The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Dan, that's all very encouraging. You have the what, where and when and it's then the question of realizing it.

Given that, my only suggestions are that you consider a layout in terms of location in the home, portability-and don't attempt to model the prototype exactly. Representation to my mind is the key and it's more likely to be satisfactorily and easily achieved. Make too some form of an actual start, build a baseboard and lay some track. All that will be a learning experience.

Please feel free to get in touch, by way of a PM, if you think I could help further.

Nothing about my Hintock is exact, it's all representation. To my mind that is what you might aim for.

• RMweb Gold

Dan, that's all very encouraging. You have the what, where and when and it's then the question of realizing it.

Given that, my only suggestions are that you consider a layout in terms of location in the home, portability-and don't attempt to model the prototype exactly. Representation to my mind is the key and it's more likely to be satisfactorily and easier to achieve. Make too some form of an actual start, build a baseboard and lay some track. All that will be a learning experience.

Please feel free to get in touch, by way of a PM, if you think I could help further.

Nothing about my Hintock is exact, it's all representation. To my mind that is what you might aim for.

Sound advice as usual John. For me it is as much about the overall impression as the recreation of the prototype.

I use my modest efforts to relax and divert from every day chaos. I am quite fussy but not overly so.

Rob.

Given that, my only suggestions are that you consider a layout in terms of location in the home, portability-and don't attempt to model the prototype exactly. Representation to my mind is the key and it's more likely to be satisfactorily and easier to achieve. Make too some form of an actual start, build a baseboard and lay some track. All that will be a learning experience.

Hi John,

I am very fortunate to have a 10'x10' shed (means of escape and inspiration room) all insulated and just waiting for me to begin my project. I do have a plan in mind and like you suggested I am not copying the exact prototype. Also as the canals played such a key roll within and alongside the Wisbech and Upwell railway, I very much want to incorporate that into my layout.

I think its always important to be honest and at this point I must confess that my scenic works is very much the part that always seems to fail me. Many Thanks for offer of assistance, I shall PM you nearer the time, if that is ok?.

Hintock is a fab layout and the scenic works you have achieved are just Great .. and seems to get better and better in each and every picture of your modelling journey, Awesome.

Kind Regards

Dan :imsohappy:

Dan, you appear well set up all respects and ready to go. Good fortune to you in the endeavour and it should be an interesting one (no doubt in more ways than one).

I don't know if you have seen it or not but I do have a Hintock website http://www.hintockbranch.com/ and that might be worth a look. There, I describe my approach to the subject both in philosophical and practical matters.

And, PM me at any time. I'm always happy to help.

My regards,

The following three images are the last I have of Melbury and again some buildings on the current Hintock and here seen in a previous life ,will be recognized. As will the track plan appear familiar to some degree.

Re-cycling, the buzz word of today has had its place in my railway world for a long time.

post-3088-0-02002200-1459532858_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-05322100-1459532890_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-40937900-1459532914_thumb.jpg

Lastly a track plan of Melbury, as earlier explained Hintock arose from this so it's not co-incidental there's a close resemblance.

post-3088-0-43487800-1459532945_thumb.jpg

I should too perhaps explain that immediately prior to this plan being adopted, Melbury was in the form of a through layout with another basebaord to the L. As a layout it was never successful and and Melbury became a classic BLT. Things were much better too when I added another 6 or 9" to each board and even more so by adding the further board to the R and featured in post #1303/4.

The folowing three images are the last I have of Melbury and again some buildings in a previous life will be apparent. As will the track plan appear familiar to some degree.

Re-cycling, the buzz word of today has had its place in my railway world for a long time.

attachicon.gifJF102.jpg

attachicon.gifJF103.jpg

attachicon.gifJF105.jpg

Lastly a track plan of Melbury, as earlier explained Hintock arose from this so it's not co-incidental there's a close resemblance.

attachicon.gifJF110-1.jpg

I should too perhaps explain that immediately prior to this plan being adopted, Melbury was in the form of a through layout with another basebaord to the L. As a layout it was never successful and and Melbury became a classic BLT. Things were much better too when I added another 6 or 9" to each board and even more so by adding the further board to the R and featured in post #1304.

