Fifteenth Anniversary Issue - Model Rail October 2012

dibber25

MR174 Contents:

Guest editorial by Chris Leigh

News: Hornby 2-8-0Ts and Hatton's Beyer-Garratt. Plus we've got exclusive pictures of Kernow's Thumper DEMU taken in our studio.

Reviews: Bachmann SR brake van and Ixion 'O' gauge Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T

Widnes Road OO layout

Modelling railtours

6 by 4 layout designs

Looking back at 1997

Hungerford EM gauge layout

Model Rail Live preview

Dragonby N gauge layout

Workbench: How to -

fit replacement wheelsets

Build a signal kit

Build a cassette fiddle yard

Improve Bachmann Bulleid coaches

Model a cornfield

Make your own buildings 2

Improve a Beattie Well tank

PLUS Spencer Pollard's Finishing School.

All the regulars including, Q&A, Show and Tell, Exhibition Diary, Backscene.

A quick Google and I found that Dragonby is indeed the much missed Acton Main Line (remember, I don't like N gauge or "modern image" :no: ), in case anyone else gets the deja vu feeling.

Ed

Ah, but 'moved' by magic to a different part of the country.

Dragonby (Action Main Line) is beautifully maintained, its present custodian(s) has managed to keep the layout as if it's just been built by constant TLC. It is very much an ACTION mainline and can be enjoyed for real at Model Rail Live in just a few weeks.

Why did I just read that as the "Action Man" line? - should have gone to Specsavers!

Moving eyes and injection molded underpants in N gauge ... now that would be impressive modelling ;)

Good grief! Is it really 15 years? I do remember the first issue with a picture of a Virgin Class 90, then the latest thing! I'm afraid I stopped being a regular buyer sometime ago . I know its probably just me , but I got fed up with the "top 10" approach to everything and to me the rather tedious in depth aticles on glue etc, I suppose handy if you are looking at what glue to buy at the time , but is that a huge proportion of the readership?

Anyway, regardless , congratulations on reaching 15. I may have a browse for old times sake

Please, do have a browse. If you haven't seen a copy for a while, you'll find it very different from the magazine you remember - and I think you'll find it is better than you expected. This is a 164pp issue bagged with another supplement, too, so there's lots of content and should be something in there that you'll enjoy.

CHRIS LEIGH

Do I need to say it?

Ed

I'm sure somebody will, despite there being no need.

Trawling through a pile of mags the other day, I found the first ever Model Rail supplement - the one with Exford on the front. I remember being super-impressed with the Hornby 37 running on Lima 50 bogies on the cover.

How times change.

Can't actually remember when we last did a 'top ten' thing. Maybe I just pass over them without noticing. Safe bet it would be only one item per issue, probably no more than 2pp out of 164pp. Amazing the way some of these things make such an impression! They are very useful to newcomers - which we try to encourage - and keeping products in the public eye is part of a magazine's role.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I actually find the "Top Ten" articles quite useful, mainly due to the fact that most of the products I would have purchased BEFORE the mag comes out turn out to be about number 5 (which says a lot about my personal judgement!!) so I usually change my shopping list accordingly...

Congratulations on 15 years' hard work well received...looking forward to the Dragonby article this month especially!

David

This was the first railway magazine I bought and it was what lured me into making model railways my main hobby and so lured me back into it after a sizable break. Plus you' ve given me the courage to have a go. Congratulations on reaching ur 15th anniversary long may you continue.

Big James

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a good issue with some excellent articles including a good feature on weathering wagons plus the excellent piece on 'Hungerford'. However there seem to be one or two gremlins in captioning such as omitting the running numberof the GW liveried 5205 tank and suggesting it will have curved frames - or does this mean the 5205 is to be released in two version? More amusing, in an unusual manner, is the caption on page 44 which describes a building at Newark Sewage Works (albeit in the distance at edge of frame) as a 'signalbox' - alas a much longer lens would be needed to capture the building which replaced the ex Great Northern 'box at Newark Crossing as it is at Doncaster.

But nit-picking aside it looks like a good issue and it will be accompanying me on holiday later this week, the ideal antidote for the darkening evenings.

• RMweb Premium

Having received it this morning I can confirm it is another superb edition; Chris Leigh's intro raised a smile as did the Backscene columns too, but one plea MR:

Now you've introduced the binding, can you put the pictures either right or left of centre, and align the headings accordingly, otherwise the centre two cms. disappear into the valley and you can't see the detail. In the Workbench feature on modelling a cornfield the main picture in the centre is so squeezed by the dip in the middle it's hard to see the said cornfield in context.

Also, and this could be my random-focussing eyesight, at one point there's a headline which says 'Improve Bachmann's bullied coaches' but due to the curve of the page and the 'B' disappearing into the binding I thought it said 'Improve Coachmann's coaches' and I immediately thought well Larry ain't gonna like that...!!

Not bad but I cant find 164 pages of modelling as quoted on the cover. !!!!!

Adverts seem to start at page 104 modelling stops, is it just my copy or is every copy the same. I do wish they would quote exact numbers, even if it for the rivet counters.

• RMweb Premium

Not bad but I cant find 164 pages of modelling as quoted on the cover. !!!!!

Adverts seem to start at page 104 modelling stops, is it just my copy or is every copy the same. I do wish they would quote exact numbers, even if it for the rivet counters.

"Adverts seem..." - but that's where I start reading... :read: so I guess I'm happy for the designation "164 pages of modelling" - don't wish to start an argument, just seeing it from a different point of view - the view from the rear.

I received my first subscription copy in the post today and so far, apart from the ads and "1997", I have only managed to browse the other 101 pages but I do have the rest of the month...and what a good read it looks - thumpers, BTWs, SR brake van, Widnes Road in the dark, Rail Tours, loads of weathering, a steam railmotor, reminders to go and see assorted sizes on 22-23 September (hotel booked), and my photo of the month the O gauge Hudswell, Clarke 0-6-0ST pages 16-17.

A very promising issue indeed.

We are looking into what can be done to improve the appearance of pictures where they go across the gutter. They are already 'stretched' and it may be that we can stretch them a bit more, but a big DPS picture HAS to go across the gutter and that loss of picture in the crease is the down side of perfect binding. The up side is that the centre pages don't fall out.

As the number of pages well, sorry, but you can't sell an advert to a MODELLING trader and then exclude him from the count of MODELLING content. I'm sure even 'rivet counters' can appreciate that.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived