Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

 

"Humorist" looks just great! Is the footplate staff cleaning the window of the office or talking about salmon fishing? 

 

Quick update on "Sun Castle" if I may. I'm very pleased with the DJH Kit resulted in a very nice model of Thompson's monster mixed traffic pacifics. Lining sheets should arrive today.

 

720253571_003(2).JPG.142d95b7b0cea81f668bcf63682dfa1e.JPG

 

564916406_001(2).JPG.c38d25a5334996d8f6f0ee7721b130d8.JPG

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

Hi Richard

 

Very impressive indeed, I would be dead proud if I had built to your standard.

 

I have also found some odd bits of the single orange line that runs along the footplate line.

 

I know when I applied them to the two Bachmann/ G King A2/3 conversions for me they were a bit of a nightmare.

 

So I over ordered as mistakes were made, I will enclose what I have over as you never know what you made need.

 

PS I liked your comment but cleaning staff at Haymarket cleaned any office windows I believe.

 

Regards

 

David

Edited by landscapes
additional information
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Tonights photos are something a little bit different.

 

For many years my Son-in-Law in a kind sort of way has given my some grief regarding my interest in Steam locomotives and later model railways.

 

Very sadly a few months ago he lost his mother to cancer at a far to early age, when clearing out her house he found some of his old Hornby railway models and line-side equipment.

 

He finally owned up to have these for many years and kept it quite, he ask would any be of use to me sadly only one piece could be used on Haymarket an old Hornby guards Van.

 

It was very basic so for a bit of fun and a small project I decided to try to improve it.

 

The two photo show the model as out of the box and my attempt to make it a bit more realistic.

 

All that remain is to re apply the missing transfers, if anyone knows where I can purchase a set of the appropriate NE guards van transfers it would be appreciated.

 

Regards

 

David

NE Guards Van.jpg

IMG_1934_edited-1.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Todays photo shows PDK A2/1 60510 Robert the Bruce, now that Hornby are producing the A2/2 and A2/3 Pacific's this Class along with the A1/1 are now the only LNER Pacific's not available in RTR form.

 

Regards

 

David

60510_IMG_1948B.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite, the Hornby versions will not produce any LNER period A2/2. They have never done any post war current standard LNER period A4's either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, micklner said:

Not quite, the Hornby versions will not produce any LNER period A2/2. They have never done any post war current standard LNER period A4's either.

Sorry Mick

 

You are quite right, I forgot about the post war liveries.

 

When going to so much trouble to finally produce the A2/2 and A2/3 in RTR form I do not know why they didn't provide at least an example of the A2/2 in LNER post war colours or even I believe Apple Green with British Railways on the tender.

 

Regards

 

David 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 12:28, 30368 said:

Hi David,

 

"Humorist" looks just great! Is the footplate staff cleaning the window of the office or talking about salmon fishing? 

 

Quick update on "Sun Castle" if I may. I'm very pleased with the DJH Kit resulted in a very nice model of Thompson's monster mixed traffic pacifics. Lining sheets should arrive today.

 

720253571_003(2).JPG.142d95b7b0cea81f668bcf63682dfa1e.JPG

 

564916406_001(2).JPG.c38d25a5334996d8f6f0ee7721b130d8.JPG

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

Hi Richard

 

I have no idea why but your last post showing Sun Castle with boiler bands fitted and my reply have both disappeared from the thread?

 

Regards

 

David 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Costs of the alterations for that period, according to the relevant A2/2  thread on here.

 

Makes no sense to me, they have created three versions of the W1, two of which are totally fictious, simply too milk that Loco sales to the utmost ££ . They then ignore any LNER versions(s) of the A2/2 totally , perhaps if the BR ones are good sellers a LNER Version will appear.

 

Strange logic by someone/somewhere at Hornby .

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David,

 

Easily rectified. This is how 60523 looks now:

 

1115129187_004(2).JPG.fe5bc62f0d0778fda95a79d143929ca6.JPG

 

 

2038465105_006(2).JPG.9cad07435e197ce7b35d0438d134922f.JPG

 

Will make a start on the tender shortly.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

PS Many thanks David for the boiler band transfers!

