Hornby L1 - the original

Guest Belgian

Guest Belgian

Hi everybody, can anyone out there/in here lead me to either a full drawing or at least a diagram of a Maunsell Class L1 4-4-0 of the Southern?

I am refurbishing a Triang model and want to update it to modern standards and can't find such information as wheelbases and overall length. On first impressions it seems to be pretty accurate as Triang were starting from scratch and there was no requirement to use existing components as in previous models so I presume it was made almost to scale (with the exception of the tender of course which came from the 3F). The only real inaccuracy I think is the front platform is too long, in order to accommodate the then-standard coupling.

Ta.

JE

Just had a look in my my F J Roche book and no L1 I'm afraid. There is however a drawing of the E1 - not really being SR orientated I am unsure how alike these locos were but you are welcome to a copy - PM me.

I don't have a copy od "Drawn and Described" (I think that is what it's called - Ian Beattie's work, again I think - the chap who used to do all the Railway Modeller drawings)but there might be a drawing in there, otherwise Isinglass will have a drawing of this loco I would think.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian.

TA Lindsay produced a drawing which was published in Model Railway News many years ago. I used this drawing to convert my old Tri-ang model.

I can send you scans via a PM if you wish

Regards

Paul

Guest Belgian

Just had a look in my my F J Roche book and no L1 I'm afraid. There is however a drawing of the E1 - not really being SR orientated I am unsure how alike these locos were but you are welcome to a copy - PM me.

I don't have a copy od "Drawn and Described" (I think that is what it's called - Ian Beattie's work, again I think - the chap who used to do all the Railway Modeller drawings)but there might be a drawing in there, otherwise Isinglass will have a drawing of this loco I would think.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

The E1s (and D1s) looked very similar to the L1s but had a shorter coupled wheelbase and different tenders and cabs. I believe the 'family' look was the result of James Claydon who had come to Ashford from Derby and become Maunsell's chief draughtsman, thus the distinct family resemblance to the Midland 2Ps as well (Hornby, of course, took advantage of this when they ruined modified the L1 molds to create their pre-Airfix/Mainline 2P).

I have been sent a drawing just now outside this forum of the L1 but it has no dimensions appended (it may be the Ian Beattie one). So far it appears that the wheelbase is 6' 3" + 8' 0" + 10' 0" and (already known) the tender is 6' 6" + 6' 6". Can anyone confirm these figures?

Guest Belgian

TA Lindsay produced a drawing which was published in Model Railway News many years ago. I used this drawing to convert my old Tri-ang model.

Regards

Paul

That would be much appreciated.

JE

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

As I mentioned in my post earlier - I'd like a copy of the L1 drawing to allow me to detail my l1 too - if OK with you

Thanks,

Ian

Guest Belgian

I think both I and Brian now have all we need to proceed, and all in less than half a day - very many thanks to RMWeb and Andy for giving me the unique forum on which to request it and to the respondents for getting it, especially PaulG, OFFTHERAILS and Jim109.

The figures I gave for wheelbases above were out - by ½ an inch, they should have been 6' 3" + 8' 0½" + 10' 0" .

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JE

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I'm a newby on here, though have been lurking in the backgound.....I'm also attempting to re-build/detail a very old L1 (In fact the second loco I ever had - back in 1961!). Late departed father 'converted' the L1 into a 2P - long before Triang/Hornby ever attempted it! He built the cab and splashers up with wood and wood glue! I've spent the last week or so removing that, the moulded rails and pipes/westinghouse brake etc., Sadly the modified cab collapsed, so as part of the re-built I'm going to have to scratch build the cab! I've been sanding down the plastic - revealling a bright shade of LMS Crimson lake (I assume!) which the model wore in about 1967 (before I painted it black!) .

I'm now down to the bare green plastic!

Anyway , If the drawing's are still available - could I ask for a copy too please?

Many thanks in advance!

Bill

Many thanks for all of your replies. I'll have a look out for the Pictorial Record Rod, you can't have enough books!

Please don't ask for something which might contravene forum copyright rules.

Sorry, I was just following the lead on the other requests...

• 2 weeks later...

There is a line drawing of 3 planes on page 19 of Ian Beattie “ Southern Locomotives to scale “

published by D. Bradford Barton Ltd ISBN 0 85153 389 2 issued 1981

There are no dimensions with the drawings but in the frontispiece they are shown as:

Overall Length 56' 7 5/8” ( seven & five eights )

Width 8' 4”

Engine wheelbase 24' 3 1/2” ( three & half)

Boiler Pitch 8' 7”

Leading Wheels Diameter 3' 7”

Coupled Wheels Diameter 6' 8”

Tender Wheels Diameter 4' 0”

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

If you have an old L1 would it be possible to fit the P2 cassis to the body of one. I only mentioned it cause I buggered the motor in the one I got. And attempt to repair with my soldering Iron has resulted in melting of part of it and making me feel sick...

If you have an old L1 would it be possible to fit the P2 cassis to the body of one. I only mentioned it cause I buggered the motor in the one I got. And attempt to repair with my soldering Iron has resulted in melting of part of it and making me feel sick...

Don't think even OVSB himself thought of that one!

A 2.8.2 might be a little big for L1 duties on the Eastern/Central section?

Cheers,

Peter C.

Don't think even OVSB himself thought of that one!

The mind boggles at the concept of an air-smoothed 4-4-0!

Then again, things could be done with a butchered Dapol BoB kit..........

There WAS an air-smoothed 4-4-0! See Plate 246 in The Power of the Arthurs, Nelsons and Schools. If eastleigh did it with plywood, then a Railroad Schools and some Plasticard must be a possibility.

I'd be interested to see a photo of a Triang L1 that's been detailed and repainted (especially in lined BR black), as I've got one upstairs, waiting in the queue for the works. I never understood why Triang didn't do at least one batch in the correct livery.

My L1 came out for a spin a few weeks ago when I did a Triang and Dublo day on the club layout. Originally bought off ebay cheap for a detailing project, when it arrived it was in a lot better condition that the seller described and is near enough mint. Consequently I can't bring myself to do anything with it now.

post-7316-0-99728000-1397521311.jpg

Archived