Edgehill electrified flyover, wavertree technology park

Home_Signal

It looks as though it could be 'Gullet' sidings. Up and Down Wapping sidings are shown in Quail as being the two roads that end inside Crown Street Tunnel. Gullet Sidings are shown as being the five electrified through sidings between them and Speleland Road depot.

The Gullet sidings, although electrified, have been isolated for about 10 years. I think the Up & Down Wapping sidings are still 'live'.

There is also a stop board at the Crown Street end of the Gullet sidings, where you will need the signallers permission before going out onto the Down Wapping.

• 2 weeks later...

Think the "Gullet Sidings" were also used at one time for MGR trains to run round from the docks to Fiddlers. Any such move nowadays can now use the reinstated chord from Olive Mount to Edge Lane.

Anyone got any photos of Top Of Grid and Foot Of Grid GF (EH No19 & 20?)

Edited by RELIEF SIGNALMAN

when the class 20's where operating they used to drop off or attach HAA wagons at the gullet sidings as there was a maximum amount that could be taken on the Bootle branch

27 MGR Edge Hill/Gladstone Dock with 2 x 20 or 45 MGR with 4 x 20. 36 MGR and 2 x 20 Edge Hill/Fiddlers. 

• RMweb Gold

Think the "Gullet Sidings" were also used at one time for MGR trains to run round from the docks to Fiddlers. Any such move nowadays can now use the reinstated chord from Olive Mount to Edge Lane.

Anyone got any photos of Top Of Grid and Foot Of Grid GF (EH No19 & 20?)

They still are used for such moves, but they are only used for empties coming via the low level, this weekend coming they will be used again as the Chat Moss is shut at Huyton so all coal via the low level.

19 and 20 were huts iirc. I've seen a photo of 19 with the nameboard hanging over the ends.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

sorry to hijack this rather excellent thread, but I need some help with my ageing mind please.

in 1995 I had the fortune to be on the class 33 (double headed) + 56036 (on the tail) 'Gladstone Bag' railtour to the area taking in Gladstone Dock through the 'Bootle bomb alley'.

I remember we visited a coal staithes/sidings area near Edgehill and went to the end of what was allowed on the line.

I cannot remember exactly and hope one of you might be able to rescue my be-fuddled memory?

cheers and sorry once again.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

sorry to hijack this rather excellent thread, but I need some help with my ageing mind please.

in 1995 I had the fortune to be on the class 33 (double headed) + 56036 (on the tail) 'Gladstone Bag' railtour to the area taking in Gladstone Dock through the 'Bootle bomb alley'.

I remember we visited a coal staithes/sidings area near Edgehill and went to the end of what was allowed on the line.

I cannot remember exactly and hope one of you might be able to rescue my be-fuddled memory?

cheers and sorry once again.

Dave

I remember doing a tour similar to that. Will have to look back through my photos to see if it was that one.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/90s/950128pt.htm

I believe the gullet sidings and Crown street run round area may have brought in to use morso when the circular goods line and exhibition junction sidings and area closed?

Quite sure it was all relaid about 1982, seems to tie in?

• 1 month later...

There was a comment earlier in this thread, that there don't seem to be any pictures around of the 2 flyovers that crossed the Manchester line from Viaduct Jn over towards Olive Mount and up onto the Grid.

I'd like to echo that comment, as I haven't seen any such pictures anywhere. Even if they were dismantled int the 1960s, surely someone would have taken some pics by then?

I never knew this area until the 1980s, and I'm fascinated to see all your excellent pictures of how it used to be. Keep them coming!

• 2 weeks later...

There was a comment earlier in this thread, that there don't seem to be any pictures around of the 2 flyovers that crossed the Manchester line from Viaduct Jn over towards Olive Mount and up onto the Grid.

I'd like to echo that comment, as I haven't seen any such pictures anywhere. Even if they were dismantled int the 1960s, surely someone would have taken some pics by then?

I never knew this area until the 1980s, and I'm fascinated to see all your excellent pictures of how it used to be. Keep them coming!