 

 

Edited by 30368
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

 

Easily rectified. This is how 60523 looks now:

 

1115129187_004(2).JPG.fe5bc62f0d0778fda95a79d143929ca6.JPG

 

 

2038465105_006(2).JPG.9cad07435e197ce7b35d0438d134922f.JPG

 

Will make a start on the tender shortly.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

PS Many thanks David for the boiler band transfers!

 

 

Hi Richard

 

you have created a really stunning model.

 

I do have more boiler band transfers should you need any more.

 

Out of interest who’s etched nameplates did you use.

 

looking forward to seeing Photos of the  finished locomotive complete with its tender.
 

Regards

 

David

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

David,

 

Thanks so much. I try to improve with each new build. With effort "Great Northern" should be even better!

 

The nameplates are by Modelmaster.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

 

Easily rectified. This is how 60523 looks now:

 

1115129187_004(2).JPG.fe5bc62f0d0778fda95a79d143929ca6.JPG

 

 

2038465105_006(2).JPG.9cad07435e197ce7b35d0438d134922f.JPG

 

Will make a start on the tender shortly.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

PS Many thanks David for the boiler band transfers!

 

 

It maybe my Computer screen, Sun Castle looks in need of at least one more coat of BR Green paint ? I had presumed you would do this before the transfers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mick,

 

Yes the paint looks a bit dull (colour is tricky - so dependent on light) but it has had three coats (on top of the etching primer) which is as far as I like to take it without starting to wash out detail. I am attempting to create the state the loco was in when pictured by Keith Pirt at Grantham on page 74 of Keith's Granthan Colour Portfolio (Book Law Publications).

 

My approach being to use weathering powders and then clean these off with Pledge Multi Surface wax polish. I then gently polish the main surface areas with various implements (cotton buds large and small even tissue). This creates a quite polished (indeed the degree of polish is variable) surface but leaves weathering powder in the nooks and crannies where the cleaners found it a bit tricky. Lastly I use various Humbrol stains (on valve gear/lubricators etc) to give the loco that well oiled in service look.

 

Knowing some of your work I'm sure you know all this, your painting and weathering is first class.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

PS Perhaps a Southern modeller can't be trusted with one of Mr Thompson's finest???

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi Mick,

 

Yes the paint looks a bit dull (colour is tricky - so dependent on light) but it has had three coats (on top of the etching primer) which is as far as I like to take it without starting to wash out detail. I am attempting to create the state the loco was in when pictured by Keith Pirt at Grantham on page 74 of Keith's Granthan Colour Portfolio (Book Law Publications).

 

My approach being to use weathering powders and then clean these off with Pledge Multi Surface wax polish. I then gently polish the main surface areas with various implements (cotton buds large and small even tissue). This creates a quite polished (indeed the degree of polish is variable) surface but leaves weathering powder in the nooks and crannies where the cleaners found it a bit tricky. Lastly I use various Humbrol stains (on valve gear/lubricators etc) to give the loco that well oiled in service look.

 

Knowing some of your work I'm sure you know all this, your painting and weathering is first class.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

PS Perhaps a Southern modeller can't be trusted with one of Mr Thompson's finest???

Hi Richard

 

What ever you decide to do regarding the final finish to Sun Castle as I have stated already I do have more boiler bands should you need any.

 

When weathering I use a mix of Humbrol No 33 Matt Black with No 62 Matt Leather and a hint of 27004 Metalcote Gunmetal the last usually dry brushed over various areas to bring out highlights.

 

Its mainly taken from Tim Shackleton's DVD's and books, it works well for me and Haymarket's Pacific's in the 1950's were in a very reasonable condition from a cleaning point of view so weathering it kept to a minimum.

 

Looking forward to seeing Sun Castle and tender in its finished glory.

 

Regards

 

David

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning

 

Today with have the J36 snow plough being removed from the MPD by road for some repair works, this is an area of the layout not seen very often. 

 

I believe the building directly behind the lorry was used as a booking on lobby, running foreman's office and drivers bothy

 

Regards

 

David

 

 

IMG_1952B.jpg

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi Mick,

 

Yes the paint looks a bit dull (colour is tricky - so dependent on light) but it has had three coats (on top of the etching primer) which is as far as I like to take it without starting to wash out detail. I am attempting to create the state the loco was in when pictured by Keith Pirt at Grantham on page 74 of Keith's Granthan Colour Portfolio (Book Law Publications).

