensively. But there are some in the thread-if you can find them

The reason is that once I start, I work fast and forget all about photographing the various steps and more so as it breaks the flow of the work. That I find annoying. But I shall endeavour to put that annoyance aside.

I didn't realize members were so interested in my methods. The problem is finding the particular  images that demonstrate them.  However as the thread has now reached over 50 pages I will go through my images and as a recap exercise, post them from time to time.

2. I use Slater's plasticard beause most of my buildings are of the local stone. To secure it to the carcase I employ Pacer Formula 560 Canopy Glue. And to achieve the curved arches the trick is to cut it slightly oversize length wise and then make vertical cuts to about 90% of the depth. You will find it will produce a curved effect. There is your arch. I attach them with Mekpak or similar.

I shall post photos later.

3. Yes, an autocoach would be appropriate. I choose not to run one as there is little operational interest-no running round and the like.

I do have an ex Airfix autocoach and 14xx and these are used more as photographic props.

I hope this answers the substance of your enquiries.

Tom: harking back to our recent exchange of views if you haven't already seen it, I suggest you go to my Hintock website http://www.hintockbranch.com/and read my introduction and Ch's 1 and 2.

There you will see a fairly full exposition of my modelling philosophy and I think you will agree, it is the credibilty aspect in all respects that creates the "essence" of Hintock.

Archived