Dapol N Gauge Western

TomE

Massive, just absolutely amazing! Really cannot wait to get my hands on these, had my new WR layout Barton Road out today for it's first show, Warships and Hymeks abound, great fun but it's really missing a filthy, last-legs 22 or two stumbling about and the elegance of a Western or three sweeping past on there round the long curves...! Chance of getting one or two at the N Gauge Soc AGM on the 1st Saturday of June, perhaps?... Either way, I'm happy to wait as long as it takes. Really enthused about these, as I've said before, if they run as well as they look, they'll be awesome.

Hi guys,

I've been having a look at the chassis today and it's a milling job for a DCC sound speaker i'm afraid.

However to help things along I have taken sections of the cad/cam and added accurate computer generated measurements to the only area I can see that will take a reasonable speaker. 

I've put them here so that those that wish to convert will know what they have to do to achieve this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-52472400-1368624809_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-86398000-1368624824_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-23368600-1368624837_thumb.jpg

I have managed to get my grubby mits on one of the new Dapol Westerns in order to look at how to convert it to 2FS and super detail it and I have to say I'm very impressed. Cosmetically its going to leave me with very little to do as Dapol have really captured the elegant, powerful look of the prototype. Beyond a new name and number (I have a lovely picture of 1039 Western King at Bath Green Park), DG couplings, front end plumbing and weathering it won't need touching. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2517a.jpg

Converting it to 2FS may be a bit more involved as Dapol have come up with a very effective bogie design which gives the reliability of split axle pickup on the distinctive inside framed Western bogie. The problem is it traps the wheels in and I haven't, yet, worked out how to get them out for turning- but I will. Dave Jones has also promised to get on the case when he returns from the States.

attachicon.gifIMG_2528a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2531a.jpg

Oh, and it runs very nicely as well. Those waiting for a top draw Western will not be disappointed.

Jerry

If they are like the design of the Dapol Hall and Pannier, you can just pull the wheels with their metal stubs off the plastic axles. You just have to pull hard.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

If they are like the design of the Dapol Hall and Pannier, you can just pull the wheels with their metal stubs off the plastic axles. You just have to pull hard. Chris

Hi Chris they look to be pretty similar but I've given them a serious tug and no movement. I'm going to rig up some sort of wheel puller and have another go.

I have a pannier and they come off a lot easier.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to get my grubby mits on one of the new Dapol Westerns in order to look at how to convert it to 2FS and super detail it and I have to say I'm very impressed.

wow - looks great on your photo plank Jerry - can't wait to see it on Highbury/Tucking....:yes: :yes:

Hi Chris they look to be pretty similar but I've given them a serious tug and no movement. I'm going to rig up some sort of wheel puller and have another go.

I have a pannier and they come off a lot easier.

Jerry

I found the wheels on the Hall were a lot tighter than on the Pannier.

But perhaps best to have Dave confirm you can pull them off just in case they are different.

Chris

Any news on the Westerns yet? Can't wait to get my hands on one!

I had an interesting conversation the other week with a guy who sorts out schedules for oil tankers.  Apart from me boggling a little at the USD1 million cost of getting one with cargo from the US to the UK, he said that the weather can alter the shedule of the average cargo ship (including container ships) by up to 100%- in other words (and simplified a bit) the ships have to slow down in severe weather to stay afloat and to avoid using that much fuel they run out and make unscheduled bunkering stops.  Even the liner we were on at the time cut its speed by 25% when the wave height reached 20 feet.

No small wonder when the ship with Dapol's stuff leaves port its arrival time in the UK is at best a guess........

All the very best

Les

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dapol are suggesting on its club site that westerns Start July with the Blue full yellow ends  2D-003-000 , D1005 with others following closely, noted to check cat numbers as revised to cope with new number scheme

ND202A and 202AD now 2D-003- 000 for D1005  BFYE

ND202B and 202BD now 2D-003- 001 for D1029  MSYE

ND202C and 202CD now 2D-003- 002 for D1038 GSYE (not D1005 in cat this was a typo)

ND202D and 202ND now 2D-003- 003 for D1056  MFYE (not D1005 in cat this was a typo)

(...) my thoughts

Well known Liverpool retailer shows corrected codes when I looked on site.

robert

edited to shoe D1056 FULL yellow end - my own typo -so easy to do sorry for any heart failures caused.

Robert    

HI

I am writing this on be hearth of my father who still lives in the 60's and PC is the thing in the conner!, My Father brought two Dapol westerns,ran both of them for a while,all OK.

Next time my father ran one of them all the lights had stopped working,?, Who would my Father have to send it back too to have it looked at?.

Thank you

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Darren 01 - did try a PM but server issues I think at this time. 

Take/send  back to retailer - let them know you are coming or that you are going to send it back and just before doing it tell Dapol at Chirk - telephone number on packaging.  All especially if less than 12months old - and tell them if this is the case.

The lights might be a case of infantile failure where a component "dies" at start up and is a risk of even the best electronics and can slip past QC tests.

Robert

To mods - is this thread item #87 and reply better in OO western thread or ???  -thanks   

• 1 month later...

Hi,

As a courtesy thing for the group that own'Champion', we decided that they will have rights to produce 'their' loco in any colour and any gauge.

You might find possible news on this shortly.

(They allowed us unlimited access to Champion for scanning etc).

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

Osborns Models' N-gauge western is D1000, in desert sand, with SYP... see here:

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/nd-osb003-osborns-exclusive-Dapol-western-enterprise-d1000-desert-sand-livery-12625-p.asp

Mind you D1015 would be great to see from the owners!

Cheers,

Ixion.

It's nearly here! Osborn's have checked my card details today because they are expecting them to arrive in Devon tomorrow, Friday 30th August 2013.

Richard

It's nearly here! Osborn's have checked my card details today because they are expecting them to arrive in Devon tomorrow, Friday 30th August 2013.

Richard

Is that just D1000, or some of the standard maroon and blue examples as well ?

Is that just D1000, or some of the standard maroon and blue examples as well ?

Sorry, Steve - I don't know the answer to this one, as I only had D1000 on order, which has now been sent on its way by Osborns! From their confidence yesterday that they would get them packed and posted out today, it may 'just' be their Exclusive batch of sandies! There's no sign yet of any 'ordinary' (hold on - how can I call a Western ordinary?) ones newly arrived into Liverpool's stock room yet.

Hope you don't have to wait too long now!

Richard

Sorry, Steve - I don't know the answer to this one, as I only had D1000 on order, which has now been sent on its way by Osborns! From their confidence yesterday that they would get them packed and posted out today, it may 'just' be their Exclusive batch of sandies! There's no sign yet of any 'ordinary' (hold on - how can I call a Western ordinary?) ones newly arrived into Liverpool's stock room yet.

Hope you don't have to wait too long now!

Richard

I've had an email today too from Osborn's saying my limited edition D1000 'Western Enterprise' in desert sand livery has been dispatched, just looked on Dapol website & the others are now showing September except D1056 'Western Venturer' (I think they mean Sultan) in maroon livery with full yellow ends is showing October!

Richard

Hi Tricky-CRS,

Osborns Models' N-gauge western is D1000, in desert sand, with SYP... see here:

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/nd-osb003-osborns-exclusive-Dapol-western-enterprise-d1000-desert-sand-livery-12625-p.asp

Mind you D1015 would be great to see from the owners!

Cheers,

Ixion.

D1015 'Western Champion' in Golden Ochre livery is a must!

Archived