Fifteenth Anniversary Issue - Model Rail October 2012

dibber25

As the number of pages well, sorry, but you can't sell an advert to a MODELLING trader and then exclude him from the count of MODELLING content. I'm sure even 'rivet counters' can appreciate that.

CHRIS LEIGH

Interesting point Chris however it could be construed that Model Rail is not compliant with the requirements of the Trade Descriptions Act which states:-

"The rules make it an offence to mislead consumers about goods and services. Misleading practices could include:

• untruthful advertising
  • leaving out important information
  • deceptive after-sales information "

XF

Interesting point Chris however it could be construed that Model Rail is not compliant with the requirements of the Trade Descriptions Act which states:-

"The rules make it an offence to mislead consumers about goods and services. Misleading practices could include:

• untruthful advertising
  • leaving out important information
  • deceptive after-sales information "

XF

Not something I really want to debate but taken to its logical conclusion you would have to define the words 'modelling content'. On that basis you could argue that almost every page of the magazine is NOT modelling content just as easily as you could argue that every page IS modelling content. Can't really believe that anyone would want to split hairs that finely, or that anyone would really be misled by the wording. I certainly can't see what 'important information' has been left out.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

With bigger pictures what about swinging them round 90 degrees so they are on one page?No doubt someone will come on and say that would kill the enjoyment of reading the mag having to turn the magazine :O .Great issue though I've enjoyed it so far.

I thinking turning them round is an excellent idea; then you could run a scalpel along the crease and lift them out to decorate the Railway Room...nice!!

My copy arrived while I was away and I've only had a brief peek. The perfect-bound format is a distinct improvement and so is the better paper! I will pack the mag to take with me to read properly in a guest house somewhere in Minehead at the weekend.

I did have a read of George Dent's article on doing up the Bachmann Bulleids. It looks to be a pretty thorough job with some useful ideas. However, is it me or has the question of the glazing been covered incompletely? I noticed the bit about the glazing strips being slid out but nothing about them, or a better substitute, being added.

Chris

I am glad read that the paper quality of the Model Rail has improved as I just don't like any magazine printed on lower quality paper and tend not the purchase them. That said I saw the twin magazine offer in WHSmiths today I only did not purchase them as it was bagged -the whys and wherefores have been done to death on RMWeb many other forums so no further comment needed!

The revamped Model Rail appears to have had a good reception here so I will purchase a copy next time I am in town

XF

• RMweb Gold

ive been searching everywhere for the latest issue for the last week after looking at the contents run down via the rmweb mobile on the iPhone but to no avail, now ive looked at the thread on the full site version i can see the release date is in the subtitle, D'oh!

ive been searching everywhere for the latest issue for the last week after looking at the contents run down via the rmweb mobile on the iPhone but to no avail, now ive looked at the thread on the full site version i can see the release date is in the subtitle, D'oh!

It was in WHSmith Maidenhead today.

XF

I purchased a copy of the re-vamped Model Rial certainly and improvement and the some of the page layouts remind me of another model railway magazine - nothing wrong with that as it means the information is claer and easy to find.

Positives

• "Lots of How To..," articles which are very useful
  • Nice photos by Mr Nevard not overdone and devoid of repetitive cloud formations!
  • Inspiration article good article - I am sure I have seen that word somewhere else :read: !

Negatives

• Paper quality is better but falls short of some other more glossy magazine not sue if this is the reason why the Widnes Road and Dragonby photos appeared have over saturated blues and greens I am sure Chris's originals did not have this problem.
  • The same photos of 4 members appear twice and Mr Leigh 3 times - and a lot of these photos every very month! Are you trying to be like Cheryl Cole, Jordan etc? Is this not a little OTT and you never age!! LOL!

Overall I enjoyed the magazine - I look forward to seeing you the 30 year edition

XF

• RMweb Premium

I have Model Rail to thank for getting me back into the hobby in 1998. No, I haven't done my sums wrong - the first copy I bought was number 3... Summer 1998. I couldn't get hold of the first 2 issues, but later saw Dave Shakespeare's masterpiece and that was it!

I also remember a certain Chris Leigh telling me that "You can do it" and demonstrating, with the old MR style in multi-pictures, how to build and vegetate a hill/embankment.

So, Dibber. Thanks for all the motivation you gave me and I look forward to the 15th anniversary issue. You must be doing something right, as I've bought all the copies from issue 3 onwards. One hell of a pile of material now!

Jeff

I have Model Rail to thank for getting me back into the hobby in 1998. No, I haven't done my sums wrong - the first copy I bought was number 3... Summer 1998. I couldn't get hold of the first 2 issues, but later saw Dave Shakespeare's masterpiece and that was it!

I also remember a certain Chris Leigh telling me that "You can do it" and demonstrating, with the old MR style in multi-pictures, how to build and vegetate a hill/embankment.

So, Dibber. Thanks for all the motivation you gave me and I look forward to the 15th anniversary issue. You must be doing something right, as I've bought all the copies from issue 3 onwards. One hell of a pile of material now!

Jeff

Great mag as always, cant beleive iv been reading it for 15 years! i started on issue 2, so just ahead of Physicsman (anyone got a spare No1 ;)?) . Although sometimes issues dont look too interesting to me i always end up learning/wanting to do something and i cant thank the team enough for keeping my interest all these years and encouraging me to have a go at stuff, i think one of my first 'projects' was the stretching a lima deltic to convert into DP2 with A1 overlays from an earlyish issue and since then iv never looked back at chopping stuff up!

Heres to 15 more years!

Cheers

James

Started reading this in 2004 (got the January 2004 issue with Tetley Mills on, in the old Derby WH Smiths!), and have been reading on and off, normally collecting issues from GCR's Emporium - I can't believe it's been 15 years! Good luck for the next 15, and hopefully even longer!

The same photos of 4 members appear twice and Mr Leigh 3 times - and a lot of these photos every very month! Are you trying to be like Cheryl Cole, Jordan etc? Is this not a little OTT and you never age!! LOL!

Yeah, but being editor is really stressful ... you probably don't realise, but the picture of Chris which repeatedly appears was actually taken when he was 25 ;)

I really like the revamped mag and think they achieve a good balance of how-to, review and layout features. Certainly the reviews are usually leagues ahead of other mags and I find the icons and rating system pretty good.

I did have to smile reading the 15th Anniversary article though ... only 3 all new products launched in 1997 ... how on earth did we cope!!! It is sad how the kit manufacturers don't get much of a look in anymore when it comes to reviews etc.

• RMweb Premium

I really like the revamped mag and think they achieve a good balance of how-to, review and layout features. Certainly the reviews are usually leagues ahead of other mags and I find the icons and rating system pretty good.

Totally agree Jack. So much so that, after 15 years I've finally taken out a subscription. I think the 26 issues for the price of 13 is a bit of a no-brainer - so why haven't I done it previously?!! :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The track plans this month and last month are very clever takes on the old six by four format, but I'm not convinced they'd be very practical without access to all four sides.

Maybe the assumption is that 6' x 4' is sufficiently "small" and portable that access to all 4 sides is a given. I have to agree that Paul Lunn is inventive!

Jeff

Archived