I lived opposite what is now Wavertree Technology Park Station Rathbone Road entrance up to the late 1970's. Following the ending of steam in 1968 Edge Hill Shed remained open for a few years as did the Gridiron which was also fed from the viaduct and wired under the electrification scheme but hardly ever used. That entrance used to be the road access and weighbridge with accompanying office to the coal yard that occupied a site beyond the Circular Line. The interior road ran between the railway line and Rathbone Road towards Long Lane but dived under the former roughly opposite Sandown Road, were the new housing has recently be constructed. I believe the road offered direct road access to the shed so it was always reasonably busy. I can remember the road bridge on the Gridiron being demolished fairly quickly after it closed, and about the same time the flyover bridge was also cut up and removed by road through the Rathbone Road entrance but can't put an exact date on it, but my guess would be about 1969/1972 . About the same time or perhaps a little later, the two lines in Olive Mount Cutting adjacent to the Edge Hill shed site were converted to serve the coal yard, and buffer stops just short of the point were the London lines diverged away from the Chat Moss route under the flyover in question. The coal yard remained in use for several years but was wound down as use of coal for the domestic market diminished. The reduction of Chat Moss lines from four to two was as a result of the building of the M62 at Broadgreen where the road bridge supports were built across at least one of the running lines and the station drastically cut back due to a change in the plans for building the motorway further into Liverpool. Originally it was intended to route the M62 along a path on the north side of the railway crossing over Queens Drive by another flyover over the flyover that now exists. Many of the houses between Queens Drive and Mill Lane were purchased for the scheme with the intention that the M62 would follow bridge Mill Lane and onward into Liverpool on the trackbed of the Gridiron to meet up with a proposed bridge crossing at the top of Parliament Street several hundred yards from Edgehill Station. The scheme was curtailed because of local opposition and a lack of funds resulting in the need to find a solution to end the M62 next to Broadgreen Station which is why the layout of the road is as it is now. The Gridiron site was therefore left derelict until Michael Heseltine visited the site following the Toxteth riots of 1981 and suggested that a Technology Park be built to boost local employment. Following formation in 1969 the MPTE devised plans to expand the Merseyrail system one of which was to use build an underground station at Broadgreen and link the Chat Moss line to the old Cheshire Line route which passed under the Chat Moss line next to the road bridge at the eastern end of the station thereby forming two outer loops into the city. Needless to say the plan has never materialised due to a lack of funds and some parts of the northern route have now been blocked, but one the consequences was the bank from Olive Mount Cutting to the flyover was to be protected for future use which could be one of the reasons why Wavertree Technology Park station was constructed by the MPTE to allow it to be reintroduced in the future. Ok, I know it is blocked at the moment by the green bridge road access to the technology party, but this could relatively easy be removed and the road access moved to Rathbone Road which actually might be better. So why does the bank and ramp still exist? Well still on the drawing board is to link the Chat Moss line to the Merseyrail system using one of the old tunnels next to Edge Hill Station and building a short tunnel to like to the Hunts Cross/Southport Line. Fantasy? Perhaps not, the rumour is the new Merseyrail electric stock will be dual equipped to work on 3rd rail and 25kv overhead as any further major extensions, such as Wrexham, Skelmersdale or even Preston are likely to be built at 25kv overhead supply. Should these extensions every happen, the flyover would once again form a very useful purpose in avoiding trains from the Chat Moss route having to cross the London route lines on the level at Edgehill, equally Network Rail might have to look at options for restoring four tracking of the Chat Moss route between Olive Mount Junction and Broadgreen should the Bottle branch be electrified and more freight trains start to move from the Port of Liverpool when the current expansion schemes start to generate additional flows in 18 months time. The Chat Moss route is currently being restored to four tracks from a point just beyond Broadgreen Station to Huyton as part of the North West Electrification/Northern Hub scheme.

Ok so not railway but the M62 does in deed end-start at junction three. Junction one was to be near to St. James church Parliment street.

One issue with the church is that the grave yard is supposedly over capacity, as they had a vicar who was a bit keen to get his grave yard used for a few quid.

Now back to the railways

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...