chadderton ccd

peanuts

Peanuts,

Nothing on the layout of the yard but the pics below were taken in 1985 of the remaining (original) buildings and were used on Arnold's layout 'Tenter Brow' at a later date.

post-1161-0-78647200-1349009044.jpg

post-1161-0-16212700-1349009061.jpg

post-1161-0-36935400-1349009056.jpg

post-1161-0-66194300-1349009052.jpg

post-1161-0-12481900-1349009048.jpg

HTH

08 and half a dozen 16 tonners. Deffo one for the scenic types

could do with finding out what worked it was it an 08 tripped out of Castleton or was it a larger engine 24/5 thinking it may have been run similar to the old target 24 that used to call in at bells wagon works at reddish it would trip out of Dewsnap call at Reddish if required Stockport coal yard then on to Northenden then return back to Dewsnap .

This may help the motive power issue:

chadderton coal yard 08569 shunting 4 (jim carter) 1980's

I've had a sift through boxes (and boxes) of photographs but can't find the Chaddy ones as I recall they were shots looking up into the yard from Hunt lane bridge and down from Broadway. Information which is not a lot of use though if they have been pitched - it is nearly 30 years since they were taken!

31's must have been used occasionally as there is a picture of one at Chadderton in Freight Only Vol. 1. The caption says it was the 7T85 service Sept 2 1985 and HEA's were being used by that time. The picture also shows the small shunter that johnd has mentioned.

I lived just over the St Herberts playing fields and trips to have a look at the CCD from the waste ground between them were pretty common.

I can only remember 08s and 25s working up from Middleton Junction, 24s possibly but I don't have any notes or photos being about 10 at the time!

I do remember an industrial loco, but as to what sort.....................

Now this might seem a bit strange to others on this thread,and I could be completely wrong, but does the name Powery mean anything to a couple of posters?

Now this might seem a bit strange to others on this thread,and I could be completely wrong, but does the name Powery mean anything to a couple of posters?

yes it does and you have spelt it wrong do you know us ?

The day I visited the place in 1986 a Class 47 was working the local trip.

dave was the trip consist just wagons for the ccd or were any other vehicles in the consist ?

heard tales of the trip sometimes carrying the loaded fuel tanks for newton heath depot to be dropped on way back to manchester ?

Peanut

I went to Radclyffe School on Hunt Lane. From my memory, before the miners’ strike the wagon were mainly HTV hoppers, although photos of 16T wagons show these were used as well. At this point I think they were tripped from Ashbury's but I could be wrong about this.

After the miners’ strike the wagons changes exclusively to HBA/HEA air braked hoppers. AS far as I am aware these were loaded in Yorkshire and tripped to Healey Mills. From Healey Mills they ran to Arpley / Walton Old Junction. In the morning there would be an Arpley / Walton Old Junction to Castleton & Heywood speedlink service. The transported engineers wagons to Newton Heath and Castleton. It had a variety of freight wagon going to Standard Wagon at Heywood for service or repair and the HBA/HEA wagons for Chadderton Goods.

The speedlink usually (although not exclusively) ran to Castleton and Heywood first and stopped at Middleton Junction on the way back. Most of the time the engineers wagon and wagon heading back from Standard wagon were left in the sidings at Middleton Junction, while the HEA's were propelled up to Chadderton Goods. Occasionally some of the other engineer’s wagons were also propelled up the branch if there were only a few of them.

The train would stop by a block just before Hunt Lane Bridge. (It can be seen next to the 08 in the flickr picture). Once they had permission to enter the wagon were usually propelled into the middle siding, with the BR loco crossing the coal drop, which the signs said it wasn't supposed to do. The Industrial Shunter would normally be on the short first siding and empty wagons on the long third siding.

Once in the 2nd siding the empties would have their hand brakes released and roll out of the yard, being stopped by the crew once they had passed the 2nd siding. The train engine would then be coupled up to propel the wagons back down the line to Middleton Junction. On some occasion the engine would leave leading the train. The longest train was collected by a 47 which propelled in a brake van and left hauling 14 HEA's with brake defects. They had been collecting in the long 3rd siding for a number of weeks.

The industrial shunter, a Thomas Hill (Rolls Royce) Vanguard, would move two or three HEA's at a time over the coal drop. It had no train brake.

The train ran from Middleton Junction back to Warrington. They could be seen passing through Manchester Victoria, and usually Middleton Junction again as part of the 6E77/7E77 which called at Healey Mills to drop them off.

The last 08 I saw on the line was 08675 which was running late as it was nearly 1pm. I think it was standing in, from either Newton Heath or Castleton, due to a main line engine failure. Most train to Chadderton ran about 8:30am to 10am.

The train was usually worked by classes 25 (occasionally in pairs), mainly 31’s, 37’s (Eastfield’s large logo 37022 being one that stands out), 40’s, 45’s and 47’s all being recorded. I once saw a tamper come up the branch, but what its was tamping I'm not sure as there was very little ballast and most of the sleeper were rotten. The "ballast" seemed to be the remains of the L&Y ash ballast. The conditions of the sleepers made you wonder how a heavy class 40 or 45 managed to get to the yard without spreading the rails.

Most of my records are for 1985 to 1987 when I left school. I'm not sure when the branch closed but a rail map from 1991 shows it OOU (Out Of Use).

thank you very much bruce realy appreciated know that it was oou when i was signaling Rochdale in 1990 as Middleton jn west was burned down not long after i started there same night as some muppet went under the bridge at mumps with his tipper raised caused chaos .

can remember seeing some HAA in there one morning in the mid 80s from the 59 bus on the way to piccadilly .

good veriaty of traction and vehicles for a model getting more interetsed in this by the day need a track plan and more pics now know what you mean about the ash ballast and track spread had a 37 do exactly that in the metalbox sidings at west haugton in 94 whilst at crows nest jn

re raddclyffe school managed to do two urban explores there just before it was demolished but unfortunatly after the pikies had made thier mess nice old building

thank you very much bruce realy appreciated know that it was oou when i was signaling Rochdale in 1990 as Middleton jn west was burned down not long after i started there same night as some muppet went under the bridge at mumps with his tipper raised caused chaos .

can remember seeing some HAA in there one morning in the mid 80s from the 59 bus on the way to piccadilly .

good veriaty of traction and vehicles for a model getting more interetsed in this by the day need a track plan and more pics now know what you mean about the ash ballast and track spread had a 37 do exactly that in the metalbox sidings at west haugton in 94 whilst at crows nest jn

re raddclyffe school managed to do two urban explores there just before it was demolished but unfortunatly after the pikies had made thier mess nice old building

You gonna build your own track?

You gonna build your own track?

think i may go with smp and kit built points bro dunno if im ready for scratch building track yet

think an 08 24/5 40 and a duff may do it for the motive power plus of course the industrial shunter

16t minerals and HAA HBAs maybe a brakevan or two gonna have to be small and portable to fit somewhere in the flat

Archived