 

My approach being to use weathering powders and then clean these off with Pledge Multi Surface wax polish. I then gently polish the main surface areas with various implements (cotton buds large and small even tissue). This creates a quite polished (indeed the degree of polish is variable) surface but leaves weathering powder in the nooks and crannies where the cleaners found it a bit tricky. Lastly I use various Humbrol stains (on valve gear/lubricators etc) to give the loco that well oiled in service look.

 

Knowing some of your work I'm sure you know all this, your painting and weathering is first class.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

PS Perhaps a Southern modeller can't be trusted with one of Mr Thompson's finest???

I can see what you trying to do. My concern is the paint as I suspected is very thin were the airbrush has failed to reach e.g nooks and crannies , a normal problem with a airbrush.

Personally I would paint the "thin" areas with light coats a couple of times  BR Green, before weathering . Otherwise the thin paint areas will  still show through the weathering as lighter patches when they should be darker. The Sandfillers I believe are Black in BR days as well.

Good luck

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much Mick for the advice. There are one or two areas where the paint is a little thin so will give that some thought. Regarding the sand filler brackets. I struggled to find an absolutely clear colour picture to confirm but on those that I do have they seem to be green. I will continue to search and if anyone else can advise I will be happy to change them, frankly, it would have been easier if they were black.

 

I note that some A2/3's and all the A1s had a plate that extended from the boiler cladding to the running plate adjacent to the sand fillers and this was green.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Thanks very much Mick for the advice. There are one or two areas where the paint is a little thin so will give that some thought. Regarding the sand filler brackets. I struggled to find an absolutely clear colour picture to confirm but on those that I do have they seem to be green. I will continue to search and if anyone else can advise I will be happy to change them, frankly, it would have been easier if they were black.

 

I note that some A2/3's and all the A1s had a plate that extended from the boiler cladding to the running plate adjacent to the sand fillers and this was green.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

Hi Richard

 

I have had a good look through all my coloured photos of A2/3's and its very difficult to see for sure exactly what colour the sandfillers are but my opinion I think Mick is correct they do tend to look black.

 

I enclose below a coloured photo I have found which is the clearest indication I can find and they do look black to me.

 

Ironically the photo is of 60523 Sun Castle, I do hope I am not breaking any copyright laws by down loading it and I will be happy to remove the photo if need be.

 

Regards

 

David

 

 

60523-12.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks David. Thanks for the picture. I see green tones on the sandbox brackets as I do in my colour pictures but I agree, Mick is probably right. So when I weather this will be a particulaly mucky area!!

 

Couple more pictures. Loco is vertually complete minus various front steps. I will weather after the tender is built so that the "dirt level" is consistant.

 

I have really enjoyed building this loco. The DJH kit is really first class and is fairly easy to build compared to some. It has awakened a real desire to build more of those magnificant LNER pacifics.

 

145695696_002(2).JPG.06b903c2fb750e253c1382765cbf8bad.JPG

 

2088052575_003(2).JPG.3b5f166e4201240fc6a74e4550776c18.JPG

 

Jut a minor point, I have built "Sun Castle" as I remember it in its last few years of service so I have had to fit a speedometer drive on the rear axle and an AWS Receiver to the front of the bogie.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Thanks David. Thanks for the picture. I see green tones on the sandbox brackets as I do in my colour pictures but I agree, Mick is probably right. So when I weather this will be a particulaly mucky area!!

 

Couple more pictures. Loco is vertually complete minus various front steps. I will weather after the tender is built so that the "dirt level" is consistant.

 

I have really enjoyed building this loco. The DJH kit is really first class and is fairly easy to build compared to some. It has awakened a real desire to build more of those magnificant LNER pacifics.

 

145695696_002(2).JPG.06b903c2fb750e253c1382765cbf8bad.JPG

 

2088052575_003(2).JPG.3b5f166e4201240fc6a74e4550776c18.JPG

 

Jut a minor point, I have built "Sun Castle" as I remember it in its last few years of service so I have had to fit a speedometer drive on the rear axle and an AWS Receiver to the front of the bogie.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

 

 

 

Hi Richard

 

Sun Castle looks superb, although Hornby are bringing out their own A2/3 in RTR I doubt it will have the detail of your model and the thought you built it yourself.