I remain utterly charmed by this, as, f course, I am with all your subsequent creations.

The following three images are the last I have of Melbury and again some buildings on the current Hintock and here seen in a previous life ,will be recognized. As will the track plan appear familiar to some degree.

attachicon.gifJF102.jpg

attachicon.gifJF103.jpg

attachicon.gifJF105.jpg

attachicon.gifJF110-1.jpg

I should too perhaps explain that immediately prior to this plan being adopted, Melbury was in the form of a through layout with another basebaord to the L. As a layout it was never successful and and Melbury became a classic BLT. Things were much better too when I added another 6 or 9" to each board and even more so by adding the further board to the R and featured in post #1303/4.

John -I also enjoyed seeing the photos and appreciate the guidance and wisdom you have imparted via recent posts to Dan for example, and to me via my own thread. I find your building construction and the way they are located/sited on the layout with purpose and to add to the overall effect of a busy station, despite the size, educative. There is a lot that can be learnt from studying your approach, and of course, reading your excellent on-line book.

Regards, Andy R

Andy's comment on how well this corner looks is very flattering. In fact it doesn't look like one very much at all. But it's taken some time to produce the transformation as these images demonstrate.

post-3088-0-32541200-1459936514_thumb.jpg

In the beginning it was like this, very straightforward and little imagination apparent.

post-3088-0-92734600-1459936579_thumb.jpg

This was better, and now below we have the present version. Much more imaginative and sophisticated. Also makes much better use of the space.

post-3088-0-58831200-1459936635_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Lovely images,John, as always.

Taking time out from my efforts to catch up with Hintock, which once again supplies more inspiration.

Tremendous.

Rob.

Andy, tarmac it's easier to replicate and with areas of setts around the station building itself. They make a nice contrast and as I did at Hintock.

You can see an example of the tarmac with loose gravel about, in the last image above.

Hardboard bobble side up is a thing I use a lot. You can see it in many of my images.

Dan, I appreciate the inquiry and I'm OK thank you-but busy.

Even so some progress has been made with Port Bredy as the attached illustrate and you and others might like to see what's been going on.

post-3088-0-54188200-1460298389_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-97131400-1460298420_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-89104200-1460298500_thumb.jpg

The additional siding shown in course of laying-in (last image) adds a lot to the operational attractions and equally important the scenic appearance. This it does by leading the eye through the scene and adding balance to the composition of the RH end.

The structures are loosely laid out to see how they might appear.

post-3088-0-22009800-1460673416_thumb.jpg

These two images are posted as an experiment.

My old tried and true point and shoot Nikon Coolpix 5600 has died on me after long and faithful service. These two are among the first I've shot with the Nikon 9900 I'm trying as a replacement.

Clearly I have a lot to learn and on the basis of these results I shall not  be keeping it.

post-3088-0-80053900-1460673432_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen: thank you for your interest in my photographic strivings, yesterday was the first time I used the camera, outside it was overcast and snowing. Consequently the majority of the light source indoor was artificial. The results were as you saw and noted.

Today there is a brisk wind, sunshine and snow showers so a goodly proportion of the light is natural and with indoor some artificial-florescent. The results are as you see below and without any great pains being taken as to the shots themselves.

attachment=700857:014-1.jpg]

post-3088-0-37417700-1460743971_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-24464300-1460743987_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-93166400-1460744004_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-91794900-1460744025_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-91794900-1460744025_thumb.jpg

On these showings I think it fair to try further with the Coolpix 9900. What also I have learned is that being a heavier camera use of the tripod will be essential. More with the camera being also larger some shots I could get before will likely be more difficult if not impossible.

One benefit I think I see is that the camera captures more of the whole larger scene. On the other hand I'll need too see how it does with smaller subjects, as for instance of individual locos.

PS. Just seen the posted images, some have lost their sharpness particularly in the last one. Maybe it's in the production of them here for the actual image is sharp and very nice indeed. I'm a little surprised-and disappointed-at that.

post-3088-0-74534700-1460743950_thumb.jpg

Archived