 

And I am not sure if the RTR models will be fitted with a speedometer cable.

 

I agree with you and would do the same regarding the sandfillers just cover them under a good layer of weathering, the area they are located I imagine would have always been covered in grease and grime.

 

A great job, please post photos of completed model when ready.

 

Regards

 

David

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Thanks David. Thanks for the picture. I see green tones on the sandbox brackets as I do in my colour pictures but I agree, Mick is probably right. So when I weather this will be a particulaly mucky area!!

 

Couple more pictures. Loco is vertually complete minus various front steps. I will weather after the tender is built so that the "dirt level" is consistant.

 

I have really enjoyed building this loco. The DJH kit is really first class and is fairly easy to build compared to some. It has awakened a real desire to build more of those magnificant LNER pacifics.

 

145695696_002(2).JPG.06b903c2fb750e253c1382765cbf8bad.JPG

 

2088052575_003(2).JPG.3b5f166e4201240fc6a74e4550776c18.JPG

 

Jut a minor point, I have built "Sun Castle" as I remember it in its last few years of service so I have had to fit a speedometer drive on the rear axle and an AWS Receiver to the front of the bogie.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

 

 

 

 

THAt's a damned impressive bit of work there Richard - Very  well done!

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2020 at 16:28, 30368 said:

Thanks David. Thanks for the picture. I see green tones on the sandbox brackets as I do in my colour pictures but I agree, Mick is probably right. So when I weather this will be a particulaly mucky area!!

 

Couple more pictures. Loco is vertually complete minus various front steps. I will weather after the tender is built so that the "dirt level" is consistant.

 

I have really enjoyed building this loco. The DJH kit is really first class and is fairly easy to build compared to some. It has awakened a real desire to build more of those magnificant LNER pacifics.

 

145695696_002(2).JPG.06b903c2fb750e253c1382765cbf8bad.JPG

 

2088052575_003(2).JPG.3b5f166e4201240fc6a74e4550776c18.JPG

 

Jut a minor point, I have built "Sun Castle" as I remember it in its last few years of service so I have had to fit a speedometer drive on the rear axle and an AWS Receiver to the front of the bogie.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

 

 

 

 

This looks a fine model & I look forward to seeing it complete with tender . The DJH kit is a fine model apart from the lack of detail on the front frames which you have remedied very well . With regard to the sandbox plates , as far as I am aware they were always painted black  ( Tony Wright will no doubt be able to confirm this ) . 60523 received her Smith Stones speedometer at a general repair out 21/12/61 , so close to the end of her career . At the time she was allocated to Doncaster shed (36A ) before finishing her life at New England .

   Hope this is of interest .

                              Ray . 

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ray,

 

Thanks very much for your comments and all the useful information. Looks like I will have to paint the sandbox plates then! I saw the loco a number of times in 1961-63 at Kings Cross, Doncaster and Peterborough. I have fitted a 36A shedplate. 

 

I plan to build a Crownline A1/1 next.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress with "Sun Chariot" and a monocrome picture using this mornings natural light.

 

735078946_003(2).JPG.b31e6e4b72503e0ee3e63cbb07189c13.JPG

 

1413423313_002(2).JPG.46f2ad364b4426f1df3e2b1d332b6da9.JPG

 

Many thanks Dave for letting me butt in!

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard b

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2020 at 18:13, 30368 said:

Hi Ray,

 

Thanks very much for your comments and all the useful information. Looks like I will have to paint the sandbox plates then! I saw the loco a number of times in 1961-63 at Kings Cross, Doncaster and Peterborough. I have fitted a 36A shedplate. 

 

I plan to build a Crownline A1/1 next.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

The Crownline A.1/1 I found quite pleasant to build ; not as good as a DJH kit but still decent . With apologies to David here's mine on shed on Sowerby Road M.P.D.

                  Regards ,

                        Ray .

 

P1010283a.jpg

P1010285a.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for the great pictures Ray, much appreciated. Plenty of pacifics on shed then!

 

My planned or rather re installed layout is of Basingstoke 70D. For me the sheds were always the most interesting part of the railway.

 

Your "Great Northern" looks very good. I have built a fair number of PDK kits so the Crownline A1/1 should be fairly strait forward as you suggest.

 

Kind regards,

 

Richard B

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.